Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Metallic Decks

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks


 
Rose Lalonde  Rose Lalonde is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2014
Location: Land of Light and Rain
Posts: 1,096
Rose Lalonde 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
And some, like the otherwise magnificent Renaissance, are a bit, should I say, WTF-ish. Though perhaps that's due to my trying to shoehorn it into a more traditional Tarot structure.
I don't think the WTF-ishness is from you trying to shoehorn. That 2 of Wands with Attis bleeding out (& looking bored) while his self-removed testicles sit in the grass in front of him. Yeah, no, that's an odd card for me. (image nsfw)

(I do own the deck, though! It has the 17 surviving cards form the Estensi, and I wanted those.)
Top   #51
EmpyreanKnight's Avatar
EmpyreanKnight  EmpyreanKnight is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,853
EmpyreanKnight 
Citizen

EmpyreanKnight's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
I do agree that one should have all the unfailingly gorgeous metallic LS decks. And they are fortunately on the cheap side --well, except for the Nefertari, which is the only one I don't have. (Is the Byzantine a LS deck? Can't remember. I don't have that one, either.)
You're a man after my own heart, FLiz, and it truly is surprising that with all that foil and craftsmanship, it's about the cost of an average Tarot deck. I mean, seriously? But maybe we shouldn't enable people, otherwise their prices might indeed soar if the demand for them rises too much.

I changed my mind. These decks are overrated, flaking, flimsy things, and your money will be better served buying something else.

Btw I think the Byzantine deck Le Fanu is referring to is the Golden Tarot of the Tsar by Atanassov. I have the Byzantine Tarot by Matthews, and yeah I think it will be a perfect counterpoint to the Tsar Tarot in a two-deck reading. I can't wait to try that!
Top   #52
FLizarraga's Avatar
FLizarraga  FLizarraga is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Dec 2013
Location: Here, of course
Posts: 4,048
FLizarraga 
Citizen

FLizarraga's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Lalonde View Post
I don't think the WTF-ishness is from you trying to shoehorn. That 2 of Wands with Attis bleeding out (& looking bored) while his self-removed testicles sit in the grass in front of him. Yeah, no, that's an odd card for me.

(I do own the deck, though! It has the 17 surviving cards form the Estensi, and I wanted those.)

Well, since I'm not the most learned cat in the room (I'm more of the "you say decan, I hear deacon" variety) and Giordano Berti is supposed to be an expert, I tend to think other people know something I don't.

Granted, it is a thing of beauty (and a joy forever). Plus the choice of frescos for the remaining cards does give it a very satisfying cohesiveness, stylistically speaking, don't you think?

But it sort of looks like a case of "What were they SMOKING?", if you know what I mean.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
You're a man after my own heart, FLiz, and it truly is surprising that with all that foil and craftsmanship, it's about the cost of an average Tarot deck. I mean, seriously? But maybe we shouldn't enable people, otherwise their prices might indeed soar if the demand for them rises too much.




Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
I changed my mind. These decks are overrated, flaking, flimsy things, and your money will be better served buying something else.

Ha! Who are you fooling, Segismundo? Not yourself, and definitely not me...


Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
Btw I think the Byzantine deck Le Fanu is referring to is the Golden Tarot of the Tsar by Atanassov. I have the Byzantine Tarot by Matthews, and yeah I think it will be a perfect counterpoint to the Tsar Tarot in a two-deck reading. I can't wait to try that!

Nah. If LeFanu said the Byzantine, he probably means the Byzantine. You can bet he has it. He has them ALL --seven copies of each. He probably has the original Sola Busca, and even the legendary Castle Aaargh Tarot. I imagine LeFanu having a secret Tarot vault behind a bookcase, where he goes and rubs his hands and cackles like a movie villain. Very 9 of Cups, but with more hand rubbing.

But now that you mention it, if the Byzantine is a Matthews deck, then it's not published by LS. I don't have it, though I do have the (gorgeous!) Tsar.
Top   #53
MoonGypsy's Avatar
MoonGypsy  MoonGypsy is offline
Source Heiress
 
Join Date: 18 Nov 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 15,590
MoonGypsy 
Source Heiress

MoonGypsy's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flizarraga
Nah. If LeFanu said the Byzantine, he probably means the Byzantine. You can bet he has it. He has them ALL --seven copies of each. He probably has the original Sola Busca, and even the legendary Castle Aaargh Tarot. I imagine LeFanu having a secret Tarot vault behind a bookcase, where he goes and rubs his hands and cackles like a movie villain. Very 9 of Cups, but with more hand rubbing.
Oh, Flizzy! That last comment made me laugh so hard that i snorted and my
coffee went up my nose!!! You and our beloved Le Fanu both have such a
way with words! Wordsmiths thou art!
Top   #54
silvereye's Avatar
silvereye  silvereye is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 530
silvereye 
Citizen

silvereye's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
I do agree that one should have all the unfailingly gorgeous metallic LS decks. And they are fortunately on the cheap side --well, except for the Nefertari, which is the only one I don't have. (Is the Byzantine a LS deck? Can't remember. I don't have that one, either.)

Like I said, they are unfailingly gorgeous. Some are a little less inventive than others (I'm looking at you, Botticelli. I mean, really? How many Venuses and Madonnas of the Magnificat? Atanassov was asleep at the wheel there...).

And some, like the otherwise magnificent Renaissance, are a bit, should I say, WTF-ish. Though perhaps that's due to my trying to shoehorn it into a more traditional Tarot structure. Surprisingly enough, the Mantegna -- which is its own animal and not what we think of as Tarot at all -- reads very well for me.
The Botticelli one looks lovely except for the first card, the Fool, it's taken on the literal meaning staring up like a retard, really?
Top   #55
Rose Lalonde  Rose Lalonde is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2014
Location: Land of Light and Rain
Posts: 1,096
Rose Lalonde 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
Well, since I'm not the most learned cat in the room (I'm more of the "you say decan, I hear deacon" variety) and Giordano Berti is supposed to be an expert, I tend to think other people know something I don't.

Granted, it is a thing of beauty (and a joy forever). Plus the choice of frescos for the remaining cards does give it a very satisfying cohesiveness, stylistically speaking, don't you think?

But it sort of looks like a case of "What were they SMOKING?", if you know what I mean.

Yes! I'm sure he is an expert, absolutely. It's just that no amount of expertise will make me believe someone can look that bored after self mutilation. I guess I can blame Attis' expression (and the grabby gentleman on the 2 of Cups) on the frescos... which, as you said, do give a nice cohesiveness to the deck. But for myself, I mostly like having those 17 gorgeous Estensi cards with the gold foil.
Top   #56
Nemia  Nemia is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Sep 2013
Location: End of Nowhere
Posts: 2,492
Nemia 
Citizen

The Golden Tarot of the Tsar is a metallic LoS deck that uses Byzantine art. The Byzantine tarot by Caitlin Matthews doesn't use metallic foil but a similar artistic style and much gold colour - but it's not shiny. I have both and love to compare them.

The Byzantine is much more critical, it's byzantine art as seen from the outside, as just another mythology or system of archetypes (very intelligent and very well done). The Tsar is made as though from within the Orthdox church, with little critical distance but great respect for the tradition.

I find them both wonderful study decks. The book that comes with the Byzantine is great. And I teach byzantine art so I'm a critical reader.

Both decks are recommended by Nemia!
Top   #57
nisaba's Avatar
nisaba  nisaba is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: Proudly Australian
Posts: 61,796
nisaba 
Citizen

nisaba's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
I have to confess, I find the Nefertari a bit Cairo-Souvenir-shop so tend not to use it.
Well, that, too. The so-called Egyptian figures are a very 20th-century take on Egyptology. And the blue that's ment to represent lapis lazuli on - say - the Wands, is a very saggy sodalite-blue instead. But that's a part of its charm! Along with all the dazzling gold.

Quote:
The Klimt really is my favourite though - I like the gold in geometric, modernist slabs.
But its only little bits of gold, sadly. I've definitely got the magpe gene.

Quote:
Whatever your tastes, these LoS gold decks are quite something...But one should really have them ALL instead of picking and choosing...
FINALLY you talk sense! <wipes brow with relief>
Top   #58
Amsonia's Avatar
Amsonia  Amsonia is offline
XVII The Star
 
Join Date: 19 Jan 2012
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,295
Amsonia 
XVII The Star

Amsonia's Avatar

No one has mentioned the Golden Thread Tarot. I have it, but can't speak to the gold lasting, as I have only used it a couple of times, and I have the original version on cardstock, now they are printing them on waterproof plastic, and the black is matte instead of shiny like on mine, they look great. Anyway, it is NOTHING but gold printing...on black, very bright shiny gold and strangely LEGO'ish. Definitely a good one to add to a gold leaf collection.
Top   #59


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.