Britta's / Brika Lenormand (and courses, too)

Hedera

It looks like the site for Britta's Lenormand deck (Brika publishing) has been revamped since the link got posted in the versions-thread:

http://www.kartenlegekurse.de/index.php?id=124,142,0,0,1,0

Or perhaps this is a different page alltogether.

Anyway, I found it relatively easy to navigate, and I've just bought the deck. :D

I like the fact that there are no verses or playing card symbols on the cards - just the object.

She also has two books / courses in English: one is a compact course, nice and cheap (around 15 Euro I think), the other is what looks like a three-part course, 25 Euro for each part.

I might purchase the compact course in a little while to start with, and see how I like her style.

If you hover over the circles with the name of the course, you get a yellow float-up circle (on my monitor rather vague), and you can see a pdf-preview.

Does anyone own (and use) this deck?

Perhaps someone has experiences with her books?

drfrog93

I am interested in the course, but I'm not too sure of the difference between the "compact" and the "basic" course (apart from the price difference).

Would you mind providing a basic summary/breakdown of each, and which one to start with (I'm a beginner with this system)?

Cheers!

Hedera

drfrog93 said:
I am interested in the course, but I'm not too sure of the difference between the "compact" and the "basic" course (apart from the price difference).

Would you mind providing a basic summary/breakdown of each, and which one to start with (I'm a beginner with this system)?

Cheers!

Hi drfog93,

I'm a complete beginner with the Lenormand as well! :)

And so far, I haven't bought any of her courses yet - I was wondering if other people had any experience with them.

Sorry I can't help you!

Hedera

I got my Britta's Lenormand today - that only took 2 days from Germany, wow! :)

I have a visitor coming, so I don't have much time, but I just quickly wanted to give my first impressions.

The cards come in a milky colourless plastic, two-part box, like the one of the Baum Tarot; seems quite sturdy, and it's easy to use.
A lot more wear-proof than cardboard boxes, I wouldn't worry about throwing this in my bag.

The art is very nice; on the website the pictures looked a bit fuzzy, but irl they're quite beautiful.
They look almost collage-like; combinations of (I think) photographs in some cases, along with oil paint and paper, and an almost 3-D effect in the background sometimes.
Quite atmospheric, but at the same time it's usually immediately clear which picture is which. The only one I have a bit of trouble with is the Book, which I find somewhat cluttered. The other cards are clear and simple, the design does not get in the way of the image.

Unfortunately, there is NO documentation at all with the deck; I wasn't expecting a book, but a LWB or even a card with some information would have been nice.
Of course I have been collecting Lenormand information online for the last few days, so I'm not starting from scratch, but anyone who got these cards without knowing anything else would be stumped.

I wonder if there is a book specifically for this deck, rather than her general courses? I might ask her about it.

In the upper right hand corner of the cards, there are three different symbols; an elaborate letter B (on most of the cards), or a clock (on 8 or so) and an eye (on 4 of them).
One of the two extra cards says that the clock stands for 'timing' and the eye for 'future'. That is the only information of any kind that comes with the cards.
I'm not sure what to do with those symbols, I'll probably just ignore them for now.

The backs are rather pretty; dark red and creamy pink, with a sort of flower-motif.
Unfortunately, they not only have the copyright notice on them, but also the name of her website.
While I'm glad the copyright notice is not on the front, having all of that 'practical' information on the back is a little bit much.

The cards are about playing-card sized.
Cardstock is VERY nice, strong but not too stiff, smooth but not shiny, and it shuffles really well.
Borders front and back are an unobtrusive cream, which I vastly prefer to stark white.

All in all, in spite of a few reservations, I really like these cards.
I think I will use them along with more 'traditional' Lenormand cards to learn; they are great to look at, nice and colourful and modern without being too trendy or over-the-top.

sammyofnyc

Hello Hedera

This is Sammy. I purchased Sylvie Steinbach's Secret of the Lenormand and it is a great book. Trust me you will have to do a lot of homework to really learn the book inside out since there is so much information associated with each card. I would say information overload!!!!

You can also get a general meaning of each card online from many websites including this one but the book gives you so much more information. But be careful. I have read other websites that have their own meaning and spreads and they seem to contradict the book a little bit. I would just stick with the book so that you won't go crazy. That should be enough.

Sylvie has more than 30 years of experience with the Lenormand card so I think you can trust her judgment regarding the information she gives you.

Also, Sylvie has a several threads here at this website. Check it out.

Good Luck...

Sam