Mary El Tarot - Two of Cups

Bat Chicken

http://www.mary-el.com/cups1.html

The water in this card is steam behind the heat created by the union of the red unicorn King and white unicorn Queen. Rather than a typical or traditional relationship card, I think this refers more to the internal – the union of opposites within each of us....

In the Qabalistic Tarot, numbered cards represent the 10 sephiroth. The two being the King/Father – Chokmah . The unicorn seems an odd choice because it is generally associated with “4”. Chokmah is intellect and the unicorn is the wild Spirit – passion? It would seem their combination is a balanced relationship between the those internal forces.

Thoughts?

Debra

Why unicorns? As opposed to, say, horses?
A traditional meaning of the card (RWS) would be true and lasting friendship, love, companionship.

This site http://www.occultopedia.com/u/unicorn.htm claims that medieval imagery identified the unicorn with Christ, its horn with "the unity of Father and Son" and the virgin Mary is the virgin who entices the unicorn to its death (crucifixion). Today it's the happy magic creature who luvs rainbows.

Bat Chicken

Why unicorns? As opposed to, say, horses?
A traditional meaning of the card (RWS) would be true and lasting friendship, love, companionship.

This site http://www.occultopedia.com/u/unicorn.htm claims that medieval imagery identified the unicorn with Christ, its horn with "the unity of Father and Son" and the virgin Mary is the virgin who entices the unicorn to its death (crucifixion). Today it's the happy magic creature who luvs rainbows.

LOL! You're too funny Milfoil! :)
Yes, I found it to be a bit confusing considering the occult meaning. The colours suggested an alchemical element, but looking at them as two versions of themselves is interesting...

Did you every see the very early Tom Cruise movie "Legend"? There were two unicorns in it as well and the princess murders one (the male) putting the world in permanent twilight. The princess is wooed by the magnificently played "Darkness" (I love Tim Curry) and they set off to kill the last one - the female. It is very Isis and Osiris. Wonder if that might me the ticket?

Debra

Milfoil IS funny LOL
My doctor advised against unicorn movies--it's the only advice I've followed...

Debra

On a serious note, leaving aside the horn and the colors. I was driving on a twisted single-lane country road, this was on the south island of New Zealand, and I took a corner too fast, barely missing the fence of a paddock--and right alongside the fence a stallion was reared up in full glory to mate. I was basically coming up under him and there he was in all his hugeness. He twisted hard to one side as I turned the wheel hard in the other direction. We all scared the bejeezus out of each other. I can still see his wild eye. Now that gave me a sense of the power of horses.

missy

Two of Cups

Paired. Twins. Opposites attract. Swimming in the ocean of life together. Trying to forge ahead. Magical union. Sparks flying.