The "Magus"

smleite

Well, I have been “chasing” a possible relation between Le Tarot de Marseille and Troubadour culture, a quest that continuously brings several interesting possible connections to light, including Cathar and other Gnostic principles. Recently, I found a curious text I would like to share with you. It is about “The father of heresy: Simon of Samaria, called 'Magus (the Magician)'”. In this context, I couldn’t resist to see the first Arcane, Le Bateleur, as an “alter ego” of Simon, “the father of heresy” – and when I read that “(…) he might not only have become the thirteenth Apostle but also the fourth Wise Man”, the image of that three-legged table also come to my mind…

The link is http://www.ymago.net/isarchive/institut/english/heresy.htm

Silvia

jmd

It was only last Saturday, in afternoon discussions with another member here, that I again suggested the possible connection between Simon Magus and the Basteleur...

Though this does indeed make some sense, there may be other reasons to also connect him with either the Tower or the Hermit.

It is also interesting that Irenaeus of Lyons's Against Heresies (adversus haereses) is one of the texts I am using in preparation for the card I have been allotted in the third Aeclectic Community Project... but that's another story!

This may indeed be a wonderful thread of discussion :)

smleite

Oh, jmd, forgive me for opening this thread without performing a previous search on the issue... I would then have found that you had already posted about it. I was lazy, as I usually am. Sorry!

Silvia

jmd

I probably did not make myself clear in my previous post - so my apologies. My discussions were with another member who is also here, but the discussion taking place at Tarot Café in Melbourne, not online.

In any case, any discussions which may have previously arisen are always useful to visit in different and new forms, and if threads are better merged (in my perhaps erroneous opinion) for future further reference, then they can always be...

The Bateleur, as prestigitator and Magus, indeed has numerous possible wonderful associations, and this thread provides a wonderful opportunity for further discussions of Simon Magus as possible Bateleur.

:)