5 decks to use for a year

AJ

Julia Turk (navigators of the Mystic SEA) was at this spring's PNW tarot conference

Greenwood
Songs For The Journey Home
Thoth
Llewellyn

Margaret Peterson or Roots of Asia.

Scarlet Woodland

Aaaagh! Okay... so the definite three would be:

1) Druidcraft
2)Tarot of Vampyres
3) Wild Unknown

but how on earth to decide on the other two. I think I'd need a really bright, colourful one in there to cheer me up on the bad days... that could be the Animism, Chrysalis or the Ellis... and could I live without the Halloween if I have the TOV with me?

What's missing for spot five then? Am surprised to find I could live without the Mary-El and PCS Centennial but do need something serious and either traditional or richly esoteric in there. I could finally get stuck in with the Thoth or the Haindl, or even go with the Chosson Marseilles. Hmmm. Okay, shall wince and choose:

4) Animism
5) Haindl

I think... :D (Rushes off to hug all the others)

gregory

Not the Charmed one?
Not if there are only 5 slots. Much as I love it. But I just thought - I would HAVE to take my own, or I would hurt its little feelings - so there it is :D

JylliM

BONEFIRE and ROSETTA. Love them both.

I'd have to take GRANNY JONES, as I've just got her and am trying to knock her into shape (as in make her speak sense to me!).

Geez, only two more? That's so hard!

I really want to take my Moore/Fell Steampunk but I'm going to have to be brutal and leave it behind so I can take a Marseille - ANCIENT ITALIAN - and something pretty - tosses a coin between The Alice Tarot and Joie de Vivre...The ALICE it is!

ETA Changed my mind. Alice, you stay home, I'm taking JOIE DE VIVRE!

Barleywine

Of the decks I already own (not the other hundred or more I want to buy), it would be:

Thoth
Albano-Waite
Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Fournier TdM
Dame Fortune's Wheel

But if given the choice, I would bump one of the last three and replace it with the Gilded Reverie Lenormand.

mrpants

Noblet
Vandenborre
Subirachs
Minotarot
Holy Light

Actually this might make a great challenge for the rest of the year!

Farzon

Let's see ...

1. The Fountain Tarot
One of my to go decks. Could read it with my eyes closed (not really).

2. The Wild Unknown
See above.

3. The Mary-El
For those deep meditative readings.

4. The Deviant Moon
I love it's nearly cute sense of weirdness. And it was one of my first decks.

5. The Tyldwick Tarot
Because I use it way too rarely. And because it would remind me of civilization.

Then I would limit the amount of my underwear to take along (who needs that on a lonely island) to smuggle in the rest of my collection! [emoji16]

SarahJoy

Years ago, in the early days of the Internet, I went to France for the summer with only three books in English. I can't tell you how many times I re-read those books. (I also took only a handful of CDs -- I still know all those songs by heart.)

With that in mind, I want decks that are worth study, a comfort deck, and a deck I think might be my new bestie.

For study:
1) Pierre Madenie Marseille
2) Smith-Waite Centennial
3) Thoth

For comfort:
4) Barbara Moore's Steampunk
This was the first deck I connected with. It's not the best in my collection, but it's an old friend.

Potential bestie:
Here's where it gets tricky. I'm immediately drawn to the Prisma Visions and the Fountain. The Linesrider is quite nice. Maybe the Ellis?

5) Fountain Tarot. I think it's got a lot to offer, if I just took some time with it. Plus, the illustrations are beautiful, even outside the Tarot framework.
*If it's an end of the world situation, you bet your pants I'm taking my Daniloff. But if I'm coming back to my collection, I prefer not to put it through the wear and tear off this hypothetical scenario.

Now, if I'm allowed to cheat a little, I'd also bring
6) a Dondorf Lenormand

And now it's time to go listen to Jewel's debut album, and get nostalgic.

Dan S

I would have to choose 5 decks that have companion books that I need to read/reread. They would probably be:

1. CBD Tarot de Marseille + "Tarot: The Open Reading"

2. Thoth Tarot + Duquette's "Understanding the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot", Snuffin's "The Thoth Companion", and Banzhaf's "The Crowley Tarot Handbook"

3. Bohemian Gothic Tarot + Guidebook

4. Tarot of the Holy Light + "Tarot of the Holy Light: A Continental Esoteric Tarot"

5. Journey Into Egypt + "Journey Into Egypt Guidebook" & "Journey Into Egypt Workbook"

FLizarraga

Can't. Do. This....

Me. Neither. ;)

OK. Were I forced to do this (and hopefully I won't , ever, because I cherish variety. Nay. I MUST have it) I am 100% sure that I would keep these four decks.

* Thoth
* Centennial PCS
* Visconti Sforza (probably the Fabbri edition, with my favorite, Judas-chomping Devil)
* My workhorse, Kat Black's Golden Tarot

The fifth deck is a LOT more problematic.... :bugeyed: