Jodorowsky Camoin: Those various mysterious little balls

tmgrl2

Thank you so much for this translation, Rusty!!

I am very impressed with Jodo's description. I have the deck so I was able to look at it , while I read your post....Now I am anxious to read more...The perspectives he gives have certainly expanded my view of Le Mat.

terri

tmgrl2

I see that the book is available at Amazon.ca...it seems expensive for a paperback, but after reading what you translated, I am interested, even though it is in French...

Thanks again...Guess we have to wait for Camoin's book and Hadar's as well....

terri

Rusty Neon

tmgrl ... Many French language trade-paperbacks go for the price of English language hardbacks. In this case, the Jodo book is a hardback for about the same price that French language trade-paperbacks go for.

tmgrl2

TY, Rusty...I ordered it. Couldn't pass it by. When I converted Canadian to American, it wasn't that pricey...

terri

Rusty Neon

tmgrl ... I hope I'm not being an 'enabler'. I just noticed on amazon.ca that the book is "not yet released", but I'm sure it will be soon as it seems to be on store shelves already.

tmgrl2

LOL...Rusty, I don't buy anything I don't want...actually, Amazon.ca says it should be shipped between 6/23 and 7/6..which is fine for me, since finding it on any shelves here is unlikely...I know I will refer to it..since I have the Camoin deck and like and use it..So not to worry about "enabling" me...
My retirement library is growing...

When I have some time, I'm going to study the various mysterious little balls in the Camoin deck...but for now was intrigued by your post and by the little balls I had already noticed.

ty

terri

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon said:

The best comparison deck to use with the Jodo-Camoin is the Héron (photoreproduction of the Bibliothèque Nationale museum specimen of the 1760 Conver Tarot de Marseille deck). This is because Jodo & Camoin used that museum specimen (design and colours) as the starting point for the Jodo-Camoin 'restored' Tarot de Marseille deck.

I bought the "woodcut" version from Camoin of the 1760 Conver..In Le Bateleur, it doesn't look as if there is a little ball in the right hand at all. It looks like there is an outline of one just beyond the flesh color of the hand. Also, on Le Mat, the "jingle bells" have the color of the garment upon which they rest...so the "white one" with the lines in the Camoin, is one of their "additions." Hadar has a little yellow ball in Le Bateleur's right hand, but on Le Fol he has all green "jingle bells." I didn't go past looking at these three TdM decks...

terri

Rusty Neon

Following up on tmgrl's post above, I'd like to point out, for clarification to others, that the woodcut version of which tmgrl speaks is the Camoin Bicentennial TdM deck, a 20th century printing (circa 1960) using the 1760 plates and circa 1880 colours. The Bibliothèque Nationale specimen (which is photoreproduced by Héron) in fact dates back to 1760 and has colours of 1760. There is another museum specimen in Italy of a Conver dating back to 1760 (photoreproduced by Lo Scarabeo) which has colours of 1760 that are different from the BN museum specimen. The Jodo-Camoin uses the BN (Héron) as the starting point for design and colours, although they had regard to other early tarot decks in the process of 'restoration'.

Rafaël

about the mysterious "little balls"

I joined in just today and am trilled to read all this information!! Here’s some of the things I recently learned about the TdM by Camoin & Jodorowsky:

I think there are (at least) 3 different “ball-shapes” we are talking about: I can see eggs, little circles with symbols in it and “spheres”.
In LE MAT for example there could be an egg in his hand, there are many circles with a symbol and there is a sphere on the ground.

There are lots of eggs in this Tarot deck. Some of them are well hidden. There’s one in the hair of LE PENDU, one under de leg of the lion in LA FORCE and at least three of them in LE MONDE.
The most common signification of the egg is “something that is potentially present”.

In the hat of LE MAT there are 2 circles. Each one contains a moon-symbol. One is up, the other is down. In the white circle under his left hand one can distinguish the mathematical symbol Pi…

The sphere on the ground could be a golf ball =:) Or a reference to the “cosmic egg” that initiated the big bang…