Mini Rosetta tins

Babalon Jones

The mini Rosetta decks are supposed to be delivered by the end of the day. I'm still working on the tins though, so they won't be available for sale for a few more days. I just thought I'd share a few pictures of the tins in progress.

The tins will have an attached ribbon wrap that encloses the decks, made from wide double sided satin ribbon in either true red or dark blue. I have a lot of assembly to do for the tins as I purchased plain ones. Each tin gets a silica gel pack insert (to keep the decks "fresh" haha). The ribbons all get cut with a zig-zag cut which looks cool and prevents fraying. Each tin gets sanded to accept the ribbon attachment and then they are glued on with super strong jewelry cement to adhere them to the metal. Then they will have labels with the design from the card backs attached, and a varnish applied over that.

First is a picture taken of some of the tins with the ribbons attached and drying in the sun. This was taken on 5/5, Cinco de Mayo and pictured is 55 tins. The edition will be 555 tins so this is but a fraction of them! They are weighted down by the tin covers to keep the wind from blowing them over while they dry.

In addition to the normal ones, I did some experimental ones just for fun as I had a few extra tins. I did some with the Stele of Revealing, the pic shows the front of one and back of the other to show the front and back of the stele on the front and back of the tins. Another pic shows one with a heart diagram on one, and the other was a true science experiment where I drew the design on the tin with nail polish and then etched it into the tin with electricity in a salt water bath, then removed the polish, added some copper and patina finish. The last pic is one of the mini toolboxes I made. I made one single layer toolbox, to just hold a deck, a double layer toolbox that will hold a deck in the bottom of the toolbox and altar items of your choice in the top half (reading cloth or crystals maybe?) and one toolbox (shown in pic) using more compact tins that would hold a deck if you put half in the top and half in the bottom. These toolboxes were a ton of work to make, so not sure if I will make any more unless it seems people want them.

I also did some custom tins that have card images from the Rosetta on the front cover of the tin, and the card backs on back. I did the Moon, Sun, Star and Hermit so far, but don't have a picture yet. I was thinking of offering the option of upgrading one's order to have the tins colored instead of silver and the card of choice on the front with the card back on back of the tin for a small extra charge if there was interest.

I'll post more pics of those tins with the card image tonight, and also some close ups of the inside of the tins showing how the ribbon wraps work, and a picture of the how the standard tin option with the card back design on the front will look. The final pic called "early tin prototype" will give you some idea, but the decals will be professionally printed and so look better and will be more centered than the one shown!

Attachments

• 55 tins on Cinco de Mayo.jpg
    55 tins on Cinco de Mayo.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 227
  • stele of revealing tins.jpg
    stele of revealing tins.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 198
  • ink heart and salt etching tins.jpg
    ink heart and salt etching tins.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 194
  • toolbox.JPG
    toolbox.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 193
  • early tin prototype.jpg
    early tin prototype.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 187

Babalon Jones

I also have a very limited quantity of leather cases on the way. They were custom made to the size of the mini decks and fit like a glove. A friend in Latvia makes them by hand out of super soft leather. I attached a pic of one I have for my full size deck so you can see how nice they will be. They have a strap that snaps to hold the deck in place and then there is a flap that also snaps in place so they are really snug and won't fall out in a pocket or purse. These will only get nicer with time.

OK well I will most some pics of the actual mini decks and actual standard tins I'll be offering tonite, assuming they get here today!

Attachments

• leather case.jpg
    leather case.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 190

Babalon Jones

I found another pic of the toolboxes in the larger size too...this size the decks fit into a single section.

I'd love to make a "tarot toolkit" of the double toolboxes, with decks in the bottom half and then little replicas of wand, pentacle, cup and sword in the top :)

Attachments

• toolboxes2.JPG
    toolboxes2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 164

daphne

555 mini-decks! How great is this?! You are amazing! I am dreaming already of the card stock, do you know if it is the same buttery feeling like standard size?

I love the Rosetta tin design the most, both versions I saw in the pictures, colored and metal. What do you think about the staying power, wont get wiped/fade in time?

I like the tin idea, it protects the cards, especially when the minis, intended to go everywhere. Excellent decision!
The leather cases look great, but if I have to choose, I am more attracted to the metal ones, but it`s just me.

Looking forward to see the decks, how they look like, how they feel.

Babalon Jones

Hi daphne! The mini decks are done by the same printers on the same cardstock, so they should be identical to the full size.

I like the standard tins too, with just the card back design on the front. With the colors of the ribbons they look really good together. As I said, hopefully can post pics of the actual ones, close up, tonite after having a chance to open the packages and inspect them and assemble one to photo.

As far as durability goes, I am taking the extra step of applying a layer of matte varnish over the labels to make them last longer. But I don't imagine that the labels will last forever, if they are say banging around in a purse full of other objects. The tins themselves are seamless and very sturdy, though their perfect shiny finish will probably scratch after a while even with the varnish. I personally rather like the look of worn objects though. My thought is someone could also decorate their own tin however they like (paint, decoupage, patina, etc) once the label/tin started to show wear if that bothered them. The tins take acrylic paint really well.

I would have liked to have the design directly printed on the tins, but my printers couldn't accomodate that so I had to go with labels. And I think even a printing directly on the tin would scratch eventually, so there is no perfect solution, unless you put your tin in a bag, haha, sort of defeats the purpose to me though.

daphne

Same card stock? Divine!!!

And no, I would also like a worn out tin, with the deck cozy protected.

Maybe it`s a little bit strange, but I just love so much your card back design, so colorful, vibrant, powerful (this is not very often to have a deck with exquisite backs, usually they are not so inspiring, artists forget they are very important, you see it so very often as the fronts), that I want to protected. That is why I asked.
But it will look great still on the tin, even if in time dilutes.
And anyway, I will buy 2, I am crazy about minis, so I can have it with me all the time. What is the size, is it something like mini Victorian Romantic?

Bluefeet

They look gorgeous! Absolutely divine! Can't wait to place my order. :D :love:

DaisyDragonfly

Adore the tins! Looking forward to this so much :D

I agree with daphne: the card backs are stunning. Such a vibrant deck all round...

Babalon Jones

The boxes arrived from the printers and with much anticipation and some nervousness I opened them. Relieved and happy to say that the print and cutting quality is excellent! So far the ones I have opened look as good as I had hoped and maybe even better.

Here are a few promised pictures, of the actual tins and decks that will be for sale. Plus a picture of the mini leather pouches that will be available as soon as they arrive here from Latvia, and a picture of a tin decoupaged with a borderless print of the Moon card. Also I included a picture that shows the size as compared to the full size decks. The mini decks are about 3 1/4" by a hair less than 2 1/8".

One of the cool things for the minis is that the "bonus" significator cards that I customize with your name in hieroglyphs are now professionally printed rather than ones I printed, so they will be much more durable and shuffle-able.

I'll need a couple of days to sign and number all the deck signature cards, apply the labels and varnish, get the website ready etc. I will post the date and time that these will be available to buy on the website so that people who want a low number can be ready to click :D

Now I have a lot of work to do over the next few days, 555 decks to ready! There is something so cool about seeing that many of something all together :thumbsup:

Attachments

• tin with red ribbon.JPG
    tin with red ribbon.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 149
  • tin with blue ribbon.JPG
    tin with blue ribbon.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 155
  • deck size comparison.jpg
    deck size comparison.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 188
  • tin with the moon.JPG
    tin with the moon.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 152
  • pouches.JPG
    pouches.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 152

daphne

Oh, these are real gems!

And to have so many around you, must be exhilarating.

The decks look amazing. The tins also. I like the blue ribbon most. Goes so well with the backs. But the red is a match too. It`s really hard to decide to pick one. And now I like the pouches too! :)
You have beautiful vision and magic hands to make it reality! Congrats!

I hope you will have fun putting these all together. We are waiting.