My first Gothic reading

Alissa

This morning, a friend of mine came over for a visit.

"Look at this new deck I have!" I told her, pouncing on her with the Vargo in hand. My friend has been getting readings from me for over a year now, and in that time her own interest in Tarot has blossomed; she's also learning to read her own cards as well.

"Oh MAN~!" She couldn't believe her eyes. "Oh my god ... I'm getting another tattoo..." and I could tell, she meant it. She went through the deck with "Oh WOWs" here and there, marvelling.

We ended up color copying 6 cards that she liked so much, she seriously wants one of the 6 to be inked. Like, in the next week. I've never seen anyone take to cards so fast in my life.

She wanted a reading anyhow, so I was able to use my Vargos for the first time, which was Fun~! Simple three card reading, a PPF on the question she posed.

Reading with the cards was far more intuitive than my Universal Waites. This deck is another that challenges me to leave behind book knowledge and stardardized meanings while reading.

I found myself going off on tangents, I didn't know why. Open mouth, speak words.

After it was done, I shrugged to her. If she would've been a first time client, I probaby would have apologized. I felt like I had gotten little that made sense outta the 15 minutes I had sat and talked talked talked at her.

"Sorry it didn't make more sense."

"Oh NO! Dude, this is the EXACT reading I needed, it told me EXACTLY what I needed to know." I asked her to explain, because I was curious.

She pointed to the cards, repeating things I'd said and then telling me who she saw them applying towards in ways I of course didn't know.

My response ......... COOL~! :D

Neat deck.

Darla

Cool! :)

I just got my Gothic Tarot and haven't done a reading yet but I can imagine that reading with it is quite intuitive. In fact, in my opinion the messages on the cards of the minor arcana often differ a lot from the traditional meanings. So the best foundation for intuitive reading and the whole atmosphere just screams for this as well. I'm curious, which 6 cards did your friend choose?

Does anyone else have reading experiences with this deck? Please share! :p

Adjustment

Thank you for shearing such enlightening experience with us Alissa.

WolfyJames

My first reading with The Gothic was a question about our relationship, the deck and I. I did a Celtic Cross spread. The outcome card was The Lovers. I just thought that this card was so powerful at this exact place in the spread, I was amazed by it. And it's true that I love this deck... to death. ;)

I've been using it lately for the Seeker's Question in the Reading Exchange Forum, to try it out and make me use it. So far, the cards are very talkatives. It's been like that though since I've almost finished studying the cards, before it was more like a blur: I was lost in the mist.

I'm eager to see what you, Darla and Tara Deck, will come up with readings with this deck.

Alissa

Darla said:
I'm curious, which 6 cards did your friend choose?
The Moon, The Knight of Wands, the Three of Swords, the Wheel of Fortune, The 3 of Pentacles, and I'm blanking on the last one.

The 3 of pentacles and the one I'm forgetting she liked the stone faces only, not the entire card - she likened it to what she called, "Laugh Now, Cry Later". The one I'm forgetting showed a carved stone face that is laughing, the 3 of pentacles one is weeping.

She was especially taken with the Wheel of Fortune though. And with the Moon. I think these two will come down to her final decision ;)!

Darla

WolfyJames said:
I'm eager to see what you, Darla and Tara Deck, will come up with readings with this deck.

Sure, I will tell you guys as soon as I have done my first reading. But first I want to study the cards and get to know them a little. Like you said, then it is so much easier. And I feel that this is a very special deck so I don't want to rush it. I think I'm gonna read all the former threads and if I feel like it or discover something else I will add my impressions.

Darla

Alissa said:
The Moon, The Knight of Wands, the Three of Swords, the Wheel of Fortune, The 3 of Pentacles, and I'm blanking on the last one.

The 3 of pentacles and the one I'm forgetting she liked the stone faces only, not the entire card - she likened it to what she called, "Laugh Now, Cry Later". The one I'm forgetting showed a carved stone face that is laughing, the 3 of pentacles one is weeping.

She was especially taken with the Wheel of Fortune though. And with the Moon. I think these two will come down to her final decision ;)!

Yeah, nice cards! But then, are there any cards that aren't cool?(except maybe the Hanged Man)?

Adjustment

WolfyJames said:
My first reading with The Gothic was a question about our relationship, the deck and I. I did a Celtic Cross spread. The outcome card was The Lovers. I just thought that this card was so powerful at this exact place in the spread, I was amazed by it. And it's true that I love this deck... to death. ;)

I've been using it lately for the Seeker's Question in the Reading Exchange Forum, to try it out and make me use it. So far, the cards are very talkatives. It's been like that though since I've almost finished studying the cards, before it was more like a blur: I was lost in the mist.

What a perfect outcome to have the lover as the outcome in a reading about your relationship with this deck.
I haven't done any reading with this deck yet, I want to get to know each card first, I look at them every night before going to bed and then put them under the pillow, I think that by doing this first will help me to develop a stronger relationship with the deck.

WolfyJames

Take your time to study the deck, and spend time with it, there's no hurry. It's normal if you're lost in its mist too. :)

Alissa

I can appreciate wanting to take time to get to know any deck, and this one is certainly no exception. I've posted to some of the study group, and found it a great way to learn the deck.

Isn't it great, though, that there's no book to fall back on? ;)

edited to add : I was nervous reading with the deck too. I told my friend how it was a "new" deck to me, and this was my first time using it. Because I've read for her regularly, she understood completely and was willing to give it a shot, regardless.