A question about The Qabalah Workbook For Magicians

BleuReynard

Hello, all

I have taken a shine to the Kabbalah after my study of the Thoth tarot. Recently I have ordered "The Qabalah Workbook For Magicians: A Guide To The Sephiroth" by Anita Kraft

Has anyone read it and can tell me what to expect? It's been given pretty good reviews and Lon Milo DuQuette has wrote the forward portion of the book.

Zephyros

I haven't read it, but as far as I'm concerned, if DuQuette recommends it, that's good enough for me.

Richard

I haven't read it, but as far as I'm concerned, if DuQuette recommends it, that's good enough for me.
Hmmmmmm.... Maybe so, maybe not. I would need to read his entire foreword before finally making up my mind.

Zephyros

Hmmmmmm.... Maybe so, maybe not. I would need to read his entire foreword before finally making up my mind.

Well, I'm not saying I would automatically think it's the best book in the world, but it would pique my interest enough to read it. A foreward doesn't mean the book is in his style in any way, but it does suggest a certain integrity, an assumption that at the very least, he doesn't abhor it.

devilkitty

The persnickety mineralogist in me -- yes, I hold a M.Sc. in it and have published research in peer-reviewed journals -- is rather annoyed by the fact that Kraft doesn't seem to understand the difference between a synthetic gem and a simulant. (As an example, cubic zirconia is not a "synthetic diamond".)

Aside from that little matter, it's not a bad book, though somewhat repetitive in nature; it is definitely Crowley/GD oriented. It does fill something of a void, but I would certainly supplement it with other works. It is, as advertised, a "workbook". The underlying theory of the system is better elucidated elsewhere.