Water Faeries?

pippi

While looking through my new deck, I was wondering why there are no water faeries included. There's Tobaira of the Waters, but she isn't really in water, just holding it in her hands.

Aren't there water faeries like sea sprites and nymphs? (It's quite all right if you're laughing at my ignorance right now...I don't mind!) :) I really don't know much about faeries, I'm very new to this world. Are there such things as water faeries?

pickled pixie

I think old Gloominus Doom is a water fae isn't he? :)

pp xxx

faunabay

Well is Losgunna, the frog faerie, which to me is sort of water fae. And the Rarr could be in any element.

There aren't too many fire fae either. Mostly just Solus, and maybe the Singer of Tranfiguration as fire. But that's it for fire as well.

But you're right that there aren't any typical water faeries in Froud's oracle. And when I think about it even his books have mostly earth and air fae. Maybe that's just what he connects with the most. (shrug)

pippi

Thanks for your replies! I'll check out those faeries tonight!

(Speaking of Rarr, my 7 yo son said that's one of his favorite cards, because it reminds him of the snitch ball in Harry Potter. And it's so true!! It does have that same fireball energy!)

Hmmm...now who can we get to create another great oracle...The Water Faeries!?!! :)

faunabay

pippi said:
(Speaking of Rarr, my 7 yo son said that's one of his favorite cards, because it reminds him of the snitch ball in Harry Potter. And it's so true!! It does have that same fireball energy!)
:)
I think he's exactly right. I've always seen the Rarr as a Golden Snitch - well sense the Harry Potter books have some out anyway. ROFL

pippi

Oh, how cool! I'll have to let him know you said so! :)

Jewel

pippi said:
Aren't there water faeries like sea sprites and nymphs? (It's quite all right if you're laughing at my ignorance right now...I don't mind!) :) I really don't know much about faeries, I'm very new to this world. Are there such things as water faeries?
Yes there are!!! Mermaids, watersprites, water nymphs, all kinds of water faeries. The Froud Faeries however simply refuse to be classified. You will find many of the watery characteristics within the Singers. When my faerie guide finally came to me (the blank card in the deck) it was a mermaid, so though I have not drawn her on the card I actully see at as me having a mermaid in the deck.

If you work with this deck regularly, you will find that it comes alive (and yes, will make you think you are crazy and/or wierd when you start feeling and hearing it), and you will see that there is much more there than just a deck of cards. Hard to explain ...

I really hope you enjoy your journey with the faeries, I have been on mine for about 7 years, and they are amazing!

pippi

Jewel said:
Yes there are!!! Mermaids, watersprites, water nymphs, all kinds of water faeries. The Froud Faeries however simply refuse to be classified. You will find many of the watery characteristics within the Singers. When my faerie guide finally came to me (the blank card in the deck) it was a mermaid, so though I have not drawn her on the card I actully see at as me having a mermaid in the deck.
How cool! I haven't worked with it enough yet to catch a glimpse of my fairy.

I really hope you enjoy your journey with the faeries, I have been on mine for about 7 years, and they are amazing!
Thanks Jewel!! :)

fina

Elements?

When I see faeries, they don't fit into one element nicely. I don't believe that faeries fit into nice human constructed categories. I find this a large problem with humanity, we force nature into human-constructed laws which may not really apply. Take light for example: it holds both the properties of a particle and a wave; so it doesn't fit into the wave or the particle theories. So what do we do, we just make an exception.

I don't mean to offend anyone's beliefs. This doesn't mean believing in a separation of the four elements in invalid in anyway. We all need rules and laws to help us understand the world around us (and especially the worlds we cannot touch). I really think faeries appear or make their presence known in how we think they should. I don't think they have a physical body, so they sort of patch one together out of pieces of our imagination (and of other's). So, if you think a faery you experience near a river should be a water faery, maybe she'll pop up that way.

Does anyone else agree with this, or is it all in my head?

ellirhyn

Water faeries, nobody mentioned Undines or Selkies or Kelpies. . . though I don't remember seeing any in the Froud Oracle. Every time I look at any of the cards, I see something new, so I'm sure there's one in there lurking, just waiting for my eyes to find it!

I do see Luathas the Wild as mostly a Fire Faerie though. Green Will 'o the Wisp fire thats barely on the edge of control and could lead one down a fiery path of destruction if they're not careful.