Destructive Tarot Habits

bluelagune

People just dont know how to phrase questions so they keep on asking the same ones, expecting the reader to also read their mind :)

ravenest

Great video, mind = blown :) Can you please tell me what these bits in the quotes mean though? I'm missing something in what I'm sure is a profound, insightful message...

giving crazy readings to people because they want them - you might start believing you have some sort of ability, when all you are really doing is pandering to half hypnotised idiots ... the teacher eventually becomes an idiot that allows such stupid behaviour ... just like in the 'Chi' video link I posted.

Thats what I meant. The Osho stuff should be self evident.

Farzon

At first I have to say I read for myself most if the times. And I also experienced addiction to certain questions... Some things in life are just so important to us and they trends to get too important. Then you ask again and again and keep looking for the answer you hope for (our the answer you fear, which, in my case, was the same thing).

I don't do that anymore. As you stated, Pluto, Tarot ifs a great tool for self development and it shouldn't be limited to a mere reinsurance that everything is alright. One has to let go of the hope for security in life, because this wish will never be granted - Pantha Rei.... Everything is in a constant state of flux.

Having said that, every now and then love, work, the family etc. will play an unusually important role in our lives. It's poetry much ok to ask the tarot then, but not if it becomes an obsession.

Kristyjnh

I only recently started reading for others online, so I haven't experienced repeat questions, but I have encountered people asking for readings who clearly needed something more than a Tarot reader can provide. Like, who really needed to talk to a professional and not me, which puts me into the position of making myself the bad guy and telling them as much, hoping they'll pursue help, or making myself the next best thing and being a temporary lifeline. I don't want to be the last straw that drive somebody over the edge, but I also don't want to be the reason they don't seek help, you know?

starburst_au

Seeing as I am a self confessed serial question asker lol... I think with all the readings that I have received on a specific person, actually has given me personal insight into my own situation.

Do I think it's healthy that I choose to ask similar questions about specific relationships in my life, no I don't. I acknowledge that. However, the process involved, and people who do read for me on the forum, have shed light on the relationship and have sparked self reflection.

In my opinion, some people find it very easy to let go of people in their life when they immediately acknowledge toxic relationships. Others, find it quite hard to let go. And for the people who do find it hard to let go for whatever reason, need to engage in their own process of letting go. And that process is very different for each person.

Not to criticise your post, because I do think it's a very valid topic to raise on the forum, however readers have the choice to say no, I don't think answering anymore questions about "x" is going to be beneficial for you.

I'm quite thankful for all the readings that i've had from various people on the forum to spark that self reflection, self development, to acknowledge self love and worth in my life and i'm slowly coming to the conclusion that some relationships in my life are toxic.

Thats not to say, I wont still ask questions :p

Cheers,
Sb

Farzon

I think reading for yourself works better with serial questions. Having readings done on one topic over and over again can show, how obsessed one is with a topic, maybe to a degree one hasn't even been aware of.

But of you read for yourself, with the time you will recognize what you're looking for. In the act of reading one can get an insight to ones own personality, when wer think about the "why"we are interpreting the cards this way.

bluelyric7

I'm actually totally guilty of this behavior and I'm realizing how much it's totally wearing on me. And always cognizant of it WHILE I'm doing it. I have totally been destructive about it for awhile. Luckily my cards always lean towards giving people advice rather than tangibles, because I do believe in free will and how different energy can shape a situation differently.

Either way, I needed to read this. Immensely helpful. My subscription actually runs out in October and I'm not going to renew it because of the access. So thank you. I appreciate that you took the time to do this. And I think that you should post it in every thread lol.

All the best to you...

Water Lady

Good subject. I agree with it. Tarot for me is a way to keep my intuition awake and active, I am sure there are other ways but this works for me.
I also agree with the asking of questions that if you just sat and thought about it for a min. you would know the answer. will he call me, I want to set the cards aside and say, I don't know but sitting around waiting for the phone to ring is not a good thing for you to be doing. go make yourself more interesting to be around. then if he does not call someone else will.
but, I also fall into the trap, having my condo for sale for 6 months is draining. nothing I can do, it is new and I compete against newer ones being built. so I wait for the buyer that need to get in now and can not wait. they will come, but I have lost patience and prices go up at the other end as I wait.
such is life. and I will not be asking again while I wait.

danieljuk

it's because those people don't have faith or confidence in Tarot, if they did they would ask a question that is very important to them and then take that answer. But on some issues and especially love topics, people ask over and over again, they want the answer they want to hear!

But the tarot told them the first time, it's just not what they wanted to hear or they won't trust that first reading!

A lot of the people who ask the questions over and over are quite desperate emotionally, they are often questions about if an ex still loves them or will come back or will they ever marry? But ultimately it will make them more confused!

I don't think the reassurance is a problem, it's why a lot of people have a religion or maybe use divination. The problem is when we get addicted to tarot and lose our free will and trust in life! It's a tool to help us but we still have to live our lives. I don't think it's healthy to ask the same thing over and over but I understand why people need reassurance. If it helps them at that time of their lives and they move on from it, I can't criticise :)

pluto'sapprentice258

There are some things that trouble me too. I’m a strong believer in the idea that you can usually change the outcomes of readings and that your choices matter in whether they come true or not.

Your chances of finding love in 2015 can be really high, but you probably also need to do things like going out and mingling with people with similar interests and being emotionally available. Even if you find love, it doesn’t mean you’ll keep it if you can’t address potential obstacles, and it doesn’t mean it’ll be a healthy relationship if you or the other person interact in a way that’s very damaging.

Sometimes people do have a stroke of luck when they unexpectedly fall in love with the Right Person or are offered their dream job when they least expect it. However, that’s not really the norm, just like people who find winning lottery tickets in the ground are not the norm, and if you want to have a chance to win the lottery you should buy a ticket.

I know that sometimes it’s so easy to look at a very happy person and assume that they were just lucky and that it all fell in their laps. If you think rationally, though, it’s much more likely that they’ve invested a lot of work and time into building their relationships.

Another thing that bothers me is when people do readings that are extremely biased and ask “is this person I saw once The One?”. What kind of answer can they expect to get from that that won’t make them feel worse? How are we supposed to interpret that when we don’t know if being honest is going to hurt them more?

I also feel worried when people read about the feelings of another person for them, or about the relationship that someone else has with another person. That’s very intrusive, and quite frankly, it’s not going to do you any good to know. If you find out that the other person likes you back, what does it matter if you don’t go ahead and make a move? If you find out they’re happy with the relationship they have, what can you do? Wouldn’t it be better to ask what you can do to move on from them or something? If you don’t expect to find love soon, won’t you be at least a little bit happier if until that happens you can also be happy with yourself and make the most of that time?

It’s fine to need reassurance and to want updates. I think that’s a normal human thing. However, it’s also wise to know your limits and to know where to seek out help. The Tarot is not a magical “good luck” ticket that will make you dreams come true just because you’ve pulled a good card and it’s not a replacement for a therapist.

In short, I agree what you’ve said here. Sometimes I see people post here and I worry about them, and wish I could advise them to stop asking the same questions and instead address why they’re asking those questions over and over, or to turn to a person they can talk to instead of a deck of cards (as much as I love the Tarot, it's not a replacement for your best friend, a lawyer, or a doctor).

Chimera, you raise some excellent points. I agree that mingling, meeting people, letting friends set you up are all pro-active steps towards improving one's love life, though I don't think many of these love seekers are doing much seeking at all. I also agree that the outcome of a reading can be avoided, if you know well enough in advance what it'll be and how to avoid it. Accepting 'fate' has never sat well with me. I feel we're masters of our own destiny, and some things can be changed.

As you say, happy, successful people have to work hard to get to where they are. Sure, amazing luck does happen, but we should assume some work needs to go in first before a lucky break can happen. When situations pick up momentum, often opportunities arise from that, but again, some power needs to be invested in the endeavour first to get anything positive from it.

I worry about people, too. I see these obsessive readings as nothing more than a source of torture, disguised as a source of comfort and reassurance, but as I said in my original post - I think most of the regular sitters already know deep down what the cards will say. I've also resolved not to offer readings anymore, because I don't want to be a part of the indulgence, I don't want to be responsible for feeding anyone's delusions, either. I took part in an exchange and was asked if a 3rd party loved the sitter. It made me uncomfortable, so I re-worded the question in my mind and did the reading. We all learn and agree on card meanings. I wonder if the Tarot authors of yesteryear knew this would happen to the community if there was a resurgence, and I wonder if they would have included more detailed chapters and impressed upon readers and teachers the importance of a well worded, balanced question.

I love Tarot too, yet I worry about these people, and I worry that using Tarot irresponsibly causes more damage than good. I would define 'irresponsible use' as repeat questions, 3rd party invasions, and idealistic/deluded interpretations that only fit in with the sitter/reader's projected outcome.

Tarot is a friend, but it shouldn't replace people where people would be more beneficial. :)