Intuitive messages

Teheuti

I've noticed several people referring to getting intuitive messages from the cards. What is meant by messages? Where/who do they come from? And what is meant by the messages being intuitive? How is this different from psychic messages? Or channeled ones? I'm just trying to understand.

nisaba

I don't know whether I'm one of the people who has said that or not - it's quite possible. If I was, then here's my take on it.

I get messages from cards based on:

1) traditional meanings associated with the card,

2) from the appearance of the card on that particular moment, and suddenly focussing on details or colours that I don't necessarily notice a lot normally,

3) and what I refer to as intuition. This can take two forms. Either I just listen to the stuff coming out of my mouth, hearing it for the first time at the same time the client does, or for no reason that I can account for given the cards in the spread in front of me, I start having thoughts that want to be talked about.

I tend to refer to both of those things as intuitive messages, although the first and the second aren't, they're more standard reading technique.

danieljuk

it does mean different things to different people. but I think it's anyway of reading the cards which is not using learnt or book meanings. if you look at a card and suddenly the background colour seems very important or the most tiny symbol in the picture, that is an intuitive message as you read it. I have found it's really opening my tarot reading in a more accurate and bigger way. It's also much more personalised for the sitter.

The other way I get them is a audible message when looking at the card. I *think* it's my intuition in my head but as I look at the card I will get a quick message, name or phrase. This is random for me though. Looking at a card at the images is more reliable.

where does it come from? I don't know! Maybe it's my imagination or from a spirit or it's psychic or from the person's energy field. I honestly don't know, I am new to this area

I think you can get intuitive messages by all the senses when you look at a card. Maybe you could smell something or feel it or see it! but just go with it, you might be surprised :)

firemaiden

I've noticed several people referring to getting intuitive messages from the cards. What is meant by messages? Where/who do they come from? And what is meant by the messages being intuitive? How is this different from psychic messages? Or channeled ones? I'm just trying to understand.

I would say "intuitive messages" and "psychic messages" are different ways of saying the same thing : these are ideas that occur to the reader when contemplating the cards. Whether we say these ideas are "sent" from some ghostly "messenger", or "channeled" or arise through a "psychic flash", the result of "intuition", the result of logical analyses and deductions or simply and purely made-up on the spot -- would depend on what we actually believe in, no ? Where do we believe our thoughts and ideas come from ?

Mycroft

Although the term 'Tarot Medium' seems to have fallen out of usage these days it was fairly common at one time. Here's an advert from the 1940s where 'Sybil Howarth' is describing herself as a 'Clairvoyante and Tarot Medium'.

Most of these readers seemed to do a normal type of spread and say that messages were coming from their guides to help interpret the reading.

Marlo

About the tarot (and i insist, i only make this difference for the tarot), I would be tempted to say that intuitive messages are from the instinct, which is an inner capacity, and psychic messages are from the spirit world, so, from outside.

Thus, on the one side, you have people who use tarot to raise the answers they already know but aren't conscious of them ; on the other side you have people who use tarot by channeling answers from spirits (at least, that what they think they do, i've never tried it myself as i only rely on my instinct).

In between, there are probably more "methods".

momentarylight

About the tarot (and i insist, i only make this difference for the tarot), I would be tempted to say that intuitive messages are from the instinct, which is an inner capacity, and psychic messages are from the spirit world, so, from outside.

Thus, on the one side, you have people who use tarot to raise the answers they already know but aren't conscious of them ; on the other side you have people who use tarot by channeling answers from spirits (at least, that what they think they do, i've never tried it myself as i only rely on my instinct).

In between, there are probably more "methods".

Psychic messages may not be from the the spirit world. Many of us have psychic gifts and can pick up things through those gifts but they often have nothing to do with direct communication from the spirit world. They are, however, from the 'outside' as you suggest. People and events project energies which we can sometimes pick up on.

Sometimes people believe that psychic messages are from the spirit world without any real evidence and it is easy to delude oneself and others in this way. Have seen that happen.

At least, that is my experience and belief.

Chiska

I call myself an intuitive reader, and prefer the following interpretation of "intuition:"

Intuition is a process that gives us the ability to know something directly without analytic reasoning, bridging the gap between the conscious and nonconscious parts of our mind, and also between instinct and reason.

source: Psychology Today

In my experience, I make connections based on the following:

1. my personal observation and experiences (a lifetime of experience, reading, etc.)
2. the situation of the sitter
3. cues from the cards (images, esoteric meanings, colors, etc.), aka "triggers"

I don't attach anything supernatural or spiritual to it, but rather see it as a function of psychology. Rather hard to put into a concise and intelligent description!

Marlo

I agree with you Momentarylight. That's why i said, i make this difference only for tarot reading, because some people often think the answers come from outside.

momentarylight

I would say "intuitive messages" and "psychic messages" are different ways of saying the same thing : these are ideas that occur to the reader when contemplating the cards. Whether we say these ideas are "sent" from some ghostly "messenger", or "channeled" or arise through a "psychic flash", the result of "intuition", the result of logical analyses and deductions or simply and purely made-up on the spot -- would depend on what we actually believe in, no ? Where do we believe our thoughts and ideas come from ?

This is a great observation, except that I believe 'psychic' and 'intuitive' understanding are different.

How we understand and define these things does indeed depend on personal belief.