Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings

A2 pub

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Games & Fun

Citizen

BlueDragonfly 

I'm not really sure how much holiday decorating I'll do this year. I'm the only one at home if this job works out for bro(fingers crossed). I got my December schedule in the mail and will be working the 25th, which is fine with me, love that holiday pay. I do have the Solstice(21st) off and won't be accepting any substitute shifts to work.....that's the plan anyway.
Top   #221
Citizen

Rhinemaiden 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonfly View Post
Good evening to you, linnie! I can't say that I've ever had a traditional meat pie.

I've made a few meat pies lately that aren't really from recipes. A round pie crust baked in a square pan(8 inch), filled with a little meat, thin sliced potatoes, onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms(all precooked), then I fold the rounded edges over the top and bake till the crust is done, then sprinkle parmesan cheese liberally on top. I call them hobbit pies, because they look so rustic/homemade. I've tried them with ground sausage, hamburger and steak, all with good results.
oh, that sounds good!

We have meat pies here... turnover types called "pates (pah'-tays)" filled with either ground beef, chicken, or saltfish... and "rotis (roh'-tees) larger with added potatoes, veggies etc.

http://www.fromaway.com/cooking/jamaican-beef-patties
Top   #222
Citizen

Rhinemaiden 

Quote:
I'm not really sure how much holiday decorating I'll do this year. I'm the only one at home if this job works out for bro(fingers crossed). I got my December schedule in the mail and will be working the 25th, which is fine with me, love that holiday pay. I do have the Solstice(21st) off and won't be accepting any substitute shifts to work.....that's the plan anyway.
I went cheap and cheerful minimalist this year... decorations were either "new" from the flea market, or old goodies from years past, and the 2 plants I bought at Home Depot on black friday... on the doors I have tree topper bows I bought on sale last year... I have a small Christmas village set up for night time... that's it... and of course my Tanqueray bottle tree!
Top   #223
Resident

Flaxen 

My decorations are always cheap - recycled family baubles!
Top   #224
Born Silver-Haired

linnie 

Quote:
Good evening to you, linnie! I can't say that I've ever had a traditional meat pie.

I've made a few meat pies lately that aren't really from recipes. A round pie crust baked in a square pan(8 inch), filled with a little meat, thin sliced potatoes, onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms(all precooked), then I fold the rounded edges over the top and bake till the crust is done, then sprinkle parmesan cheese liberally on top. I call them hobbit pies, because they look so rustic/homemade. I've tried them with ground sausage, hamburger and steak, all with good results.
Evening, Blue It sounds as though your traditional meat pies are way better than some of the stuff served up here. Most school canteens here serve meat pies that are tasty enough, fattening, salty, and don't really have huge amounts of meat in them... just a handful of minced meat bound in some sort of gravy to hold it all together.... Most meat pies are eaten with tomato sauce (ketchup), because they are not tasty enough to eat on their own merit... and yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinemaiden View Post
oh, that sounds good!

We have meat pies here... turnover types called "pates (pah'-tays)" filled with either ground beef, chicken, or saltfish... and "rotis (roh'-tees) larger with added potatoes, veggies etc.

http://www.fromaway.com/cooking/jamaican-beef-patties
It does sound good, doesn't it? Rotis sounds Indian? I'm sure I ate rotis often when I travelled through India years ago... Yum....

Oops... seriously late again, and I have an English-Aunty-in-law to show around tomorrow Best away.... good night Est, RM, Flaxen, Blue and all else who are lurking in the Pub
Top   #225
Citizen

BlueDragonfly 

That sounds lovely for a tropical themed decorating plan!

I might do a garland of fresh greens and pinecones around the kitchen doorway, for the last 2 weeks of the season, mid-month till New Year's. They dry out pretty quickly, so don't last more than that, but they do smell lovely. And maybe a centerpiece of fresh greens, a few decorations and candles for the kitchen table.
Top   #226
Citizen

BlueDragonfly 

G'Night linnie! Sleep Well.

RM, your pates sound alot like pasties, but pasties have more veggies(potatoes, tupnips) and a gravy, very much a turnover style pie. Pasties have quite a history in Michigan, were made for miners in the U.P. to take to work for their lunches....origins are Irish, I think. They do look good, though!
Top   #227
Citizen

Rhinemaiden 

ok, here we are: PIX

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhinema...7632093204883/
Top   #228
Citizen

BlueDragonfly 

Very Nice, RM! I love the storage unit in the background of the first pic, too! Wish I could find something like that for here! Is the little tree some sort of fir? Can you maintain it as a year-round plant?
Top   #229
Citizen

Rhinemaiden 

Quote:
G'Night linnie! Sleep Well.

RM, your pates sound alot like pasties, but pasties have more veggies(potatoes, tupnips) and a gravy, very much a turnover style pie. Pasties have quite a history in Michigan, were made for miners in the U.P. to take to work for their lunches....origins are Irish, I think. They do look good, though!
the rotis are more like pasties (I've heard them referred to as Cornish Pasties)

love your thoughts for decorating... I adore the smell of fresh pine!
Top   #230

Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2020 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.