21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step THREE

tabi

Step THREE: HUDES ~~~ The Devil:

First, describe the emotions and feelings on the card for the character(s) involved and the environment they are within.

Sadness, loss, loniliness, anger, pride, confidence, coldness.

The environment in which the entire card is set seems cold and standoffish to me. It is one of lack of emotions for that.

The Devil is more of the anger, pride, confidence, some coldness from him even in all of his hot red color. A strong persona with a tight control on things.

The man and woman, they are the ones that look lost, sadness, and even lonely even though they are only an arms reach away.

Second, repeat this step but put your description in the "first person."

I'm cold and lonely, feeling as if no one else understands my position or in which that I find myself in. I feel this large pressure, pushing down on me. That no where do I turn could I be free from it. I can't reach out because of my own self-doubt and self-loathing. Even if I did reach out I would only be turned away. Is it only from my own pride or anger that is causing this?

Third, relate a personal and real-life situation which involved similar feelings and qualities which you have just described.

Wow....that really does remind me of my marriage and ending of it. Was it the anger, pride, and self-confidence that ended it? Or the fact that I felt so lonely because the person I was married to was pulling away from me. If either he or I bothered to look up would we have seen that we could have been there together instead of having it end? Admittedly by the time it did end there was no saving it but. I'm pretty sure that our own prides got in the way a lot more then it helped. At least this I can say for sure on my side of things. I'll not speak for him.

Jewel

tabi said:
Third, relate a personal and real-life situation which involved similar feelings and qualities which you have just described.[/i]

Wow....that really does remind me of my marriage and ending of it. Was it the anger, pride, and self-confidence that ended it? Or the fact that I felt so lonely because the person I was married to was pulling away from me. If either he or I bothered to look up would we have seen that we could have been there together instead of having it end? Admittedly by the time it did end there was no saving it but. I'm pretty sure that our own prides got in the way a lot more then it helped. At least this I can say for sure on my side of things. I'll not speak for him.
Tabi, thank you for sharing this. From the looks of it this work is going to bring you understanding and coming to terms with that past, which can lead to healing. Good luck on your journey through 21 Ways, I think you will benefit from it greatly both on a personal and on tarot levels.

tabi

Jewel said:
Tabi, thank you for sharing this. From the looks of it this work is going to bring you understanding and coming to terms with that past, which can lead to healing. Good luck on your journey through 21 Ways, I think you will benefit from it greatly both on a personal and on tarot levels.

I did the first three and truthfully putting off the fourth because I think it will be a difficult exercise for me not only in terms of what it requires in general but what it will bring out in me. This one was hard, step four is probably going to be much worse.

I did also think eariler when I was doing these that this is probably very similiar to shadow working with the tarot. Especially given that I picked the Devil for my first journey...well you can't say I take the easy way out. *sighs*

Oh and Jewel thanks for the offer of help, I may need it!!!

Jewel

tabi said:
I did the first three and truthfully putting off the fourth because I think it will be a difficult exercise for me not only in terms of what it requires in general but what it will bring out in me. This one was hard, step four is probably going to be much worse.

I did also think eariler when I was doing these that this is probably very similiar to shadow working with the tarot. Especially given that I picked the Devil for my first journey...well you can't say I take the easy way out. *sighs*

Oh and Jewel thanks for the offer of help, I may need it!!!
Don't overthink Step 4. Just start out with "once upon a time" and do automatic writting from there. Let things flow don't plan them.

I have found 21 Ways to be a manner of Shadow work actually. I did my apprentice steps with the Star, and am doing the Adept level with the Moon. Both of them have made me face my shadow, so yes I believe your chosen card will also take you on this path. Come to think of it, I think all of us, regardless of chosen card, have pretty much ended up facing our shadow, and it has been very healing.

I have actually started doing 21 Ways again, as a manner of teaching a couple of friends of mine tarot, and my chosen card is the 9 of Swords ... in the first 3 steps (which is what we have done) I definetly have come face to face with a different part of my shadow self. I think it will be grueling, but since I know how this work can transform me I am looking forward to seeing it through so I can reap the rewards and integrate one more part of myself into me.

SistaSpirit

Step Three: RWS The Emperor

.1. It's a barren enviroment, with the exception of the water there isn't any sign of life. Except the Emperor. He looks as unyielding and unapproachable as the environment. He dosen't look happy or unhappy, he looks alone and loveless

2. I don't really like it here. This place is desolate and lifeless. My throne is hard and uncomfortable but I AM THE EMPEROR, I must not appear weak I must be strong and forceful so that they will obey me. This is a lot of responsibility, keeping the peace and keeping everyone safe. I have to make important decisions, on my word people, will die. There is no time for fun and games.

3. As a divorced mother with a teenage son, I had to provide a home and security. I had to make him feel safe and confident that I knew what I was doing. He had to believe and trust in me. I had to make decisions sometimes that he didn't like but because he trusted me he eventually accepted them.

WhiteRaven

Step Three: Llewellyn Tarot ~ The Star (Branwen)

Step Three:

Part One:

"The wonder of it all" comes to mind instantly when I look at this card...Wonderment, surprise, wanting, protective of "self" in the sense that the woman covers her heart chakra with her left hand.

The environment of the card is a peaceful one. Airy even. Small breeze..just a small chill in the air. A cawing of one, single bird in the air. Dawn shedding just enough light to see. Stars glittering in the sky. A peaceful spot.

Part Two:

Oh, I want him to come close to me, but I feel a little anxiety about it. I wonder if he will attack me instead of just perching himself on my arm. Such a delicate creature to be out so late and by itself. Alas, I am too though. But this spot is so peaceful and I can gather my thoughts here. The slow motion of the water calms me and helps me to forget some things, and remember others. The stars that shine in the dark sky always make me wonder. Wonder what it would be like to have such peace all of the time.

Part Three:

Before moving out west, I used to always go to water when I was upset and needed to calm down and think about things. There was one place in particular that I used to go when I was a kid. It was off a main road and I would have to crawl down some rocks to get to the river side. There were trees and grass there and large rocks situated in the water where I could sit on if I chose to. I went there to be by myself to find some sense in whatever was really bothering me at the time. This practice of mine continued and still does, when I can. I have always been drawn to water. Such a soothing feeling I get when I just sit and watch..sometimes walk around in it. I have not done this in a long time. Other than going to the Rockies once or twice a year, there is no real water to do this here. There is a river that runs through the city here, but it's dirty and really not pleasant to sit by. Water heals the soul.

superfrogsavestokyo

Step THREE

Deviant Moon Tarot ~ 7 of Cups

3-1)The conscious artist seems to be a little anxious, yet numb. His subconscious side seem to be confident and actually doing the painting. It's like the artist is yielding to his subconscious because he's not too confident as himself. He's looking at the seven cups for inspiration, but he won't know the outcome until the painting is completed. His paint dipped handprints on the wall makes me think of the past frustration and desperation, creatively. There's also a hit in compulsion that the artist gets pleasure from that levels out the anxiety. Maybe a type of obsession and emotional madness.

3-2) The part of me that's conscious is feeling anxious, and I hope that my subconscious mind can help my painting come to life. The 7 cups reminds me of the different possibilities I have to reach my creative goal. My subconscious is a little cocky and confident that it will create a masterpiece. It's created wonderful painting before, as evidenced by the three paintings on the wall. Even though the process worries me, I get a pleasure from the gamble. I feel that when you combine the subconscious and the concious mind together the feeling turns into delusion. My conscious part is staring at the cups while my subconscious isn't rendering the cups. I feel like this maybe all in folly and a lost cause. I'm disregarding my assistent because I can't see her emotionally either. All that matters is my obsession. Even though people can point to my handprints on the wall as evidence as my madness, I don't listen and continue to follow my own lonely path.

3-3) I've felt very anxious creatively whenever I have to prepare something that's to be shown by the public. I dislike it when people ask to see my sketches, and when they see it, they criticize it. Often I felt that I just have to let my imagination have fun and not to let others discourage me. This happens to me when I have a creative writing assignment. However, there was one time where my mother read something that I've wrote, and asked if I had the book. She didn't believe me when I said that I'd written the short chapter, but I got a nice rush of pleasure when she said that. I also got the same rush after completing a short game for a class. I don't speak well in front of others, so it's difficult for me to explain my passions without sounding crazy.

moonlitkim

Step Three

Step Three - King of Wands - Deviant Moon Tarot

1. Assurance, excitement, happiness, guiding force, leadership

2. I am leading my children through a barren land. They would never find their way on their own, I am the one who can guide them through the emptiness. They are bubbling over with excitement, frequently asking questions and stopping to point at interesting things. These interruptions do not annoy me, but please me. I am glad they are so inquisitive, and are learning from me. I know this path well, and there is no reason why we shouldn't reach our destination, with no interruptions. They are happy, and I am happy. We are on a grand journey together, and it will be meaningful for us all.

3. This is true of my life right now. I am the one guiding my children through life, teaching them what they need to know and I'm glad they are learning from my experiences. I know that everything will turn out well in the end. I am confident in my parenting abilities, and in showing them the proper paths through the wilderness.

~MoonlitKim

Canopicdoll

Step 3 - XI Justice - Legacy of the Divine

1. Outside the window in the background appears dark and misty. However, the room is brightly lit, by 2 what looks like magical torches. The scale in the middle is not tilted anyway, symbolising balanced. The 2 women are wearing helmets that covers the eyes. They both have 1 arm on the scale and facing away from each other. The atmosphere is one of clarity and balance.

2. I am standing on the left side, with my left hand on the scale. My force is counter balanced by the other woman on my left. I am wearing a helmet that covers my eyes and I can't see. I can only judge you based on your actions and pass my verdict base upon the code of laws written in the scrolls I hold.

I am standing on the right side, with my right arm on the scale. My force is counter balanced by the other woman on the right. I am wearing a helmet that covers my eyes and I can't see. I hand out rewards/punishment based on your actions. The sword in my hand signify that power.

Together we reward without giving praises, punish without prejudice.

3. I was having a hard time relating to a situation relating to this card. Then a week back I was just lazing in front of the tv and there was this show I watched just to pass time.

In the show a guy scored and A for his exams. However in the past his results were terrible. He also had a bad history of being a nuisance in class and cheating. This time round he really did put his heart and soul into the exam. His teacher was so sure that he cheated since one copy of the exam paper went missing, and without hearing his explanation decided to expel him.

In actual fact the exam paper was blown away by the wind and his classmates picked it up but decided not to surrender it nor look at it. They all felt it was very unfair that this person is going to get expelled but owning up might mean they will get into trouble themselves. In the end Justice prevailed and they confessed the whole incident. A retest was given and the guy still got an A for it.

Moral: This card reminds us not to judge a person by his past and that justice will always prevail in the end, and you'll be rewarded for your labour.

rhombchick

Step Three - Nine of Pentacles - Gilded Tarot

3 - 1) It is hard to determine what this lady is feeling or thinking. She doesn't look overly happy, nor does she look upset. She looks at peace, very calm. With the hawk on her hand she seems almost powerful but at the same time humbled that such a creature would let her handle it. The whole garden looks very serene and like it's a nice place to be. The bird on her hand looks calm and trusting, patiently waiting for his cap to be removed.

3 - 2) It is hard for me to determain exactly what I am feeling, or thinking even. I don't think I am overly happy, but I don't feel upset either. I am at peace with myself and my surroundings. I do feel kind of powerful but at the same time completely humbled because I have a creature as madjestical as a hawk sitting on my hand, completely trusting me. The hawk is sitting patiently waiting for me to take of his cap so that he may fly away.

3 - 3) It's hard for me to remember when I last felt at peace or peaceful, I guess when I am lying in bed, waiting for my son to fully fall back asleep after waking from a nightmare, I feel calm. I look at his beautiful sleeping self and I feel almost powerful that I was able to bring him into the world. I also feel so humbled that he has such complete trust in me, waiting for me to teach him about the world before letting him fly free.