10 Books that covers different aspects of Tarot

Mewwix

Hi,

There're a lot of books on similar topics by different authors.
I'm a student, and I'm on a limited budget.
Hence I'm wondering if anyone could recommend me a combination of 10 books that covers the different aspects of reading Tarot?

Would want to work towards being a professional Tarot Reader.

RWS preferred. :)

Thanks. >.<

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Mewwix!

If you wish to ask for recommendations on Tarot of Vampyres vs Illuminati Tarot, you would need to start a separate thread for that over in the Tarot Decks forum. If you wish to have a general discussion about tarot's ability to dispense advice, you would need to start a thread for that over in the Talking Tarot forum. As this is the Tarot Books & Media forum, discussions should stay on the topics of books and media.

rwcarter, Moderator of Tarot Books & Media

Chrystella

I don't read professionally so I can't recommend any books on that topic.

1. A Complete Guide to the Tarot by Eden Grey - It's a classic.
  2. The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by A.E. Waite
  3. Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners by Joan Bunning
  4. Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation by Mary K. Greer
  5. Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card
  6. Understanding the Tarot Court by Mary K. Greer with Tom Little
  7. The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer
  8. Rachel Pollack’s Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings
  9. Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot by Rachel Pollack
  10. A history book or two such as A History of the Occult Tarot by Ronald Decker and Michael Dummett or Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson

I look forward to seeing what others recommend.

jolie_amethyst

If you want book recommendations, it's probably best to state what level of Tarot knowledge you already have. What might be a good book for a beginner with a brand new first deck isn't necessarily going to be useful to a seasoned reader.

I'll also note something that's been said a number of times here: if you're limited on funds for your Tarot education, the best place of all to read up on the subject is here on this forum. Utilize the search function on these boards for any questions you might have, and you'll be led to many years' worth collected knowledge. I've picked up a number of books, but when I come across a card that doesn't seem to fit in a given position or reading, the first thing I do is search the forum. Invariably, reading so many other thoughts and interpretations helps me reach my own understanding, rather than simply absorbing that of a single author.

Owl Song

There are so many Tarot books out there. These are my favorites:

1. Tarot 101 - Kim Huggens (Interactive study guide / workbook / reference)
2. Learning the Tarot - Joan Bunning (Reference / beautifully organized / clear and logical)
3. A Magical Course in Tarot - Michele Morgan (Intuitive reading)
4. Tarot for Life - Paul Quinn (Reference / real life application of each card)
5. 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card - Mary K. Greer (Self-study / journaling / techniques for exploring the Tarot on a deep personal level)
6. The New Tarot Handbook - Rachel Pollack (Reference / very compact)
7. 365 Tarot Spreads - Sasha Graham (Fun / great for practice)
8. Mystical Origins of the Tarot - Paul Huson (Tarot history / scholarly)
9. Tarot and Astrology - Corrine Kenner (Adding the layer of astrology to your interpretations)
10. Holistic Tarot - Benebell Wen (A gigantic compendium of everything Tarot / A massive 850 pages!)

Mewwix

Thank you. :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. :)

I used to read Tarot casually for about 3 years without any books other than the LWB that came with the deck.
Now i would like to start studying more about Tarot from actual books, both the Predictive side and the Psychological side of Tarot.
(Well, more of the Predictive side.)

I prefer books as to keep referring to the site.

garmonbozia

A History of the Occult Tarot by Ronald Decker and Michael Dummett

This, together with A Wicked Pack of Cards are probably the two best books about tarot history I could recommend. I recommend reading A Wicked Pack of Cards first though. Both books were out of print for a while but both are now, thankfully, back in print.

For learning how to start reading the RWS...there is no good single book at the beginner level IMO. I think the best one that will really teach you in a way that is practical and easy to remember is Dusty White's book (Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot Ever). You just have to overlook the awful title. If you like that book, then definitely read Advanced Tarot Secrets as well.

staticfuzz

For the psychological side, I definitely definitely recommend 78 Degrees of Wisdom, it's probably my favorite tarot book ever (not that I've read a ton but I do have a fair few). Also Holistic Tarot by Benebell Wen; I just got it but it's shaping up wonderfully so far.

Also I think Dusty White's book The Easiest Way to Learn Tarot--Ever is pretty great too; and there's a pretty extensive preview on Google Books to see what it's about before committing to it.

I'll also third 21 Ways to Read a card. :)

Mewwix

=)

Thanks for the recommendations so far. :)

jema

Christine Jette wrote a book just for those who are looking to make it as a pro-reader.
It came out in 2004 so might be a little dated when it comes to laws and taxes etc, but it is also filled with a lot of hands-on advice.

Professional Tarot: The business of reading, consulting and teaching.
ISBN: 073870217x

I'll get back with a list of other essentials later.