Visconti - anyone interested in studying in?

Enheduanna

I had recently recieved the Visconti deck as a gift for my birthday. I am interested in participating in ths study group also. Though, I am also new to the community and I am unsure how this works. But yeah, I'm deffinatly interested in studying this deck. This will be fun, I can tell, and a good way for me to break my new deck in!!

Sheri

Hi everyone - I finally got my deck today!!! WOW was it worth the wait!

Anyway, I am ready to jump in on this study group now that I have something to study! :)

Originally posted by Dancing Bear:
I have no idea whether there are any intentions..to study the pips . but i would like to know what these letters are on the banners..

2 of cups is obvious AMOR ~ MVO i know Amor means love ...what would MVO represent?

Also the other cards.
4 of pentacles looks like ABON ~ DROYR
3 of swords looks like ABM ~DROVF
4 of swords looks like ABOL ~ DROYR
5 of Pentacles has two versions i can see ABON~ DROVR & AMN ~DROVR

In the book on the first page of pips, Ace of wands it says is is the Visconti motto " A Just Right" and it looks like ABM ~ DROYR

Which one is correct and are there a couple of versions here.. and if there are variations would anyone know what they represent?

I have been looking around to try to find out some clues. The closest I found was this website:

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards32.htm

The person has compiled alot of historical information on the cards, who painted them, etc. I thought was very interesting. The page I have provided the link for is actually the page that discusses the words that appear on the cards.

valeria

Dancing Bear

Thanks for that valeria

It helped a bit, its funny though my book that came with the decks says the motto means, " a Just right" and yet the link says it means. '"By legitimate right" I guess they are similar in meaning but yet are different.. I dont think i will really know until i learn the language also LOL!!

and a HUGE WOO HOO!! you got your cards.. I am so glad...they are worth the wait arent they ;)
I am looking forward to this study..

DB xxx

Ross G Caldwell

This is a great thread. The Visconti-Sforza deck is really worth studying.

"A bon droit" is still used in French today - it means "with good right". That is, it is something correctly presumed, although not necessarily stated explicitly.

Francesco Petrarch suggested this motto for Gian Galeazzo Visconti when he was Count of Pavia. It would seem to mean that Gian Galeazzo's presumption of ruling Milan (which his uncle at that time held) was "with good right". Gian Galeazzo was the most direct in line for the succession, and would betray his uncle Bernabo to achieve domination of all of the Visconti lands in 1385.

"A bon droyt" etc. are just different ways of spelling it. In gothic writing, it is easier to see a "y" than an "i" before a "t".

"Amor myo" can be modernized to "amor mio", and means "my love". So the Two of Cups in the Visconti-Sforza deck already meant Love!

Little Baron

Is there a VS that does not have LoS titles on. Other than the Cary Yale? Different printing maybe?

LB

Ross G Caldwell

LittleBuddha said:
Is there a VS that does not have LoS titles on. Other than the Cary Yale? Different printing maybe?

LB

I think there are three facsimile editions still in print, which are full-sized and don't have any borders or titles or additions of any kind.

US Games (also makes the only Cary Yale)
Dal Negro
Il Meneghello

They are not easy to handle though! They are more for study - even playing with them must have been a chore. Not for hard-core gamblers or tarot readers.

Maybe there will be a movement to cut off the borders of the Lo Scarabeo cards, like with the Thoth?

Little Baron

Ross G Caldwell said:
Maybe there will be a movement to cut off the borders of the Lo Scarabeo cards, like with the Thoth?

You know me! I'll start it.

But are the majors hard to distinguish without any titles? My Cary Yale is very difficult to tell the cards apart.

LB

le pendu

The Cary-Yale Visconti is hard because it has cards that really don't match the "traditional" 22 trumps. The Visconti-Sforza is much easier to tell the difference without titles. I LOVE that there are no titles or numbers, let's me connect completely with the imagery.

Il Meneghello also makes a "Standard" sized Visconti-Sforza, I have it and love it, much easier to handle than the US Games or other large versions. I'm pretty sure I got mine from Tarot Garden.

Dancing Bear

Ross G Caldwell said:
This is a great thread. The Visconti-Sforza deck is really worth studying.

"A bon droit" is still used in French today - it means "with good right". That is, it is something correctly presumed, although not necessarily stated explicitly.

Francesco Petrarch suggested this motto for Gian Galeazzo Visconti when he was Count of Pavia. It would seem to mean that Gian Galeazzo's presumption of ruling Milan (which his uncle at that time held) was "with good right". Gian Galeazzo was the most direct in line for the succession, and would betray his uncle Bernabo to achieve domination of all of the Visconti lands in 1385.

"A bon droyt" etc. are just different ways of spelling it. In gothic writing, it is easier to see a "y" than an "i" before a "t".

"Amor myo" can be modernized to "amor mio", and means "my love". So the Two of Cups in the Visconti-Sforza deck already meant Love!

Thankyou so much for unscrambling the confusion..i was wondering whether they had actually spelt some of them differently or it was my eyes LOL!!
I know now it wasnt my eyes .. I was wearing my glasses LOL!!
Thanks again!!

Dancing Bear

LittleBuddha said:
You know me! I'll start it.

But are the majors hard to distinguish without any titles? My Cary Yale is very difficult to tell the cards apart.

LB

you are brave! I dont know whether i could bring myself to do it LOL!