Sabian Symbols;The Five-Pointed Star

Lynda

As we've seen with the Harmonic Convergence and the Harmonic Concordance - the five-pointed star is an interesting configuration.

There's been a fair amount of talk about the quintiles being a spiritual aspect. A quintile occurs when one planet is 72 degrees away from another planet.

A fabulous technique, and one requiring absolutely no knowledge of astrology, is taking a theme for a movie, book, poem, script, any creative work, also - it could be a point in your chart - and take a degree as a starting point and illustrate and measure out the story through the Sabian Symbols.

To explain: Years ago, an online friend of mine from North Carolina, Starling David Hunter III, told me how one could pick a Sabian Symbol (at random, or because of some transiting degree, or whatever) that describes a movie, story plot or book and read off the 5 pointed star (72 degrees apart) in Sabian Symbols

He showed me the example by way of the movie Dead Poet’s Society. He chose the degree of Cancer 23 as holding meaning for the theme of the movie. Cancer 23 reads: The Meeting of a Study Group or Literary Society – which seems entirely appropriate. I imagine many are familiar with the movie.

The opening quintile (counting 72 degrees from Cancer 23) falls on Libra 5: A Man Teaching the True Inner Knowledge of the New World to His Students. This is entirely apt, and how amazing that the degree of ‘The Study Group’ is quintile *always* to the Man Teaching the True Inner Knowledge!

That’s entirely wonderful… the next quintile lands on Sag 17: An Easter Sunrise Service Draws a Large Crowd…. The suicide of the young man and the funeral in tne big hall at the school – all the young men brought together in grief and the renewal of their faith in life.

Then, Aquarius 29: A Butterfly Emerging From a Chrysalis – the emergence of the young and fresh faced young men... the finding of talent and beauty in themselves. They spread their wings and grew into their own sense of being.

Further, Taurus 11: A Woman Sprinkling Long Rows of Flowers – the need for “watering, fertilizing and caring” for those in the process of growth (the teacher nourishing the students).

These Symbols are enormously revealing to the theme of the movie, which raises some interesting questions.

Also, Starling found that movies with a violent or rather non-creative base (such as an 'Arnie' movie, for example) responded much better to the 90 degree aspect (the stress and tension aspects), which is very intruiging, as well.

I’ve used the above example in my lectures for years… it’s truly extraordinary.

Using the the 1931 version of the Symbols that Marc Edmund Jones did (MEJ rewrote the Symbols, making them longer). Taking the above degrees, we get the Symbols:

Cancer 23: A Serious Little Study Group, a Literary Club, Has Met For Social and Intellectual Fellowship in Some Member’s Home… ah, the cave!

Libra 5: A Teacher of the Occult Betrays His Possession of the Real Knowledge by the Inspiration of His Gathered Students – amazingly obvious!

Sag 17: An Eastern Sunrise Service is About to Begin at the Suggestion of Dawn; Darkness Surrenders to the Worshipers – wonderful poetry!

Aquarius 29: The Beautifully Winged Insect Has Just Come Forth Into Glorious Adult Being on Completion of its Metamorphosis – the boys growing into men.

Taurus 11: A Woman, Cool in Sunbonnet and Simple Garments, is Leisurely Watering Long Rows of Flowers in Full Bloom... the 'bloom' of youth, creativity and knowledge.

Obviously, we can do this for any degree of the zodiac to illustrate many things. One could look at your natal Sun, the current transit of Pluto, an oracle you pulled today, whatever, to illustrate the 5 points of illumination that are that degree.

A great thing would be to pick a favourite movie, or a story... whatever, and chose a Symbol from the list on this board and count 72 degrees around. You'll end up with 5 Symbols that describe the situation. This works with everything - everytime, as these Symbols are always holding the charge of each other. There is a beauty in the structure of the Symbols that is truly amazing.

Anybody got any suggestions for one? It doesn't have to be a movie, it can be any creative endeavour, it could be your Sun degree, whatever.

Greetings from DownUnder
Lynda

Elven

Hi Lynda,
This sounds as if it is an amzing technique. I am going to look through the Symbol headings today and choose one for Lord of the Rings, (One for each book) and post back with the correlations.

Blessings
Elven x

Pipistrelle

Wow - this sounds fantastic :) I wanna try!

*scuttles away to find book*

Pip

Pipistrelle

Hi Lynda,

Just one question...:)

Do you use any particular meanings for each of the five "points"?

I can see how - from your example - they can be tied in with different aspects of a story and with that story already in mind, it's not too difficult to find connections with the symbols.

But, if I were to use this method with my natal Sun as you suggest, would each point refer to a specific aspect of my personality? Or do I just try and work out what they're referring to? :) As there is no "story" to relate to (except what I already know about myself and that doesn't offer much opportunity for revealing the unknown) I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with them after I've looked them up!

I will admit that I haven't yet tried to find any meaning in them - I've just simply looked them up and written down what they are to study at leisure. So it may be that this question becomes redundant if they turn out to be self-explanatory. But why go to the trouble of working something out yourself when you can just ask someone else, right? ;)

Pip

Elven

OMG I opened a can of worms with the Lord of the Rings! After finding in Aries alone - 14 corresponding Symbols - and another 14 in Taurus, well it could be a very long thread! :) (LOL)
It was very interesting though to find that many correlations - this makes me believe strongly that the LOTR could be very well adapted to an Oracle such as the Symbols. I noticed that there was actually a Symbol for every degree found in Tolkiens writings - and that was just off the top of my head. It would have to be expanded to include some others of Tolkiens works - but even then when I was having trouble with the Christmas themes - such as Taurus degree 9 - A Christmas tree is decorated and shines in the darkness. then I remembered the 'Father Christmas' letters by Tolkien.

Anyway, I was able to narrow it down to a few Symbols and will post this after this post! :)

Lynda,
Like Pip, I also had a question about the 5 placements. Does the 5 pointed star relate to creativity - I think you mentioned this once, but I cant find it.
Another was in relation to the 'Box' layout. (90 degrees of seperation) I have been trying to work a spread around this layout with the Tarot and the Symbols. This I think you said were related and show the 'tensions' in a reading.
Are there other patterns on the astrological wheel which show similar correlations? Say like a 6,7,8,9... ? I am curious as even if these numbers are not divisable by 360 perfectly, the location points would start to form a kaleidescope - like a mandala! An ongoing story of sorts.

Just some thoughts!:)

Blessings
Elven x

Sophie

Hi Lynda - this a wonderful discovery!

I wonder if it might work in the act of creation (or a book, a movie) as well as in analysis of an already created work. As you know I have already been given some writing inspiration by the Sabian Symbols - I am curious to see if extending that reading to the five-point star might help in shaping the inspiration....

[note to self: find chart, calculate degrees]

Elven

Hi all :)
Just thought I'd post my 5 pointed star for Lord of the Rings:

What I have found - I hope some are familiar with the story - is that because there are so many correlations to the book - you can almost pick a topic in the book or a person or location - as Lynda suggested - which works just as well.

So I chose the topic: 'Middle-Earth' and these were the Symbols that were 72 degrees apart.

Point One:
Taurus degree 17: A Symbolic Battle Between 'Swords' the disciples of Might, and 'Torches', the Disciples of Enlightenment.

Point Two:
Cancer degree 29: A Greek Muse Weighing Newborn Twins in Golden Scales

Point Three:
Libra Degree 11: A Professor Peering over his Glasses at His Students.

Point Four:
Sagitarius degree 23: A Group of Immigrants Fulfilling the Requirements for Entering a New Country.

Point 5:
Pisces dgree 5: A Church Bazaar.

****************___________________________******************

Some other Symbols which I found that correlated and described situations well:

Aries 2: A comedian entertaining a group of friends.
Merry and Pippin at the Green Dragon

Aries 9: A seer gazes intently into a crystal ball before him.
Sauruman and the Palantir of Orthanc.

Taurus 13: A porter carrying a mountain of heavy baggage.
Sams pony - Bill.
Frodo and the Ring of Power.

Taurus 15: A man with a silk hat, muffled against the cold, braves a storm.
Gandalf and the snow storm on the pass of Caradhras.

Taurus 20: Wisps of clouds, like wings, are streaming across the sky.
The birds (crebain) flying over Hollin.

Virgo 11: A boy molded in his mothers aspirations for him.
Aragorn.

Virgo 17: A volcanic erruption bringing dust clouds, flowing lava, earth rumblings.
Mount Doom.

Cancer 1: On a ship the sailors lower an old flag and raise a new one.
Aragorn raises Arwens flag as he pulls into port on the Black ships.

Cancer 17: A seed grows into knowledge and life.
The White Tree.

Cancer 25: A leader of men wrapped in an invisable cloak of power.
Aragorn in his Elven cloak.

Cancer 20: Venetian Gondoliers in a serenade.
The Swanship of Celeborn and Galadriel at the companys parting from Lothlorien.

Leo 22: A carrier pigeon fulfilling its mission.
Gandalfs escape from Orthanc by Gwaihir.

Leo 16: Brilliant sunshine after a storm.
Faramir and Eowyn standing on the Walls of City of Gondor.

Leo 27: Daybreak - the luminescence of dawn in the eastern sky.
The day following the downfall of Sauron.

Leo 30:
An unsealed letter has vital and confidential information.
The letter from Gandalf that Butterbur never got to Frodo.

Sagittarius 2: The ocean covered with white caps.
Legolas' poem of the Anduin and the sea.

Sagittarius 7: Cupid knocking on the door of a human heart.
Faramirs proposal to Eowyn.

Sagittarius 11: In the left section of an archaic temple, a lamp burns in a container shaped like a human body.
The pyre of Denethor.

Sagittarius 26: A flag bearer in a battle.
Eomer unfurling the banner on the Pelennor fields.

Sagittarius 28: A splendidly built bridge, a heritage of unknown ages, still spans the beautiful and wildly primitive stream.
The bridge of Mitheithel - Rivendell.

Scorpio 10: A fellowship supper reunites old comrades.
The meeting with Bilbo and the feast in Rivendell.

Scorpio 21: Obeying his conscience, a soldier resists orders.
Pippins treason at the Citadel.

Scorpio 11: A drowning man is being rescued.
Sam trying to follow Frodo and nearly drowning in the river.

Scorpio 12: A brilliant assembly of dignitaries at an official embassy ball.
The gathering for Aragorn and Arwens wedding day.

Gemini 9: A medieval archer stands with the ease of one wholly sure of himself, bow in hand, his quiver filled with arrows.
Legolas.

Gemini 11: Newly opened lands offer the pioneer new opportunities for experience.
The days after the fall of Sauron and the return of the King.

Gemini 14; Two people, at widely different points, are in conversation with each other by means of telepathy.
Sauruman and Sauron making contact through the palantirii.

Gemini 17: The head of a robust youth changes into that of a mature thinker.
Samwise Gamgee.

Gemini 25: A gardener trimming large palm trees.
The gaffer at Bag-End.

Libra 3: The dawn of a new day reveals everything changed.
Sam waking up in the House of Healing after being brought there by the eagles.

Libra 8: A blazing fireplace in a deserted home.
The House of Tom Bombadil.

Libra 10: A canoe is approaching safely through dangerous waters.
The funeral boat of Boromir making it past the falls of Raurus.

Libra 17: A retired sea captain watches ships entering and leaving the harbour.
Cirdan the shipwright.

Capricorn 4:
A group of people entering a canoe for for a journey by water.
The company leaving Lothlorien.

Capricorn 23: A soldier recieving two awards for bravery in combat.
Merry and Pippin being honoured for their services.

Capricorn 27:
A mountain pilgramage.
The treck up mount Doom.

Aquarius 5:A council of ancestors has been called to guide a man.
The Council of Elrond - for both hobbit and Aragorn.

Aquarius 11: During a silent hour, a man recieves new information which may change his life.
Aragorn prior to the paths of Death.

Aquarius 17: A watchdog standing guard, protecting his master and his possessions.
Samwise protecting Frodo and the ring from Gollum.

Aquarius 18: A man being unmasked at a masquerade.
Wormtounge.

Aquarius 19: A forest fire finally quenched.
The flooding of Orthanc by the ents.

Aquarius 21: A woman dissapointed and disillusioned, courageously facing a seemingly empty life.
Eowyn.

Pisces 3: A petrified forest, an eternal record of a life lived long ago.
Fangorn / The old Forest.

Pisces 9:
The race begins: intent on outdistancing his rivals, a jockey spurs his horse to great speed.
Gandalf and Shadowfax - many instances.

Pisces 16: In a quiet moment, a creative individual experiences the flow of inspiration.
Gandalf and Pippin before the seige of Gondor.

Pisces 24: A tiny island seems lost in the broad ocean, but its happy inhabitants have created a great world all their own.
The Elven Haven across the seas.

These are just some that I found which I thought appropriate to illustrate the Symbol heading - there were many more, but I havent written them all down.
I thought it was absolutely fascinating. Enjoy!

Many Blessings
Elven x

Elven

Hi Helvetica :)
I just read your post and I think your right. I think you could draw inspiration from the Symbols and compose from them also.
After doing the LOTR correlations I realised that the manuscript contains the elements of the Symbols expressed in a creative form.
If a point of reference could be used for example: (off the top of my head) Aries 1 - then it would be possible to script a story with a parralel meaning from it - or at least be inspired to draw from the correlations, depending on how many degrees of seperation there were - and say for example if the 5 pointed star meant creativity then the story should express this 'creativity'. Or if the squares (90degrees) meant 'tension', then this also should follow a story illustarting the 'tensions'.

Is this what you meant Sophie? Sorry if Ive got it wrong. Im not very good at explaining myself at the moment. (LOL):)

Just some thoughts. :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Sophie

Yes it is, Elven - and to make things even more interesting we might be able to use both five-pointed star-degrees and square degrees (to add some tension). I'm thinking less of actual subject-matter here than general tone or theme. It would be interesting to do this exercise and compare it with Campbell's classic "hero's journey".

Love all the correlations you've done with Lord of the Rings!!

MCsea

great thread

I MUST use this technique for 'my creation' too.. see where it leads..
as I will use it as a guide.. I hope I get my counting right!

hmm
Aquarius 30 Moon lit fields once babylon are blooming white
Taurus 12 A young couple walk down the street window shopping
Cancer 24 A woman and two men castaway on a small island
Libra 6 A man watches his ideals taking a concrete form befor his inner vision
Saggittarius 18 Tiny children playing in sunbonnets

well there it is...
Ill do the 90 square too
Aquarius 30 Moon lit fields once babylon are blooming white
Taurus 30 A peacock parading it splendor on the terrace of an old castle
Leo 30 An unsealed letter has vital and confidential information
Scorpio 30 Children in Halloween costumes indulging in various pranks

I find the thread the same, the parading and the children.. this is interesting... what it means?? I will find out!

Marina
Off to look up personal sun now..