The Pictish Oracle

BodhiSeed

It all began as an idea for a friend's birthday, and then kept growing along with my research. When my ideas and artwork were combined with the amazing wood and laser work of Waleswoman (aka Alaska Laser Maid on Etsy), the Pictish Oracle was the result. There are 24 Pictish symbols engraved on 1 1/2 x 1 inch lacquered or oiled wooden tiles, with a simple muslin cloth drawstring bag. A PDF file of their meanings is included with purchase. (These will be sold through Walewoman's Etsy shop).

From the LWB for The Pictish Oracle © 2013 Beverly King

The Picts were indigenous inhabitants of ancient Scotland. First named in a Latin poem in AD 297, they were referred to as the Picti, or “Painted People.” In the early 3rd century, a number of smaller tribes had been absorbed into the Caledonii and Maeatae; by the end of the century, both were labeled Picti. It is possible these painted (or tattooed) people later transferred the symbols on their bodies to the stones for which they are known.
The Pictish stones have been categorized in two main groups, Class I or Class II. Class I stones have incised symbols on large boulders or stone slabs and are thought to have been created in the 6th and 7th centuries. Class II stones were carved in relief on rectangular shaped slabs and are thought to have been created in the 8th and 9th centuries when the Picts began converting to Christianity. The Pictish symbols have been found not only on carved stones, but also on cave walls, jewelry and domestic items. There are a quite a few theories about the meaning and purpose of these symbols. Historians and archeologists have imagined them to be grave stones, boundary markers, signposts, marriage commemorations, and tribal or lineage emblems. Unfortunately, none of these theories present a statistically significant sample. Without any ancient explanation, the Pictish symbols will likely remain much of a mystery.
The symbols I have chosen for the Pictish Oracle primarily come from the incised Class I stones. They are a collection of geometric figures, real and mythical animals and everyday items. Though I offer a few crumbs of information about them (and suggest a few keywords), most of their oracular meaning is likely to come from your own intuition or from some memory/idea triggered by the image.

Attachments

• Pictish-Oracle-2.jpg
    Pictish-Oracle-2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 516
  • Pictish-Oracle-3.jpg
    Pictish-Oracle-3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 333

WalesWoman

https://www.etsy.com/listing/165995564/pictish-oracle-by-beverly-king
I fell in love with the artwork and the whole concept last spring when BodhiSeed contacted me about creating this. It's been so fun working with Beverly and was so bummed to have to delay working on the finished designs while dealing with health stuff for a few months, because we both were so stoked. I sort of feel like the surrogate mother of this Pictish Oracle and am really excited about it.

The LWB is nicely done, but for the life of me, could not figure out how to print it in a booklet form, so it's available as an emailed PDF file. I am still trying to figure out how to decorate the bags with a rubber stamp and failing miserably, so if anyone has tips and tricks for stamping art onto fabric, I'm all ears and open mind.

If the link and stuff needs moved to Advertisements, just tell me and I'll start a new thread there.

Est

What beautiful pieces. I've just been stung by customs for a deck, so maybe next month when the Other Half has forgotten!
Re stamping on fabric - from memory, you need a fabric with a high thread count, ie tightly woven, to get a good crisp image. The fabric needs pre-washing. You then need an ink pad like Tsukineko VersaColor which can be used on fabric, or fabric paint to coat the stamp. And after it's dry, iron to set. You might want to google though, because I read up on it a while ago and decided it was too much effort, so never tried it and might have faulty memory!
I really do like these images and can imagine using them with coaching clients. Lovely work both of you :)

BodhiSeed

Thank you Est for your kind words and your help with the fabric printing!

I have to say Waleswoman is an excellent "surrogate mother" and I highly recommend her to others! :D

Chronata

Wow...that is truly glorious. Absolutely stunning in design and execution!
You both should be very proud.
(this is so going on my wish list!)

Padma

I definitely found the images beautiful and moving, even just in a picture of it - Christmas list! :love: Beautiful work, both of you!

Alta

BodhiSeed, WalesWoman, I love these! Especially in the darker wood, mostly because I prefer that generally.

btw, yes, fine to post this here.

BodhiSeed

Chronata, Lotus Padma and Alta, I'm so happy that you like them and appreciate your comments. These symbols did move me too Lotus; I'm not sure if it is my Scottish ancestry, the whole mystery that surrounds the symbols or a combination of both! :D Waleswoman has been a delight to work with - she is definitely the Maid of Mastery when it comes to working with wood and lasers.

BodhiSeed

Here are names of the 24 tiles included in this oracle. I don't mind sharing what is written in the LWB for three of them if anyone would like to pick out one:

Animals:
salmon, boar, snake, stag, bull, eagle, Pictish beast, wolf, goose

Everyday Objects:
hammer and anvil, mirror and comb, bow and arrow, broken sword/tuning fork, tongs, cauldron

Geometric figures:
arch, v-rod and crescent, double crescent, double discs, notched rectangle, double hook,ogham circle, rectangle, z-rod

Attachments

• Pictish-Oracle-2.jpg
    Pictish-Oracle-2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 300

manga365

Those are beautiful! Adding to my holiday wishlist. . . :)