OshoZen 7 of Water (Cups)

Briar Rose

OshoZen 7 of Water (cups)
Projections

A card showing a man and a woman looking at each other with a blur of the other person in front of them.

How many times are you erked by another person only to realise that what you don't like about them is what you don't like about yourelf?

Or;

If we're in a bad mood, the world just projects back to us our bad mood and we get more of what we don't like.

squeakmo9

This card is freaky for me, on the same level as the 7 of Clouds ~Politics~.
I remember getting it once when I was in a relationship, and it just freaking me out. I immediately felt that something was going on that I was not completely aware of. The feeling was one of being disoriented, dizzy even, like the walls were closing in, I mean in regards to this card.
Looking at this man and woman, I get the sense that a piece of the puzzle is missing, that the one doing the projecting hasn't become aware enough, is still living in a fog. It's always a case of well "it's all your fault, your not doing this, or your not doing that, why can't you be more..." blah, blah, blah. I'm guilty of not addressing (interpersonal) issues first within myself thinking its all the other guys fault.

Grizabella

In addition to the usual idea of projection where one person is projecting their own faults and shortcomings onto the other, it also brings to mind another form of projection. The projection of what you think the other person wants you to be. You try to become what you think they want you to be in order to "catch" them in the beginning and then you keep trying to be something else they want you to be to avoid their criticisms. That's the way I lived most of my life.

What I love about this deck is that it deals so closely with all the things that are so sick and binding about the way most of us live our lives. Maybe we don't all have the problems this deck addresses, but I'll bet a whole lot of us live a lot of them. The deck immediately seems to give freedom from these things if we understand it and take it to heart.

Briar Rose

[QUOTE The deck immediately seems to give freedom from these things if we understand it and take it to heart.[/QUOTE]

I love what you wrote, Lyric.

Alan Ross

Lyric said:
it also brings to mind another form of projection. The projection of what you think the other person wants you to be. You try to become what you think they want you to be in order to "catch" them in the beginning and then you keep trying to be something else they want you to be to avoid their criticisms.

Between projecting our own expectations, desires, and judgments on another person and that person projecting an image of themselves that they think you want to see, it's a miracle that we ever get to really know each other at all. Like looking at a person wearing a mask through glasses with distorted lenses.

Seeing the real person behind the mask requires paying careful attention to what they say and how they conduct themselves when they aren't trying to maintain their mask. But to do this, it is necessary to see accurately. As the LWB states, we cannot see accurately when we are excited. Or caught up in preconceptions and judgments. We see accurately only when we can see through the lens of a calm, centered, non-judgmental mind.

Judith D

I think everything we experience is a projection of some kind or other - both from our point of view and from that which we 'see'. Whatever we perceive is coloured by our own viewpoint, our own culture, our own upbringing, and whatever we observe is not the same as that which someone else observes - to be the same, it would have to be observed from the same place at the same time - i.e. the same person would be observing. In this card, which is the true face of the other? Is there such a thing as a true face, because we change so much from one moment to another. To see anything vaguely approximating 'truth' we do indeed need to be calm, accepting, non-judgmental.
From the book: '..... there are as many worlds as there are minds, because every mind lives in his own world.' How absolutely true this is.

firecatpickles

This is the most esoteric card I have run across in this deck yet. I am not sure I quite understand it. After reading your posts, I am beginning to wrap my mind around it.

Basically, all of you & the book seem to be talking about basic psychology, looking-glass syndrome, projection, perception, cognition.

If I look at the idiom involved in our comparison to others; losing one in another; finding our way together; our life together; falling in love; most of them are positive. It is only recently when the term "you're projecting" has come onto the scene with its negative connotations.

It has been mentioned before, but it is extremely difficult to take these cards out of the context of a reading. I suppose this card will be very useful when it appears next to court cards.

Master_Margarita

This is the card that was nicknamed the "fairy favors" card in the RWS deck. We see what we think is our heart's desire, but is it really there?

As I've posted elsewhere, I like to read the 6,7 and 8 of Water together: the dream, projections, and letting go. If we're lucky, the cycle does not repeat again.

This card is a brilliant example of what tarot updated for our times, yet remaining universal, can be.