Tarot recommendation for an Oracle-reader

CharlotteK

Tarots I have that feel just as much oracle-like are Osho Zen, Waking the Wild Spirit (OOP so could be hard or expensive to get), Voyager, Tarot of the Sidhe, Revised William Blake, Tarot of the Spirit, and, strangely the Animal Totem Tarot (which although has an excellent book reads extremely expressively).
Looked critically at my collection again, and I would also add to the above Ceccoli and Margarete Peterson decks.

The Linestrider is also a possibility. It has a lot of animal based images, which are fairly minimalist but beautiful and meaning can easily be drawn out of them without needing to know the Tarot system.

JylliM

Were you thinking of the Wild Unknown, Le Fanu?

Oh no, I see it's been mentioned..

Le Fanu

Were you thinking of the Wild Unknown, Le Fanu?
I think it's a little sparse to be honest, plus I have grown a little tired of it (sorry to fans) and now find it a little insubstantial in terms of imagery. There are so many great recommendations here, but I have reservations about some - much as I like them; reservations in terms of readability for someone who is new to tarot. The Peterson is too abstract. The 1001 Nights is a great one - and I have spares galore of that one and it is an exquisite deck and easily readable IMO. I also love the Ceccoli, but it's a bit too feminine for him.

I'm leaning more towards the Japaridze to be honest; it's contemporary, intuitive, skilled artwork, rich-but-not-too-rich in symbolism and the book, should he want to refer to it, is very attractive to consult.

zhadee

LeFanu, what do you think of the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburgh?

Luna's Crone

THE GOOD TAROT!!!!!!!!

I used it for the first time today cuz colette explained how to use it. You read the cards like tarot cards and if you want, you can use the guide book as the oracle part.

First I read the cards as tarot. Wrote that up and then I went back and quoted from the book for each card. it was freakin amazing. Its good for me because tarot doesn't move me spiritually at all, its not a spiritual thing, but this can be if you want it to.

so you can use it Tarot/Oracle or Oracle/Tarot. I don't recommend the latter use, because it may influence your tarot reading.

CharlotteK

I'm leaning more towards the Japaridze to be honest; it's contemporary, intuitive, skilled artwork, rich-but-not-too-rich in symbolism and the book, should he want to refer to it, is very attractive to consult.

It's a gorgeous deck. Original paintings. Bit surreal but not too abstract. Requires a bit of stretch but not so much you end up in knots. And what's not to like about all those bats?! Sounds like a winner :)

Le Fanu

LeFanu, what do you think of the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburgh?
I like it very much but I think it´s too explicitly RWS - I was looking for something with a bit of a different twist.

Nemia

Margarethe Petersen's art is so expressive and open, especially in the minors, that I find it difficult to read - it's too much like an oracle for me. Whether an experienced oracle reader would agree, hm, I don't know.

The Idiosyncradeck (oop now) comes with an oracle and that could be another option: find an oracle and tarot deck that work together seamlessly.

Emily

What about the Deva Tarot? It has a good largish LWB with it, doesn't go over the top with explanations, it does have keywords on the cards but lends itself to being read intuitively. Also if he didn't like the fifth suite he could take it out.

I'd also recommend the Liber T if he didn't want to go the RWS route. :)

Tea&Temperance

I have to agree that the Wild Unknown, Mary-el, Wooden Tarot would be good or other similar decks that aren't RWS clones. I have to say that when I first got the WU I found that the few keywords in the LWB allowed me to read a lot more intuitively and break out of the RWS mold.
Maybe it's cause I only recently acquired the Mary-el but I feel that if he wanted, your friend could trim the deck borders and just read the pictures intuitively.