undressing of a salad

sagitarian

I've been trying to get some of the more over looked cards out there for discussion and view points. These are cards that aren't picked as favorites or least favorites, their just kinda there, and don't get much attention.

What do you all think of the faery card UnDressing of a Salad? What is it's message, what has it spoken of to you? What are those faeries up to anyways?

Laura Borealis

To me, they look like they are playing a game. Faery hackysack :D -- or a juggling and balancing game. They look like they are calmly concentrating on balancing the spheres.

They also put me in mind of performers who can make balls run all over their hands, arms and shoulders without dropping them. Whenever I see someone who can do that, my jaw drops in amazement! Some of the background figures are looking on with amusement, but the faery holding one ball in his hand looks irritated, like he wants to learn how to do it, but hasn't practiced enough and is envious.

This card also reminds of the two of pentacles in RWS type decks. So, balance, juggling different aspects of your life, juggling choices, successful multi-tasking. Learning how to balance takes time and focus, but approaching it in the spirit of a game helps.

I must confess, the name of the card doesn't have much meaning for me, other than making me smile at the absurdity of it! :D

dobro

"They look like they are calmly concentrating on balancing the spheres."

Yup. And what Jesa adds to this is: and when it's really difficult or challenging to balance the spheres as well.

dolphinprincess

Great thread Sagitarian - I *just* pulled this card!!!

It reminds me of a cross between Temperance and the 2 of Pentacles.... Juggling and Balance! But, as the Faeries often do - they present it in a much more playful and fun way!!!

Ruby Red Slippers

laura_borealis said:
I must confess, the name of the card doesn't have much meaning for me, other than making me smile at the absurdity of it! :D [/B]

Funny you would say that! Being a lover of salad I draw my meaning from the cards' name. Have you ever tried to take salad dressing OFF a salad???? LOL - ABSURD! :D

One meaning for this card is that while it may seem easier to go back and change the past, it really cannot be done. The only method to use when this "thought of action" comes to mind is to stand there like the Faery and hold it all in, until the thought passes.

Another meaning, for me, is those who try to "control" everything in their lives. They become such master manipulators that it must be exhausting and tedious to keep all it all going as waking up everyday and clearing "all of the dressing" off a salad"

Sometimes it feels like you just have "so many things" going on in your life that all you have time for is Juggling. There is no "balance". Juggling vs. Balance

All of the little menacing faces remind us that this is not a position which can last indefinitely.....something will have to give.....

I also like the look on the pixie's face on the left. To me it looks like he's saying, "how stupid of you to "balance all of those balls, just take it in hand and walk on..." :)

Just a few toughts......

Laura Borealis

Ruby Red Slippers said:
Funny you would say that! Being a lover of salad I draw my meaning from the cards' name. Have you ever tried to take salad dressing OFF a salad???? LOL - ABSURD! :D

One meaning for this card is that while it may seem easier to go back and change the past, it really cannot be done.

OH! *light bulb goes on* This is great stuff! That adds much more depth of meaning to this card for me. :)

I also like the look on the pixie's face on the left. To me it looks like he's saying, "how stupid of you to "balance all of those balls, just take it in hand and walk on..." :)

*hee* I hadn't thought about it from that point of view, but yes, that's the flip side of my interpretation, and a wonderful lesson for me. :D

13thFaeChylde

It's a contradiction of a card, coming from the title...
UnDressing of a Salad
It can be either/or or both

While there are many balls to balance and many faeries going in many different directions, the key word is balance and remain calm. I think they look poised to pounce in any direction, should the balls go helter/skelter.

Alissa

This is a card I think I have never ever gotten. Never in a daily draw, dream draw, or spread. I know it of course, but I'm so foreign to it, it's like another language.

However, I totally echo laura's ah-ha! moment reading RubyRedSlippers' words, "Have you ever tried to take salad dressing OFF a salad???? LOL - ABSURD!"

I had never thought of the obvious, and yes, how very Fae and enlightening for this card! I also can see the 2 Pentacles/Temperance energy that others have mentioned, neat!

Wisp Wings

I have always felt this an equal to the two of pentacles. I agree with all that everyone else has said on this card and I think we've got it fairly well defined. To add a bit, here is some of my thoughts I've held for this card. Of course it all depends on what aspects its wanting to emphasize at the moment. Yes, this is all about controlled balance and hopefully staying in the ability to do so and be calm.

If you think of this as a concert with an orchestra. They perform like a fine oiled machine. This card is about precision as well. I remember the name of this card from Brian was "The Dressing of a Salad" and when Jesa worked with it, it became "The Undressing of a Salad". I wonder if the Fae were attempting to show what we would think of perhap a reverse card situation of Brian's view of it. Back to the orchestra, image they are coming to your city and the time that they are to perform there is a nasty flu going around and several of the members were hit with it. Rather than cancelling they rush in people of different skill levels to fill in for those sick. This is last minute and there is no time to do a run through of the music. How balanced do you think the orchestra would be? A measure or two behind, off-key....bad news. You may try covering up, but a good ear would discern it and yuck. Thus your undressing of the salad lol.

Thing of the busy three ring circus. This card makes me see this too. All three rings know exactly their routine and the timing of it in regards to the other rings. As excited as a child (and adults) may be, you cannot view all three rings at the same time to any degree of satisfaction and with fully taking it what is being done. Look at how this situation speaks of balance. Balance of each performer and the viewer having to balance watching one ring and changing to view a different ring as trying not to miss much. Its hard to keep calm and balance with excess, (a lesson this card is telling). I feel this is where the undressing is coming in. Too much and it says, lets undress this a bit, after all even with jugglers there is a point where there is too much in the air to keep up with maintaining the juggling.

Lastly if you cook, bake, or work with spices and herbs and as this card reflects work to make a perfect salad, you want to orchestrate a complimentary blend. You do not want one to be over-powering as it tilts the balance. Try removing that! Start with a different salad, sure you can toss a bunch of greens in and other salad fixings, toss on some bottled dressing and enjoy it. However if you have a fresh made dressing with fresh herbs and a variety of ingredients for the salad itself, if blended with the right balance it is a masterpiece! Even if you aren't of chef material you know the difference of a fast food salad and then some of the up-scale places how unique some of these places their salads are. Yum! Oh by the way, I once ordered a salad with one dressing and it was the wrong one, so sent it back. Guess what?! This waitress attempted to "undress the salad" LOL. It was most unsuccessful! We called to a different waitress other than our own and I eventually had a salad that I had ordered. Bet the owner had a talk with the first waitress. Makes for bad business, I haven't been back.

FourLeafClover

Strangely, I relate to the poor, cranky, spiky-faced dude in the background. He's left out and in an effing bad mood about it. I don't blame him for being snarky. Maybe he wouldn't be so bad if the others would teach him to balance too, instead of just showing off.
...yeah, I'm in underdog mode right now. Ah, well. Backing underdog faeries probably pays off in strange ways. *laughs*