Good First Deck for a Beginner?

lalalibra

I suggest whatever deck you are most drawn to...

Shadowscapes was my first deck and I think it's definitely a plus that it comes with a book (that is, if you get the book + deck set)... I was surprised when I came here to find that some have suggested that it's not a good beginner's deck and that it's hard to read with. But I realize that the cards have so much detail that some may indeed find them too small and cluttered. It's really a matter of personal taste and it depends on how you think you read. I personally enjoy a lot of detail (such as in the Paulina Tarot), but I can see how others might find it too dense or distracting - like having too many possible directions to go, or so much to look at all at once. I personally like it because it's great for seeing a wide range of meanings and it's also where intuition comes in (you can pay attention to specific things that draw your attention).

I do think the Shadowscapes book explains the symbolism very well, while still leaving you room to explore the cards for yourself. And the deck is RWS based, so there are plenty of references out there. But it does take work still. You still have to spend time learning and getting used to the cards, but that's true with any deck, especially when you're just starting out. It's a journey, not a destination. It's lovely if enjoy the process. When you really enjoy a deck (the artwork, the feel), then it's likely that you'll be really motivated to work with the deck and you'll end up developing a really close bond with it. I think it's a pretty good sign if the deck itself is what attracted you to Tarot in the first place.

ravynangel

I suggest whatever deck you are most drawn to...

Shadowscapes was my first deck and I think it's definitely a plus that it comes with a book (that is, if you get the book + deck set)... I was surprised when I came here to find that some have suggested that it's not a good beginner's deck and that it's hard to read with. But I realize that the cards have so much detail that some may indeed find them too small and cluttered. It's really a matter of personal taste and it depends on how you think you read. I personally enjoy a lot of detail (such as in the Paulina Tarot), but I can see how others might find it too dense or distracting - like having too many possible directions to go, or so much to look at all at once. I personally like it because it's great for seeing a wide range of meanings and it's also where intuition comes in (you can pay attention to specific things that draw your attention).

I do think the Shadowscapes book explains the symbolism very well, while still leaving you room to explore the cards for yourself. And the deck is RWS based, so there are plenty of references out there. But it does take work still. You still have to spend time learning and getting used to the cards, but that's true with any deck, especially when you're just starting out. It's a journey, not a destination. It's lovely if enjoy the process. When you really enjoy a deck (the artwork, the feel), then it's likely that you'll be really motivated to work with the deck and you'll end up developing a really close bond with it. I think it's a pretty good sign if the deck itself is what attracted you to Tarot in the first place.

deleted :)

amethyst57

Check out decks on this website...pics and everything...
One deck will pick you!
I was going to get a cat themed one, but I went to check out the ones here....
The deck that picked me was the Gilded Tarot, like a ton of bricks LOL

It is, IMO, a great beginners deck ��

lapistablet

I've been reading everything I can find on Tarot for a while now, and am at a point where I just need get some actual, hands-on experience. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions for a good first deck?

I love the Shadowscapes deck. In fact, it was the gorgeous artwork of that deck that drew me to Tarot in the first place. But I recently had a chance to see it in person and I feel like it would be a little harder to read with?

I feel like the cards are dreamy and a little coy in personality, alluding to what they want to say indirectly rather than saying it outright. I don't feel secure enough in my knowledge to be comfortable with that. Should I buy the deck anyway, and just hope I'll learn as I go?

Or should I go for something a little more direct and forthright? Something that says "Here's how it is, so deal with it."

Am I over-thinking this? Can decks even have personalities or am I just being all "woo," as my friends like to tease me about?

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions from all you lovely people.

I don't think you're overthinking it at all, Tarot is about harnessing your personal intuitions and putting them to work to help other people - you've got to relate personally and closely to the tools you're using because intuitive stuff is a pretty "woo" way to work to begin with. And for a tarot reader your tools are your cards.

That said, I also started out with "pretty" decks - my killer have-to-have-it deck was the Vertigo tarot, which is seriously internal and dreamy to read with. But it's hard to get to know the more mystical decks when you're a beginner, and eventually I found that it was a lot easier to learn the basics with a more straightforward and "friendly" deck. I settled on the Sharman-Caselli tarot (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sharman-caselli/) because the artwork is clear, approachable and really well explained in the accompanying book. I almost felt like it was the tarot deck equivalent of the pictures you get in kids' books at first, but as I went along I came to have a lot of respect for that deck. It's got all the depth of any tarot and I'm very personally attached to my S-C deck now. It's my everyday reading deck.

Looking at the Shadowscapes artwork, it's very complex and subtle, isn't it - it reminds me of my Vertigo tarot a little in "attitude", if you see what I mean. I think dreamy and coy is a good way of putting it. I can see why you love it but I can also see how it might not be an easy deck to start with!

I'd say it's up to you in the end - do you want to learn first and do your fancy deck justice later, or do you want to commit absolutely to the Shadowscapes deck because you love it, and deal with the frustrations of a more difficult and abstract learning curve? I've pretty much never met a tarot reader who only has one deck of cards, so it's not like you're limited to only that one for ever and a day!

celticnoodle

I've been reading everything I can find on Tarot for a while now, and am at a point where I just need get some actual, hands-on experience. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions for a good first deck?

I love the Shadowscapes deck. In fact, it was the gorgeous artwork of that deck that drew me to Tarot in the first place. But I recently had a chance to see it in person and I feel like it would be a little harder to read with?

Yes, this is a gorgeous deck--but I myself find it difficult to read with. I don't read with it anymore, but instead I still love the deck and I just enjoy looking at it. It'll be a keeper--just because of that.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions from all you lovely people.
While I and many others will say to pick something you are attracted to--because of course this is always very important--I will tell you to pick a deck that is based on the traditional Rider Waite deck. This is a very well known and widely used deck. Also, I think its easier to read cards that have clear, crisp pictures - such as decks like-

Robin Wood Tarot
Druid Craft
The Gilded Tarot
The Golden Tarot by Kat Black
Hanson Roberts
Legend of the Arthurian Tarot
Morgan-Greer Tarot
and of course, the Rider Waite deck itself!

and there are of course others, but these are a few decks that come to mind for me. There are quite a lot of tarot out there that will based on the Rider Waite and yet have its own style.

Check out the above decks and other decks that are mentioned to you in the "DECKS" section here on A.T. Read the reviews and then if you can, go to a new age shop--as they often have some decks out for a customer to look at. You can open the box and actually hold them and just see how you like them when you have them in your hands.

But, I'd recommend for your first ever deck to go with one based on the Rider Waite Tarot.

Good Luck!

Gulliver

I would suggest:

- Rider Waite Smith Tarot
- first degree clones like the Albano Waite Tarot or the Universal Waite Tarot
- well known and favourite decks like the Gilded Tarot, Golden Tarot, Victorian Romantic Tarot, which follow the RWS System
- or a deck you like so much, that there is enough motivation to work on the cards a bit more

Chimera Dust

This is going to sound incredibly unhelpful, but I believe that it depends on the way you learn best. Some people learn better when they feel safe enough with what they're doing and know they're taking one step at a time. Other people learn best when they just dive in at the deep end. For me, most of my favourite decks have been "difficult" ones, even when I was a beginner. :)

If you think that loving the Shadowscapes so much will keep you motivated enough to get through the tough parts, go for it. If you'd feel more comfortable starting with a deck that would be easier for you for fear that you might feel frustrated or sad, then get something else. Everyone is a bit different, so it's ultimately your decision.

When it comes to the Tarot, there isn't a single, straightforward path. Everyone learns differently and at a different speed. What matters is that you're enjoying yourself and that even the tough parts are worth it in the end. I even know people whose first deck was a Thoth deck because that's what they liked best and were most interested in when they started out.

Do you think you'll learn better and be more motivated if you get a more straightforward deck first? Or would you rather get the Shadowscapes straight away and deal with any difficulties? If you choose the former, then I'd definitely recommend the RWS or another RWS-based deck so you can read the Shadowscapes more easily later on. If you pick the Shadowscapes are your first deck, from what I gather (from another post in this thread) it's RWS-based, which can be helpful if you ever want to branch out into other RWS decks and as a starting point for learning about RWS decks in general.

I've seen that some people have said the deck has cluttery art. I don't own that deck and don't know much about it. However, when it comes to artwork, everyone has completely different preferences. Some people prefer bare bones decks that have very clean artwork while others find it easier to read with cards with lots of details they can pick up on.

As to decks having different personalities, I don't know if I believe that or not, but I think that when we're reading, we can have a certain perception of a deck's answers based on the artwork. Just like how you can have different impressions of different people based on the way they talk, dress, and so on.

FLizarraga

This is going to sound incredibly unhelpful, but I believe that it depends on the way you learn best. Some people learn better when they feel safe enough with what they're doing and know they're taking one step at a time. Other people learn best when they just dive in at the deep end. For me, most of my favourite decks have been "difficult" ones, even when I was a beginner. :)

I beg to differ, Chimera. This is probably the most HELPFUL thing I have heard about learning Tarot, ever. :-D

Nikat

Thanks so much for all the responses! It's been really helpful to see so many different perspectives. It's good to know, too, that other people don't think I'm overthinking it. Most of my friends and family are very decisive, concrete, grounded-in-numbers sort of people, so I think I drive them crazy with my ways lol.

I had completely overlooked the fact that I could get more than one deck. I think I'll get a Rider Waite based deck with a "friendly" feel to it, if you know what I mean, and the Shadowscapes one as well. I don't know which one I'll get more use out of, but at least I'll be actually getting some real experience. I'm so excited!

Eowyn Annwyl

My first deck was Universal Waite and it is a decent RWS deck.