Publishing Deck Questions - Size, Costs, etc.

HudsonGray

Make sure you check things every step of the way, if someone is printing for you. I read postings 2 years ago of someone who ordered and waited for the shipment--it arrived on time and with color beautiful on every card BUT they'd printed it on magazine page paper, flimsy stuff that bent like printer paper--not card stock. He hadn't checked, and he was out the entire cost of the print run, they didn't reprint the deck for him because he had 'ok'd' it and they'd done their obligation.

!!!

I don't know what he ended up doing, he dropped off the yahoo board after that.

adriayna

Wow, thank you so much everyone. I've been reading extensively on printing, and this has helped clarify a lot of my questions. I am waiting to hear back on a quote from a local printer here to see what they can do for me.

Frannielee: The layout information and sizes and such was very thorough and helpful. Thank you so much! I DO like the idea of making a few cards for meanings/info. I'm not sure about the LWB yet; I know I need to include information on some of my own thoughts on interpretation, but I am not sure how extensive I want it to get :). As for boxes; I've also been thinking of creative packaging of those. Even though I'm planning on getting it professionally printed, I do want a personal touch, so the packaging area might be where I can do that. I'm the kind of person who makes my own business cards by hand using collage materials! :) So, I'm not sure....and I suppose I have some time to find out as I work through painting the rest of the suits :).

Baba-Prague: Thank you for the advice about online printers. I will definitely look for a local printer here then and won't even try to go online. I don't have money to burn on a crappy print job. If there isn't one I'm satisfied with in Lafayette, Indianapolis is only about an hour drive so I'm sure many other options there exist.

Hudson - Great advice. I will get everything in writing before proceeding.

Thank you both for your time and knowledge. It is much appreciated! :)

adriayna

Oh! I just realized I did have one more question after reading your posts.

When you do the layout, do the cards have to be right up against each other for the cutting? Or do you need to leave space between them? In other words, if my cards were 2.75" long, do I leave a .10" space or whatever, or just put them right up against each other? That will also help me decide on sizing :).

franniee

adriayna said:
Oh! I just realized I did have one more question after reading your posts.

When you do the layout, do the cards have to be right up against each other for the cutting? Or do you need to leave space between them? In other words, if my cards were 2.75" long, do I leave a .10" space or whatever, or just put them right up against each other? That will also help me decide on sizing :).

It all depends on whether or not the cards are going to be borderless or with a white border.... (bleed or no bleed). So if you will have color right to the edge of the card this means they will need to bleed then you need to allot space between the cards and this can vary - 1/16" or 1/8" - (in which you need to extend the card that much all around) 1/8" is standard but you can go as low as 1/16th but you need to check with the printer....each one is different. If they are all white on the borders then you can "kiss" cut them and they can butt each other... Also it depends on the corners... and the binder - the person cutting and finishing the cards... too many factors to consider....

but you do not make the layout - the printer does it.... I only told you about the layout so you can see how much room you have to figure the size of the cards... it is also helpful when you know how it will be produced. :D

:heart:

You need to pick the paper and make sure the printer buys what you want.... you need a heavy card stock. Have the printer get samples and touch it - cut it to size and see if this is what you want.. there are many options out there very many!!! Let them help you with your picks...

do not go to an online printer! That is just asking for trouble!!!!
you need to be there on press... schedules can be arranged - I always accommodated my customers without flack...I got in at the crack of dawn and we ran 24 hours but the night was for regular jobs - client oks i reserved for the day because I had to be there with the person on press. :D So don't sweat that. Schedules can be rearranged. If you are late for a run or hold up the press interminably they will charge you for press time - I never did but some printers do... it's not unethical.

OK that is all I can think of right now.... let me know if there is anything else. :heart: good luck!