Ancient Italian Tarot

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
I love the Bologna, but what are those silly dots down the side of each card? Really no need...
Stains?

HearthCricket

I blame this thread, too! I now have a backup Ancient Italian on its way to me. It has always been my favourite of the historical decks and the idea of having one and getting it all grubby with love and reading it to pieces excites me out of my mind! I have a backup Noblet and IJJ Swiss that gets the same treatment, among other decks. But the Ancient Italian has everything I want with that beautiful old look that just makes you sink into it. No distractions. One of the nicest historical reprints, IMO.

Cerulean

I like the 18O6-1811 Neoclassical di Gumppenberg

Out of Milan, with the layout more Latin-suited-some might feel it's too Empire. The earlier Lo Scarabeo format was bright yellow deck with a tiny motif in back and a smaller playing card size.

The Ancient is more artsy-craftsman bold in
coloration and feel to me..

faunabay

I've done a couple readings with my Classical and they have just come out wonderfully. I'm finding there's something about these decks that open up my intuition even more. (shrug)

And I love the little humor touches here and there. I got the moon in one reading and that little lobster that sits on the plate made perfect sense! LOL

Before I buy the Ancient Italian from someone on ebay I'm seeing if one of my local metaphysical stores can get it for me. That and the Tarot of the Master. LOL The owner is a friend, so I'd like to give her my business.

Le Fanu

sravana said:

No, look closely at the edges. On the Scarabeo border, there are 4 or 5 dots down the side. A decorative touch which is totally pointless...

Im sure it isn't just mine...

Le Fanu

No it isn't.. It is a reprint of the Dotti... the "Grand Dotti" as I think it is called. I have it.

It is a bit like the Meneghello Soprafino / Scarabeo Classical Tarot, but just not quite as accomplished in the draughtsmanship! The anatomy (to my eyes) is just not quite right in a few cards.

But it is a lovely historical deck and worth having...