Common Sense Lenormand - Level II

Lee

"Common Sense Lenormand" is a system for reading the cards which I created because I felt the need for a system which was logical, understandable, and easily explained, without the necessity for the reader to guess at how cards in a line should be combined.

There are four threads in the series:

Level I - the basic 5-card spread
Level II (this thread) - one way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Level III - another way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Keywords - you can certainly use your own meanings but these are the keywords I developed for this method.

Level II and Level III each offer different options for going deeper and adding more cards. They both build on the five-card method described in Level I, but they do not build on each other. So once you've done a five-card Level I reading, if you want to go further, you can either proceed to a Level II or a Level III reading.

For those who discover this thread first, you will want to read the Level I thread before this one. I've also posted a thread of Keywords for my card meanings, but of course you can use any card meanings for the reading methods described in Levels I, II, and III.

Level II utilizes houses. Each reading will use only two houses. The houses are chosen randomly, so you will want to use a separate Lenormand deck for the houses so you can shuffle the cards. Many of us are compulsive Lenormand collectors and have more than one deck, so I don't foresee that the requirement to use two decks will pose a problem. :)

Personally I use Tierney Sadler's Deck of Lenormand Houses, which I highly recommend. The cards are large so that the cards we're reading can be placed over them without covering the House card title, and the lack of an image gives them an appropriately generic quality.

I'm going to use an actual reading to describe the method.

Here is the question for the reading: I have an aunt whose husband recently passed away. This aunt and I haven't spoken very much over the past ten years. We used to get along well, but she has a somewhat domineering and judgmental personality and we argued and fell out of touch. Lately I've been feeling that I would like to have a better relationship with her, and have sent her several friendly emails offering to get together and also offering any assistance I can give during this difficult time for her, and I've become a bit obsessed with trying to think of ways I can encourage her to be less stand-off-ish. She has responded in a polite and friendly tone but as far as getting together, she just says "maybe in the future." So my question is, do I have a good chance of successfully mending this relationship?

Step 1: Shuffle your Houses deck and lay out two cards (they'll need to have some distance from each other, you'll see why). The first card is Cause, the second card is Effect.

23 Mice.....................5 Bouquet

14725841396_055d154d3c.jpg

Just from these two cards alone, we can say that there are underlying problems and stresses in the relationship, but perhaps these stresses, and the overcoming of them, will in the end lead to a better and more enduring relationship.

Lee

Step 2:

Now we will lay out our five-card spread. Cards 1 and 2 are placed on the first House card. Card 3 is placed in between the House cards. Cards 4 and 5 are placed on the second House card.

.......23 Mice....................................................5 Bouquet
20 Park + 19 Tower...........12 Birds.............15 Bear + 21 Mountain

14562400477_56938fd2e4.jpg

These cards are read in exactly the same way as in Level I. Cards 1 and 2 are Cause, cards 4 and 5 are Effect, and card 3 is the pivot between Cause and Effect.

The only difference is that cards 1 and 2 are seen within the overall context of the House card they cover. Same with cards 4 and 5.

Cause:

In this case, Park and Tower show my desire to network and socialize (Park) with my aunt, who could be considered as inhabiting a more lofty position than myself, both by age, status within the family, and social status (Tower). The House card, Mice, places this combination in a troubling context - not an auspicious beginning for this spread.

Effect:

Indications of a heavy-duty (Bear) obstacle (Mountain) in the future on this issue. The House card Bouquet provides an unexpectedly positive and pleasant context.

Pivot:

The Birds indicates a level of nervous energy. My several emails to my aunt could be seen as a sort of nervous chattering at her, hoping for a response. That nervous energy leads to both the future obstacles (Bear+Mountain) and the potential future success (Bouquet). Perhaps my nervous chattering will wear down her resistance!

Lee

Step 3:

For this final step, we lay out two rows of five cards each, underneath the line we have so far.

.......23 Mice....................................................5 Bouquet
20 Park + 19 Tower...........12 Birds.............15 Bear + 21 Mountain
34 Fish + 16 Stars.............32 Moon.............25 Ring + 17 Stork
36 Cross + 24 Heart..........30 Lily................18 Dog + 4 House

14562229108_220a52c614.jpg

There are now 17 cards on the table, which can seem a bit overwhelming for those who may not have a lot of Grand Tableau experience. But we break it down into manageable chunks.

Lines 2 and 3 are seen as adjuncts to the original line, and the House cards apply to all three lines. Thus we have three areas, which I've circled in red on the photo, corresponding to Cause, Pivot, and Effect.

The cards in each line are still read in combinations of two, with the second card "carrying" the first card. They provide a fuller picture of the first line.

Let's look at the first section, the red oval on the left. All these cards are governed by the Mice house. We already know that Park (Garden in this deck) and Tower indicate my desire to network with my lofty aunt. In the second line, we see my aforementioned obsession with trying to think up ways to get her to be more friendly - abundance (Fish) of plans (Star). In the third line, we clearly see emotional (Heart) pain (Cross) at the heart of the matter. Together, these six cards show the basic issue (Garden+Tower), how I am acting on it (Fish+Stars), and underlying emotions (Cross+Heart), all under the aegis of the Mice House.

Now let's turn to the third section (in general, it's fine to read the five-card lines by either considering cards 1+2, then 3+4, and finally card 3 for the pivot, or considering 1+2, then 3, then 4+5).

We already know that we have heavy-duty (Bear) obstacles (Mountain) ahead. In line 2, by proposing a resumption of good relations with her, I'm basically promising (Ring) to do better (Stork) with family relations. In line 3, I'm stating my intention to provide loyalty and support (Dog) to my "House" (i.e. family, in the "Game of Thrones" sense).

Turning to the Pivot cards, we have one card in each line instead of two, so we can simply combine all three cards together. My nervous energy (Birds) is accompanied by a desire to be thought well of (Moon) by an older person (Lily).

So what will be the outcome? A legitimate question we might ask is, do the heavy obstacles in the Effect section show a negative outcome, or does the positivity of the House card and the relatively positive cards in lines 2 and 3 overcome that? I prefer to think the latter, although clearly it will be a long haul to get there.

Ferne

Thanks Lee for explaining the next levels, that's a lot of information!

I definitely will try this when I get more experience under my belt. Right now I only have just one deck to work with, and I have gotten as for as 2-3 card spreads. I don't understand Houses yet. Guess you could say that I'm a "beginner's beginner"

So I'm going to tuck this away in my journal and come back to it again when I'm ready.

Really enjoy working with the first level right now, I get quit a bit out of it.
Thank you for the help!

Ferne

Lee

Thanks Ferne, absolutely, the whole idea of different levels is to use them as/when/if you feel the desire to. Best of luck with it!