Payen Tarot de Marseille - 1713

Rusty Neon

I have found this webpage showing B&W scans of all the major arcana of the Payen deck (rather than the version with redrawn/retitled cards called Tarot of Nostradamus):

http://www.tarot.org.il/Payen/

and this webpage some colour scans of four of the cards:

http://www.philippe-camoin.com/tarot_en/tarots_anciens/payen/_cadres/payen_choix_ini.asp

If anyone has other webpage links to scans of cards from this deck, including the minor arcana, please post.

According to the Camoin site (the second link), the Payen deck is "somewhat remote from the traditional pattern. Its features have been treated rather freely, i.e., the use of flowers everywhere which has no symbolic value whatsoever. Yet this deck contains the remains of the more ancient decks it was copied from. One can learn a lot from this deck, despite the fact that the author overused stylizing."

Thanks.

P.S. On my computer, the images for the first linked webpage stop after XI Force. Is it the webpage or just my computer?

Lee

I was able to see the whole page, 22 Majors plus the 2 of Coins and 2 of Cups.

-- Lee

jmd

Thankyou for that link, RustyNeon.

I have visited this wonderful Israeli-based tarot.org.il site at various times, but had not noted the 1713 Payen Marseille scans before.

tmgrl2

Thank you, Rusty!

I have saved the page to peruse at my leisure or to use as a reference.

terri

Jewel-ry

Thanks for this Rusty,

I get the whole page, the same as Lee.

:)

Fulgour

jmd said:
Thankyou for that link, RustyNeon.

I have visited this wonderful Israeli-based tarot.org.il site at various times, but had not noted the 1713 Payen Marseille scans before.
Many, many thanks here as well! I wonder if the artist knew
Jean Dodal personally?

I've created a folder to preserve the entire page card by card.

kenji

All the 78 Payen cards can be seen at the website
of "Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library".

http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/dl_crosscollex/

Just make a search using the keyword "Cary" and
see...! :)

There you can see a lot of "treasures":
Visconti cards, d'Este cards, another Payen deck...

(The complete Payen deck is on "page 8" of
the 16 pages.)

Ross G Caldwell

The Payen 1713 deck used as the basis for the "Tarot of the Centuries" or "Nostradamus Tarot" (1984) is from the private collection of Alan Borvo. It will be interesting to compare the designs on this adaptation with the real deck (with allowance for the raison d'être of the deck in the first place).

It is interesting to know that there are two complete 1713 Payens in existence (Payen is Avignon, not Marseille).

The Borvo Payen is discussed on page 71 of Depaulis, "Tarot: jeu et magie" (1984) cat. 38; Nostradamus, p. 144, cat. 153.

jmd

Thanks for the correction, Ross.

My post was not meant to imply that Payen worked from Marseilles - but rather referred to the type of sequence depicted. I probably would have more clearly written 'Payen ("Marseilles" style from Avignon)'.

Wonderful further resources for all of us to peruse :)