New Rumi Oracle

Dee Ell

I love this deck so much more after working with it! It has a lot of depth, and really speaks to my intuition and soul. I think the guidebook is a bit repetitive and wordy, but the cards themselves, just sitting with one or three and letting them speak to you - amazing! I wasn't too impressed at first, but it grew on me, and for me I must say it works better without reading too much of the guidebook. I also don't pay too much attention to the card titles. :)

Yeah, I really resonate with Rassouli's art - is very similar to the aesthetic I paint but with different subject matter. I've had his Journey of Love oracle on my wishlist since before it came out but think I might like this deck better.

I think it's a bit of a shame that Fairchild wrote the companion book as it appears to be everyone's least favorite part of the project.

Rassouli is Iranian and created these images from his personal connection with Rumi and then sought Fairchild out to do the companion book (assumably bc they worked on the last project together). But he also has his own book out on his experiences with Rumi! So it's a bummer he didn't do the guidebook to go along with his images created from the poetry himself. (Maybe he wrote the Rumi book after once he saw the companion book final product šŸ˜‚ )

Anyway, if anyone has this deck AND his JoL deck, I'd love to hear your opinion on which you prefer and why...

danieljuk

I bought this oracle some months ago, I was going through a Rumi phase of my life and wanted it, I think this thread enabled me :D I agree with Madrigal though it's underwhelming.

The good things about it:

- the cards are a nice (shiny) stock and you get the large cards in a big box with quite a large thick book. Nice patterned backs and box.

- the artwork is really nice and great to meditate on.

- they really are Rumi quotes and his philosophy.

The bad things about it:

- I find the artwork on the card / caption on the card or title of the card/ write up about it in the book jarring, they don't connect well. Does the artwork really represent the Rumi saying or the title? The link is so loose it just seems random. There is no Rumi sayings on the cards really at all, like artwork and card title (based on the Rumi) and card back on the other side.

- The meanings in the book are a literal essay! The original Rumi (and like someone said it doesn't say where it came from originally) and then the artists interpretation and how you take it into your own life. I am not sure the Fairchild write up even always matches the Rumi.

I think this deck is great for meditation work or a card of the day but it's not great for doing readings with or for others. Looking up each card gives you an entire essay to try and use :D

Comparing it to similar decks, the Osho Zen Tarot and Psycards (Jung) do it better, they have definite archetypes of the philosopher as the cards and the artwork / title and write up (with quotes) represents the archetype. That might be harder to do with Rumi but I don't think his philosophy is implemented well. I just bought the Joy and Sorrow Oracle by Roxi Sim. The front of the cards has her gorgeous artwork and a card title. On the back is her philosophy and a meditation for how to recover from trauma or loss. Rumi needed keywords or a little part of the quote as part of the card (maybe on the backs). It just needed a slight improvement in the system I think to make it a great oracle that really shows off Rumi :) I would recommend it for a meditation deck though but not reading!

Dee Ell there is no black and white cards, they are all colourful.

Citrin

I find the artwork on the card / caption on the card or title of the card/ write up about it in the book jarring, they don't connect well. Does the artwork really represent the Rumi saying or the title? The link is so loose it just seems random. There is no Rumi sayings on the cards really at all, like artwork and card title (based on the Rumi) and card back on the other side.

Yes, I agree!
I really wish they would've put just a word or sentence representing a Rumi poem instead of this jibberish (some are great, but a lot of them are like "WTF?")... :( When I read with it I actually try to ignore the title, the art itself just goes so much better with my intuitive responses.

danieljuk

I will give ignoring the titles a go the next time I am reading with them Citrin, good idea! :thumbsup: