Cross in Under the Roses Lenormand

MissNine

In the LWB that comes with the deck, the AUthor lists their definition as a situation requiring faith. This is a lighter and more positive take on the cross than what I use with my french Cartomancy deck. Normally, the cross is something which burdens of a destined situation.

I wanted to ask those who use the Under the Roses deck if they use the positive take on the cross the authors use all the time or sometimes.

danielnogo

In the LWB that comes with the deck, the AUthor lists their definition as a situation requiring faith. This is a lighter and more positive take on the cross than what I use with my french Cartomancy deck. Normally, the cross is something which burdens of a destined situation.

I wanted to ask those who use the Under the Roses deck if they use the positive take on the cross the authors use all the time or sometimes.
You can do whatever you want, its your readings, some people will tell you that there is only one way to do things or that you have to do things by tradition but its your choice. As for me, I learned my lenormand definitions and I stick to those regardless of the deck I'm using. What matters is being consistent with your definitions.

Tag_jorrit

You will only find positive spins on the Cross card in the last maybe 5-10 years. Up until probably the 1940s the instructions on how to read Lenormand were these.

But as Danielnogo says, you can read the cards any way you want as long as you are consistent. But if you want to read Lenormand the way that it started, you will always go back to the original instruction sheet and go from there.

If you are interested in learning Lenormand as it has been for the last 150 years, you could go here and find some information sources that adhere to the old methods. Or not.

MissNine

You can do whatever you want, its your readings, some people will tell you that there is only one way to do things or that you have to do things by tradition but its your choice. As for me, I learned my lenormand definitions and I stick to those regardless of the deck I'm using. What matters is being consistent with your definitions.

I agree with doing your own thing. I think that once you settle on interpretations for cards, you should stick with them. However, due to the pretty illustration on the Under the Roses Cross, as well as the distinctive interpretation in the LWB (also with the traditional meanings below on the page), I had to stop and wonder if any other readers stopped for a second to rethink their interpretation of the Cross while using the UTR deck.

In Tarot, I do tend to change interpretations of individual cards, depending on the illustration. I'm new to Lennies, so this kind of threw me for a loop. I had thought most Lennie decks looked pretty much the same.

Thank you!

MissNine

You will only find positive spins on the Cross card in the last maybe 5-10 years. Up until probably the 1940s the instructions on how to read Lenormand were these.

But as Danielnogo says, you can read the cards any way you want as long as you are consistent. But if you want to read Lenormand the way that it started, you will always go back to the original instruction sheet and go from there.

If you are interested in learning Lenormand as it has been for the last 150 years, you could go here and find some information sources that adhere to the old methods. Or not.

Thank you for this link! Yes, I am very interested in the traditional methods and can't wait to delve into this a bit more. I have Rana George's book and like it a lot as well.

Sharla

I have this same deck and with this card it depends on the question and cards surrounding in what i interpret it as, i did a reading for a friend concerning a deal he was going to make and i cant remember all the cards now but one of them was mice and another was whip, so in this reading especially as cross was the center card i interpreted it as being bringing a lot of trouble with this deal if he goes ahead and it did turn out right in what i said.

If i get cards that seem positive combined with the cross card, especially love concerns then i would use this card as the fate card and that its destined to be etc.

Seraphina

Although I'm a Lenormand beginner, I have always viewed the Cross card as negative, even Rana George says in her book that it is a negative card, the meanings she lists for it are quite dire! She says the only time it is neutral is if about religion..
I do not have the UTR deck but have viewed the images online, it is pretty, but being a newbie I prefer a more simpler deck tbh.
But it wouldnt matter to me what Lenormand deck I was using the cross would not be positive to me on that card, the severity of the negativity would of course depend on the question being asked.

I am Learning and sticking with the traditional meanings as much as I can but also bearing in mind the modern age we live in, so far it works for me.

Padma

I think much depends on where the Cross falls within the reading, and what is around it. I don't think of it as immediate crap,horror and grief in every situation, just as I do not *always* see the Fox or the Snake or the Coffin as evil and dire - it depends what is around them. Context really matters! You would not automatically assume "Death" every time the Coffin comes up, right? You'd look at the surrounding cards before predicting something that final and dire.

I have had it come up as grief, sadness, depression, a religious person, a burden, feeling stuck or imprisoned in a situation, as cabin fever, as a planned date or event. And yes, sometimes as something fated. Take your pick, but I am with Sharla here - pay attention to the cards that are around it, and interpret it accordingly (and in accordance with your question! ;) )

MissNine

I think much depends on where the Cross falls within the reading, and what is around it. I don't think of it as immediate crap,horror and grief in every situation, just as I do not *always* see the Fox or the Snake or the Coffin as evil and dire - it depends what is around them. Context really matters! You would not automatically assume "Death" every time the Coffin comes up, right? You'd look at the surrounding cards before predicting something that final and dire.

I have had it come up as grief, sadness, depression, a religious person, a burden, feeling stuck or imprisoned in a situation, as cabin fever, as a planned date or event. And yes, sometimes as something fated. Take your pick, but I am with Sharla here - pay attention to the cards that are around it, and interpret it accordingly (and in accordance with your question! ;) )

Ah! That comment about the Fox and co. not always being doom and gloom TOTALLY makes sense!! I've actually seen other cards (coffin) be positive for a transformation of sorts. THANK YOU for putting this in great perspective for me, Padma!