It's the loneliest number since the number one
"No" is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number, whoa, worse than two"

(Three Dog Night)

Kali Kitty

DarkElectric said:
To me Aces are really nebulous. They're sort of like overhearing about some opportunity while standing at a bus stop, then deciding whether or not to act on that information.
The energy is around, it's available, but can disappear like mist, because it's nearly in the realm of suggestion. To me Ace energies are not as solid in their development as, perhaps, a page/princess would be.

Really interesting way of looking at the energy of the cards.. Just tonight I began seeing my thoth deck in a new way, sorting the cards into rows of either positive or negative images as they struck me, depending on how energy was indicated to flow through them, or not. Took me a sec to remember the princesses are the pages... damn re-ordering.. I'll have to study my court cards harder.. they're a pain.

But wouldn't anyone else feel with me that the aces can't disappear like mist because if they show up, it means that energy is present. Jung wrote somewhere that energy doesn't just vanish, it has to go somewhere, if it's repressed, it's bound to find another means of expression somewhere else - sublimation of sexual energy for example. Pure energy (the aces) isn't like mist that can vanish... it's more like steam that will fuel some mechanism or other.. as I understand it.

Concur, disagree?

Lain_82

Kali Kitty said:
But wouldn't anyone else feel with me that the aces can't disappear like mist because if they show up, it means that energy is present. Jung wrote somewhere that energy doesn't just vanish, it has to go somewhere, if it's repressed, it's bound to find another means of expression somewhere else - sublimation of sexual energy for example. Pure energy (the aces) isn't like mist that can vanish... it's more like steam that will fuel some mechanism or other.. as I understand it.

Concur, disagree?

I agree. If there's an Ace present in a reading i'd take it as a signal that his energy is present somehow, but it has to turn into something. Just because at first it's not focused on anything doesn't mean that it can dissapear like fog.... there is potential on an Ace for a lot of things, you just have to figure out a way to use it to your advantaje.

Flavio

Aces are raw energy which needs guideance, we tend to see the Aces as gifts but when you ask "what can be the negative side of this?" you start to get some shocking insights.

I've read intuitively Aces of Swords as a threat, it has confirmed in the reading the damage someone made to que Querent.

Artemis8

Bad side of aces?

I agree with what is said here. Just couple comments from when these aces have appeared in real life situations.

AoP...this has always been positive in my real life readings.
AoC...has meant overflowing emotions, emotion filled moment. In my experience can be sorrow as much as joy.
AoS...a warning not to be fooled. See the truth. In practice, has meant challenges ahead.
AoW...the one with the worst bad side IMO. I agree with previous poster. "Not civil". Brute force, bullying, aggression.

All depend on context of course.

headincloud

Ace swords is a breakthrough and a fresh plan but I guess it's not positive if you're planning a terrorist attack if that's what you mean. The card itself doesn't change though the cards around it do. I'm hard pushed to put a negative spin on Ace Cups because it brings emotional satisfaction and joy. Ace of Wands is a green light, a thumbs up on something and movement in the situation. Ace Pent is a firm financial start and often a new attitude towards health and exercise. I don't see any of these cards as negative especially not in their own right but I read reversed so there's no confusion as to the meanings.

Barleywine

I treat them as purely potential energy of the element involved, neither good nor bad in nature, a kind of nascent "seed-state." Like the Point in esoteric number theory, they have neither motion nor direction, and need to be "triggered" to unleash their power and directed to maximize it. They aren't the actual first step in any sequence of events, just the idea behind it. The querent must still take focused action to realize any kinetic advantage from the Aces; failing to do so could mean that the energy remains untapped and therefore "stillborn." They're like having a deep well but needing a long enough rope on your bucket to reach the water.

My thoughts on the Aces are that while they seem promising, they are just potential which can easily go to waste. I've seen Aces come up in readings where their energy only lasted for a little while, and not much else happened later on. The Ace of Wands, as one example, can mean attraction and sex...but that doesn't mean you're going to get much more than that!

magicjack

Most the time they are potential. They can also be a gift, to be able to start something that involves the suit energy. The golden dawn doesn't really think too much about them. But I'm getting to know the Tarot of the Holy Light and she works them into the 1'-10',. The first Decans. Her 10,s are not included. The meanings are pretty much the same as Golden Dawn though. (That s a whole other thread!). I like to look at them as something good is going to happen. I think they are positive cards myself. Of course if they fall in a neg position they would be more or less read as a reversal.

Barleywine

Most the time they they are potential. Ithey can also be a gift to be ablre to start something that involves the suit energy. The golden dawn doesn't really think they are too much. But I'm getting to know the Tarot of the Holy Light and she works them into the 1'-10',. The first Decans. Her 10,s are not included. The meanings are pretty much the same as Golden Dawn though. (That a whole other thread!). I like to look at them as something good is going to happen. I think they are positive cards myself.

I like the idea of a "gift" of energy. The antithesis of that might be "looking a gift horse in the mouth," whether through skepticism or indifference.