Pearls of Wisdom - Four of Swords

Rede Seeker

In an earlier post discussing the '2, 3, and 4 of Swords', I wrote the following:

"On the 4 of Swords - is that the same bearded man from the 2 and 3 of Swords? He is sitting alone in the wilderness, a bed roll and banner nearby. Day is dawning or ending; birds coming from or going to their nests. What interests me is that the four swords surround him and form the Rune Ingwaz, the Rune of containment and gestation useful in creating a boundary so whatever is within is protected while it comes to full form and flavor. The arch on the border contains Wunjo (Joy/Fellowship), Gebo (Gift), Isa (Ice), and Perthro (Luck). The formula could be interpreted as a call to the Spriits of that place, that he comes freely for communion with them; he has released expectations of what is to come and trusts his Luck to see him through it. The man, presumeable a knight based on the nearby helmet has separated himself from society for a reason and judging from the length of his hair and beard, he's been waiting a while. The blue sworling sphere in the lower right corner has me stumped."

At the center of thw blue sworling sphere is a pearl.

There is a bee near the hilt of each sword. The man sits on a circular patch of brown earth surrounded by thick grass. He holds a short string of pearls and a yellow flower, similar to the flowers dotting his campsite. Those yellow flowers remind me of little fires. Check out the Temperance, Star, Death, Two of Cups and Knight of Cups - those little yellow flowers dot the lansdcape there, too.

There are at least six Earth Spirits forming the mountains in the distance.

There is a freely flowing river. It is bordered by bare earth then thick grass, similar to the patch of earth and greenery that the man is sitting on. As the river flows, kept within it's borders, the tides within the man are flowing, kept within the borders marked by the swords forming the Ingwaz Rune.

The Runes are discussed above. Here are the Rune Totals:
Wunjo + Gebo = 8 + 7 = 15 = Elhaz = Connection with the Gods; Protection
Isa + Perthro = 11 + 14 = 24 = Othila = Home and Family; Othila is my Rune of 'Journey's End' - whatever you seek, suffered for, and achieved becomes part of you and through the Clan Connection of Othila, it becomes part of them, too.
Elhaz + Othila = 15 + 24 = 39 = 3 + 9 = 12 = Jera = Harvest, Reward for your efforts

This card is heavily loaded with Runes for internal growth that extends beyond the self. If we add Ingwaz to the Rune Tally:
22 + 39 = 61 = 6 + 1 = 7 = Gebo = Gift, mutual exchange

Marli

another great descprition RS!

I just wanted to add some of the other things on this card that I noticed...

For some reason my eyes kept going back to a couple different things... The first of which is the presence of crystals in the lower left hand corner among what looks like water?

Another part of this image that stood out for me was the bees - even though they are all circling in the same direction seemingly protecting him, it occurred to me that they all had a different view of the same scenery, maybe indicative of him taking the time to find a new/different perspective.

The Last thing that kept standing out for me was the fact that he choose to hoist the flag - was he standing guard for a hidden army, with his sword and helmet at the ready, taking the opportunity of solitude to ponder his current situation..

And yes, I am also at a loss for the sphere - the only thing that comes to mind is fact that whatever it is has the same swirl pattern as the water in the lower quadrant of the stream, lending to the thought that he is soo at one with the nature around him that he is able to draw energy from all things around him ie the water and the fire.

Marli

The blue sworling sphere in the lower right corner

RS,

It's the man's shield!!!! though I have to admit I had help... (Roxi told me)

Just thought you would want to know!

emmsma

I must say I love this card.

The knight sitting, waiting, in quiet contemplation. His expression is one of great reverence. He seems a man at peace.

He has closed himself in, bound by his swords, and has disarmed himself. His shield and helmet are outside the sword boundary. Even his bedroll and the fire - comforts for him, and available, have been shunned.

He is on a quest and such luxuries are beneath his notice.

So, still, he is, that the bees dare to venture near.

The Earth Goddess sleeps peacefully in the background, asleep before the sun has fully set.

This is a card that tells me to be at peace. The fights have been fought - and won or lost - are behind me now. The next phase is approaching, and I must ready myself in stillness and quietude.

jcwirish

What I really like about this 4 of Swords is that it shows us something more active then the typical 4 Swords with a sleeping figure. The figure here is sitting calmly in a protected space, but he appears to be deep in contemplation or meditation. He's holding his pearls as one might hold a set of rosary beads, and he may be praying for guidance or enlightenment.

I see so much more here then the more typical interpretations. The figure is not giving in to mental and physical exhaustion. He is actively participating in his own mental recovery, and he is gathering energy for the next leg of his journey. It's a more powerful and healing image for me.

jcwirish

emmsma said:
I must say I love this card.

The knight sitting, waiting, in quiet contemplation. His expression is one of great reverence. He seems a man at peace.

He has closed himself in, bound by his swords, and has disarmed himself. His shield and helmet are outside the sword boundary. Even his bedroll and the fire - comforts for him, and available, have been shunned.

He is on a quest and such luxuries are beneath his notice.

So, still, he is, that the bees dare to venture near.

The Earth Goddess sleeps peacefully in the background, asleep before the sun has fully set.

This is a card that tells me to be at peace. The fights have been fought - and won or lost - are behind me now. The next phase is approaching, and I must ready myself in stillness and quietude.

I love this card too Emm.

I like what you wrote about the battles being fought and done. He is perhaps contemplating his conduct, his victories and defeats. He's learning from the experience to ensure that he makes the best choices for himself in the future. He's not sitting in harsh judgement of himself. He's simply assessing the situation and contemplating where to go from here.

emmsma

Yes, while he is at rest - still - he is not shown to be passive, weak or at the mercy of his surroundings.

He is resting the body, while his mind works. He is preparing and aware.

I do like the touch of the string of pearls he holds. Rosary, prayer beads, worry beads. They give his body something to do, something to work with as he contemplates. I get the impression that stillness is not the natural state for this man, so he remains in the posture through great effort.

jcwirish

emmsma said:
Yes, while he is at rest - still - he is not shown to be passive, weak or at the mercy of his surroundings.

He is resting the body, while his mind works. He is preparing and aware.

I do like the touch of the string of pearls he holds. Rosary, prayer beads, worry beads. They give his body something to do, something to work with as he contemplates. I get the impression that stillness is not the natural state for this man, so he remains in the posture through great effort.

What are your thoughts on the three birds in the sky?

emmsma

The first thing that comes to mind when looking at the shadows of the birds flying by, is that they represent something in the past. Something that he is here, perhaps, to say goodbye to and let go of.

Releasing, as in grief.

jcwirish

emmsma said:
The first thing that comes to mind when looking at the shadows of the birds flying by, is that they represent something in the past. Something that he is here, perhaps, to say goodbye to and let go of.

Releasing, as in grief.

Ooh, I really like that idea and it makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know why they were stumping me. I felt they were important, but I just couldn't discern what I thought was their significance. Thanks. :)