I'm just not feeling these decks...

PeonyInLove

Thank you for the advice. I will keep them and see what happens but honestly atm it's kind of feeling way too forced and surely I shouldn't have to force anything. It also happened with another deck I bought (not Doreen). So far it's just my RWS that I feel comfortable using and have since the day I started using it.

I had heard that people weren't all that impressed with DV but I thought it was maybe because of the heavy religious connotations that I have found throughout her decks? But I've tried 4 of her decks now (3 were oracle) and I'm going to give myself an aneurism from trying too hard to make friends with the damn things lol

lark

I think the best oracles have a good base of positive and challenge cards and hers tend to be overly positive...so there is no ying and yang to them.
So they tend to come off as false...like a friend who is listening to your problems while they are looking at their cell phone.
Oh yeah sorry to hear that well here is an affirmation for you and a pretty picture..."keep your chin up there will soon be a light at the end of the tunnel"....angel blessings and fairy dust sprinkle... peace...over and out..

I want an oracle to show me insight into the problem and give me advice about the issue.
Not just pat me on my head and send me on my way.

Laura Borealis

I suppose you could trim the trite phrases off the DV decks and go with the pictures alone, see if you connect better with it.

Onion Budgie

Yes, hang onto the decks, even if you're not really connecting with them at the moment. Maybe at some point in the future you'll find yourself in a particular mood that will draw you towards them. Because of their positive nature, people can and do look to her cards for comfort. Sometimes -- sometimes! -- comfort is what's needed.

As an aside, DV's YouTube videos tend to make me feel uncomfortable. She seems to me like two bananas short of a bunch.

MysticMoonlight

I just don't jive with DV decks either, with the exception of one (the Goddess Guidance Oracle...this one is quite readable and doesn't give me the repulsive vibe). I have 2 other decks of hers that I purchased after the Goddess Guidance Oracle expecting to like them well enough but nope. I bought them very early on because they were pretty and I'd seen someone read very well with them but for me, they leave me with a repulsed feeling that I just cannot get past. Even after years of trying, repulsion, repulsion, repulsion. I gave up on them and no longer purchase her work. I do still use the Goddess Guidance Oracle, however, although not very often. My liking for it has lessened over the years but I can use it without feeling that icky weirdness that I get from her other decks.

Holly doll

Another mass marketed money grabbing exercise - "Leave it to the Angels & it will be fine... Think positively & all will be well..."

They don't address the challenges we face in a realistic, helpful way, imo they just encourage people to be passive & wait for the Angels to deliver - silly & in extremes outright damaging. No affirmation chanting & wishful thinking is going to get anyone out of an abusive situation, no re-languaging is going to change a weight problem without action like exercise being taken... Just crank another one out with the family faces on it & take the money...

mydearruby

No affirmation chanting & wishful thinking is going to get anyone out of an abusive situation, no re-languaging is going to change a weight problem without action like exercise being taken.

very well said! We don't need another dose of opium to kiss up to the already overprotected and self-delusional ego.

Celtictarot

I used to own a few of her decks, but I grew out of them quickly. Her cards feel dead energetically and the woman and her sidekick Radleigh Valentine (who defo appears to be a tad dense) are shady peoople

hedface

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm genuinely curious - why do you say she is a snake oil saleswoman?

2dogs

She does churn out product in suspiciously large quantity - a search on the Hay House website returns "Hay House has 28 item(s) in Card Decks by the author Doreen Virtue" :!:.