Sabian Symbols;The Five-Pointed Star

Elven

Rudhyar presents the symbols sequentially, with the zodiac divided into two Hemi-cycles (starting Aries, Libra), four Acts (starting Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn), twenty-four Scenes (one-half sign each), and seventy-two Levels (five degrees each).

In reference to the 5 pointed star - can these combinations start anywhere?

To mark these on a wheel - Two cards would illustrate oppositions (?), 4 cards would be 'tensions',
What would 24 scenes be describing? If the 72 degree seperations would be the 5 pointed star?

Trying to work out a more complex spread for readings.

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

24 by 15

So 24 by 15 is really 15 - half of the symbols in each astrology sign (30 symbols for each astrology sign) as 12 x 30 is the way they present themselves...

So Im thinking you are getting more detail with 'pointers' or clues to answers if you use it as an oracle spread... THIS is where picture cards would be useful ;)

Starting with one Sabian Symbol, then reading each of the following symbols would give you a good insight, but I can get confused sometimes when a symbol actually represents a PLACE or a PERSON, rather than the 'meaning' of the symbol.. hmm Id do something like a bi wheel.. 12 on the inside and 12 on the outside, then look to see how it reads... inside being feelings outside being more like places and people.. I also think the 120 position and the 240 position would then hold a little more importance?

Well I suspect this is one spead Im going to have to actually try out soon!

Marina

MCsea

http://astrologyweekly.com/astrology-articles/sabian-symbols-quintile.php

On the astrology weekly web site there is a simple tool to help calculate the quintiles for all the planets, its not 100% accurate unfortunately, in that my moon was wrong and in a friend of mine her saturn was off by 1 degree.. but it IS useful and a fast tool for the SUN degree..

I just keep finding more and more that I cant explain but that freaks me out about the quintiles!

Marina

Elven

Hi all,
Just putting this in here as I wasnt sure what all the angles were called and their meanings. If this is out can someone direct me to some other good geometry sites for working out the symbols? :)

Blessings
Elven x

http://www.halexandria.org/dward329.htm

Geometry and Astrology

The aspects of astrology are the angles (the geometry) between two planets as seen from the earth. Only certain angles are considered important, although close approximations to these angles (what astrologers refer to as being “in orb”) still count very strongly. There are numerous other aspects, but the natal chart is sufficiently busy that few astrologers go looking for more things to consider. (It’s pretty complicated as it is.) The most noteworthy of the different aspects include:

Conjunctions (Zero degrees): Basically the planets are very close to one another. The effect of a conjunctions can be either beneficial or challenging -- depending entirely upon the planets involved. Jupiter conjunct Pluto can be profoundly transformative, but Saturn conjunct Venus can be very limiting for the true romantic.

Sextiles (60 degrees): Sextiles are actively beneficial in the vast majority of situations. It’s lucky, but you may have buy the lottery ticket yourself.

Quintiles (72 degrees): This is seldom discussed, because it’s difficult to find. (All the other angles are based on 30 degree increments, which is precisely the number of degrees in each sign.) But from a cyclical point of view (see the Sabian Symbols of Philosophical Astrology), this is an important angle in astrology, and suggests a repetitive quality -- continuing to do the same thing and perhaps expecting a different result (which is how insanity is often defined). Alternatively, it’s about breaking the cycle, trying a new approach, making a fundamental pivot!

Squares (90 degrees): Almost always challenging, forces operating at cross purposes, difficult to content with and basically at odds. Paranoia, repression, exaggeration.

Trines (120 degrees): Passively beneficial. So pleasant, one might not even notice. Good luck, peaceful, easy.

Inconjunctions [also Quincunx](150 degrees): Difficult to define, illusionary, mystical. Niggling delusions and compulsions. Annoying, and sometimes called a Quincunx (which is also annoying).

Oppositions (180 degrees): Challenging, but more capable of being dealt with. It’s a matter of balancing, appreciating the opposite extreme. Good for growth.

Note that 270 degrees is equivalent to 90 degrees and is still a square. The basic rule is that for angles between 180 and 360, subtract the angle from 360 and go from there.

Given this astrological basis for these seven angles (0, 60, 72, 90, 120, 150, and 180), what can be construed in terms of geometry? The most obvious are the 60 and 120 degree angles (which form the three and six sided plane figures), and the perpendicular, the 90 degree square. According to the logic of astrological geometry, a six-sided room with equal angles would feel very good, while square rooms (the kind that are easy to build) are not such a good idea. The five sided (72 degree angle) pentagon is fundamental to Sacred Geometry, so there’s not much of a mystery there.

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Thank you Elven,
this is excellent information
I particularly like the trines description -
Passively beneficial. So pleasant, one might not even notice. Good luck, peaceful, easy!

Marina

Elven

Hi MCsea!! :)

Yes, these made it a little easier for me to understand what the 'meanings of the angles' meant - so I can relate is to a spread for the Symbols. This is why the spread cloths werent working. I had no idea what I was looking at. LOL!!

It makes a bit more sense now, and the cards (when they're finished) can be laid out in a spread - you choose from 360 cards - and lay out the reading so that you can get a visable spread.

Have a new idea too - will post that soon and please let me know what you think of how it will work - in the Making your own symbols thread!

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

HI,

I thought I had better add here before I go to far
that you could do a clock spread I feel for the symbols
too 12 around a circle and use the 12 as timing and
as astrological keys to gain more from the reading...

Id have to give it a go, but I use it for tarot.. and
just think the sabians would work well too..

Marina

cardlady22

360 by 5; every 72 degrees

I finally found a place to drop this off! When I read Dane Rudhyar's section on the pentarhythmic or 5 point division, I worked this up for myself to save time. I hope others find it useful.

ETA: The books by Dane Rudhyar & Marina Costelloe have the 360 notation, but I had to pencil them in for Lynda Hill's.

Attachments

• DRpentDref.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 662

MCsea

Very nice - and THANK YOu awesome look up table :)
have printed it and attached it to my work board
blessings

Marina

sdh3

cardlady22 said:
I finally found a place to drop this off! When I read Dane Rudhyar's section on the pentarhythmic or 5 point division, I worked this up for myself to save time. I hope others find it useful.

ETA: The books by Dane Rudhyar & Marina Costelloe have the 360 notation, but I had to pencil them in for Lynda Hill's.

I'd also post a spreadsheet with information on the Symbols as stars but I can't figure out how to attach a file. Perhaps I don't have this privileges yet.

thoughtfully
sdh3