Major Arcana titles: La Maison-Diev

firemaiden

Diana said:
I wondered where my confusion came from, because as soon as he said this, I said to myself "How dumb can you get, Diana - you knew this, so where does your confusion come from and why did you mix up these two terms?" And then I went to check my sources, and I still find references to Maison-Dieu as hospices and places of shelter - even back to 500 AD.

So I still have a nagging feeling at the back of my head which won't go away.

Diana I seem to remember having heard "maison-dieu" and "hôtel-dieu" used interchangeably, and also thought that both had functions in medieval times to shelter pilgrims passing through on their way to St. Jacques le Compostel.

With this in mind, a bit of googling revealed an example where the terms maison-dieu and hôtel-dieu coincide:Hotel Dieu le comte.

A further, unnecessary little pedantic note -- if I am not "standing next to my shoes:" (à côté de mes pompes) the "DE" is not there in the title, because in Old French, there remained a (feebly expressed) genitive case - making the "de" unnecessary - witness the title of the famous romance "La Mort le Roi Artu" (c. 1237) (the Death of King Arthur).

<edited to remove department of redundancy department with Diana's first post>

Ross G Caldwell

firemaiden said:
Diana I seem to remember having heard "maison-dieu" and "hôtel-dieu" used interchangeably, and also thought that both had functions in medieval times to shelter pilgrims passing through on their way to St. Jacques le Compostel.

A further, unnecessary little pedantic note -- if I am not "standing next to my shoes:" (à côté de mes pompes) the "DE" is not there in the title, because in Old French, there remained a (feebly expressed) genitive case - making the "de" unnecessary - witness the title of the famous romance "La Mort le Roi Artu" (c. 1237) (the Death of King Arthur).

Very interesting, thank you.

Personally, I love pedantry. I thrive on pedantry, or displays of what used to be called "erudition" and "learning". So that I shall never forget this lesson in an oblique case indicating possession, equivalent to the construct case of Hebrew and the same obliquity in English and German that permits a construction such as "God House" in English, but not in modern French.

Here is the proof -

"The use of the Old French oblique case without preposition to express possession..."

(On this grammatical construction in Old French, with examples, see LucienFoulet, Petite syntaxe de l’ancien français, 3rd rev. edn. (Paris: Champion, 1968),p. 18 [14–20].)

http://www.smu.edu/arthuriana/access/HSubscribe/12-3/greene.pdf.

Ross

Ross G Caldwell

On the other hand...

The titles on the tarot cards are not truly *old* French, merely old orthography of modern French, so an argument might remain concerning the propriety of the use of the oblique case indicating possession in the case of MAISON.DIEV

Ross

firemaiden

Ah, but the phrase "Maison-dieu" remains in the language tel-quel.

Remember how the old language shines through in place names, proverbs and expressions.

Ross G Caldwell

Of course, that's a strong argument. Many examples could be adduced from any language.

In addition, traditional crafts such as cardmaking will continue to use such fossilized forms long after they have passed out of common use, or the grammar which produced them has anything left to offer the language.

Perhaps what we should look for is a lexicon with abundant examples of 15th and 16th century examples of the term "Maison Dieu", to get at what the designer was thinking.

Ross

Roxanne Flornoy

Why call it Maison Dieu ?

First of all, a bit of French semantics and a detail for Diana. During the Middle Ages in the West, the hospital was called "hôtel Dieu" and not "maison Dieu". The hospital track seems to lead nowhere, though much may depend on what period we're looking at.

The church, at one time at least, was called " maison de Dieu" and not "maison-Dieu".

The Order of the Knights Templars, ziggurats, the tower struck by lightening…

I apologize for not having the time to properly look it up in Kaplan, but I seem to recall that the first "lightening-struck tower" which appears on 15th century Italian tarots is the Charles VI (c. 1480), that is to say a century, or 4 generations of card makers and painters, after the appearance of the naibis. We have no example of the work of popular card makers, apart from the Cary sheet which presents a fantasy TdM model (no card named), before the Noblet, Viéville, anonymous Parisian, Dodal, Payen series. To see the images, consult http://letarot.com/pages/56-le_grand_debat.htm (text in french only, for the moment).

The principal difference between the popular French tarots and the Visconti family resides in this Maison Dieu Arcanum. The "ancestors" Noblet and Dodal portray flames rising from the tower. From Conver on, the flames descend towards the tower.

I have entered a link to a lineup of the Maison Dieu cards of Viéville, Noblet, Dodal and Conver on the opening page of my site http://letarot.com

As for Viéville, emerging from the Rouen-Brussels or piémontaise tradition, he depicts a sort of shepherd, a tree, a herd of sheep and goats and a source of light. This light source is correctly represented in the "old" Noblet and Dodal imagery, and only suggested in the later Conver.

What might all this mean?

Viéville :
A herd of goats and sheep is the traditional representation by the Romanesque people and the cathedral image-makers of "past" lives, while the tree designates growth and the expansion of consciousness. The source of light indicates where conscious illumination resides.

With other TdMs:
The tower is the fortress of the ego, the open crown at its top indicates that the mental has relaxed its grip, the ascending flame speaks of the individual's capacity to fuse avec the divine. We are in Platonic immanence, as opposed to Conver who presents Aristotilian transcendence with a descending flame. Conver nevertheless retains the three traditional spheres which form the light-source: abred, keugant and gwennwed. The outer circle where nothing exists, the middle circle of incarnation, and the inner sphere of the white light of illumination.

With arcanum XVI La Maison Dieu, we find ourselves in the traditional representation of the experience of illumination. It is the place of consciousness, of fusion with the divine. These old tarots convey a simple message: each of us can, by his own efforts and with no help from without, have access to the state of consciousness in which he is illuminated by the white light of what believers choose to call the "Divine", but which in fact has nothing to do with religion. We are dealing here with what the French call "la connaissance".

The motto of the Order of Teutonic Knights (1198-1410) simplifies matters, albeit abruptly:

Si tu ne meures pas avant de mourir, tu mourras en mourant.
If you do not die before dying, you will die when you die.

So: the Maison is the house or place where consciousness resides, and Dieu refers to the higher worlds of the spirit of light (nothing to do with deities).

It seems the titles for the TdM images probably appeared in the early 16th century, after the tarot came back from northern Italy in the soldiers' pockets and was taken up by the card-makers issued from Compagnonage. This brings us to Ross Cauldwell's suggestion that an ambitious soul investigate how Hotel Dieu, Maison Dieu etc.were applied at that time (c. 1520). Diana has been able to substantiate her recollections, and I am dazzled by the linguistic erudition expressed through the diverse messages. So finally I am at a loss for words.

Here is an extract from The Journey of the Soul, the first half of which is accessible http://english.letarot.com/pages/25journey.html

XVI The House of God
(perhaps we should find a better translation of this title – but The Tower won't do either)
Until the day the being experiences the fundamental unifying experience. After the diligent purification of centre after centre, energy all at once surges up and out the fontanel, at the top of the skull. The entire body suddenly catches fire. Consciousness, entirely enflamed, soars to unimaginable heights, to spheres suggested by the multicoloured balls that fill the sky. The multitude of past experiences and memories suddenly rearrange themselves into an orderly, meaningful constellation. It is a dazzling experience of fusion with the divine, appropriately named the House of God.
Unfortunately, this state does not last and will recur only at the moment of death... It is necessary to return to earth, back from this place in which the being is truly part of the universe. Look at the two figures: they come tumbling slowly back from their unifying experience.
The flame which bursts from the top of the tower indicates that only a total conflagration can allow the being to experience such moments. His is unable to generate them on his own. Only the forces of life will permit the awakening.
This experience confers in general two gifts: the disappearance of the fear of death, and a total confidence in the unconscious. One no longer doubts.
Since arcanum VI, the Lover, in which the cherub lets fly his arrow, the sky of the arcana has been empty. From now on, it will be inhabited.

Jean-Claude Flornoy

Postscript by Rox:
Footnote lovers, unite! Let the race of Pedants grow and multiply! Perhaps we can agree that a pedant is bearable only if he makes no bones about it. He thus transforms an intolerable vice into an entertaining and instructive virtue. The Spirit of Candid Pedantry can be imagined as a charming figure, draped gracefully in a mantle of savant verbiage, fringed (of course) with footnotes, inhabiting the soul of all eternal students and lovers of showing off. The duty of the true (self-proclaimed) Pedant is to amuse and instruct us forever!

We've noted that many were looking to find the Bibliotheque Nationale 1984 exposition catalogue: Tarot, jeu et Magie. After 10 years, the Library was preparing to discard the 2000 unsold copies remaining. At the last minute this stock was bought by the Card Museum at Issy–les-Moulineaux near Paris. It took them 6 years of administrative red tape before the books were put on sale, and within two years they were all sold off. This remarkable volume remains definitively out of print. The last two copies were bought for 12€ each by our friend Laurent Edouard, founder and moderator of the French list Club Jean Noblet http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/Club_Jean_NOBLET/. IF you can run across it today, it is likely to cost between 45 and 60 euros.

Namadev

Hi Roxan,

Excellent article.

Nevertheless, I cannot subscribe entirely to the affirmation relative to the Cary Sheet.
It is normal that the remaining trumps show no legend and aren't nammed because this tradition of naming the trumps apprears only with the "French connection" . The main remaining decks are : the Tarot Parisien anonyme (circa 1625) with names and numbers followed by the atypîcal Viéville and the Noblet (circa 1650) "the" traditionnal" TdM, then the Chausson (1672) [(first known traditonnal TdM realized by a Marseilles card maker] as well as the Payen [(also realized by a Marseilles nativ)1713] and the Dodal (1701-1715]
[Notion of fantaisy deck would apply better to the suits of the (Catelin Goefroy:1557).]
Yet, the Cary Sheet is the "missing link" .
See the study of Theirry Depaulis in Tarot, jeu et magie".
BTW, the Maison-Feu ou Dieu is present on the left of the Cary Sheet 4th row (bottom)

Stricto sensu, the ORIGIN of the Cary Sheet is UNKNOWN.
This means, if you accept the Cary sheet as the missing link, that the origin of the TdM is unknown.

Alain Bougearel

jmd

What wonderful contributions...

On another small note with regards to the title, even if the 'correct' appelation 'should' be 'La Maison de Dieu', a woodcarver is likely to drop the 'de' in order to save space without altering its obvious meaning - even more especially if this, even as archaic form, seems remotely warranted.

With regards to the Cary Sheet, it would be certainly be worth having (many) further contributions in the thread The Marseilles birth and influences.

kwaw

An interesting woodcut in relation to the tower and pilgrims from Gottselige Begierde by herman hugo, Augsburg, 1622 is reproduced on page 699 of The Hermetic Museum - Alchemy and Mysticism, published by Taschen which shows a pilgrim at a centre of a maze holding a rope the other end of which is held by an angel at the top of a tower on a rocky hill beyond the maze. On the top of the tower on the right is a flaming torch. A couple of pilgrims have fallen off the maze. Another pigrim has fallen off the path just before the door of the tower. On the right another pilgrim, who too has presumably fallen, is trying to climb up the rocky outcrop. There is another Pilgrim walking along the path of the maze with a walking staff and a dog on a lead.

The text reads:
"O that my paths may be guided to keep Thy laws
In the tangled maze with all its twists and turns
I walk and will without fear await the help promised by Thy word.
From far away I see that here and there some will fall
Who are otherwise cautious and probably the boldest:
I go blindly onwards and my arts are all in my devotion to Thee my friend!
This life is a maze; That the journer may be safe
Thou must without guile await in blind faith for God
In pure love without artifice."

Here is a (very rough) tracing:

Attachments

• pilgrimtower1.jpg
    pilgrimtower1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 146

Huck

sagitta

The oldest information, which we might have about the card at the tower position, says "sagitta", an "arrow". At the list of the unknown preacher, estimated ca. 1480 - 1500.

Looking at all the iconographical pictures which are known from the Mantegna-Tarot, there are not much pictures, which include an arrow. But one has and it is fitting: Jupiter has arrows in his hand.
And - when we know about the mythology of Jupiter, then we know that these arrows on the Jupiter pictures symbolize lightnings, not arrows. Jupiter is not a bow-shooter - like Apollo, for instance.

The lightnings reappear at the tower-cards.

Well, in second half of 15th century in Italy it is said that it was common to speak of God with the name of Jupiter - at least in the better circles.

The "House of God" so could be called also "house of Jupiter, the distance is not far.

Devil and Tower are missing in the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-Tarocchi. The suspicion is there, that both cards were the last added cards i the later standard tarot decks. As this there is the hint, that they are a "logical pair". What is the counterpart of Devil? God. Or Jupiter - if one feels free enough to use this name.

The Tower-card has a number, that is 2 numbers: 15 or 16, as the numerology is not stable in Italy. The name appears in French, so it is likely, that it is number 16, which is relevant. See Marseille-Tarot.

What associates number 16? Geomancy for instance. But also the ..... Jupiter square. Do you know Duerers "Melancholy"? There is a Jupiter-square. 4x4.

Do you know the Saturn-square. 3x3. That's 9.

9 Hermit, associated to Chronos, Father Time.

No ... I don't think of guest houses for pilgrims.