Tarot Books For Beginners?

Sulis

I really don't like Joan Bunning's book at all but that's because it's way teaching just didn't work for me (although it does for many people). I got it when I first started learning tarot and worked my way through the whole thing learning her keywords... The thing is she doesn't give an explanation as to how she got the keywords and so there is no system apart from learning parrot fashion keywords. It took me an absolute age to unlearn those keywords.

I like books that show you how to actually read the symbolism, the numbers and the elements on the cards rather than just giving you a bunch of meanings.
A good book that shows you how to come up with meanings rather than learning the meanings provided by the book author is The Complete Tarot Reader by Teresa Michelsen (click)
Another good one that will show you how to read rather than how to remember keywords is 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary K Greer (click).
There's even a study group for the Mary Greer book here on Aeclectic: Click here.

firecatpickles

My favorite two books are Eileen Connolly's Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice and Joseph Maxwell's The Tarot. They are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of philosophy and practice. Maybe that's why I like them both so much. They also have tarot history components in their books from different points-of-view.

Both of them are available from amazon.com for pretty cheap, though I am not sure about shipping to your area.

sammiedoll

sammiedoll, that's OK because that's the deck that I have.

ha ha, I'd suggest that book then to get. It has Traditional points about the card, the modern meaning, and the reverse meaning.

cybercat

Easy Tarot Guide is a great book. Set up as a workbook. Many classes have used it for years.

natalie8

Wow, so many great choices. I have a lot of homework to do.

One important point is that we all learn in our own style and feel comfortable with different types of media and lessons.

The sad part is the limited choice here.

ann823

One important point is that we all learn in our own style and feel comfortable with different types of media and lessons.

The sad part is the limited choice here.

How someone learns best is unique to each individual, far more than most people realize. Keep trying different things and you'll find your way.
The Book Depository ships to many countries but I'm not sure if it ships to yours-this link doesn't have Dubai but it does have the United Arab Emirates.

http://www.bookdepository.com/help/topic/HelpId/3/Which-countries-do-you-deliver-to#helpContent

WillowRose

For anyone who owns the Rider Waite deck, the books by Paul Fenton Smith are amazing, The Tarot Revealed is proberbly my favorite.

natalie8

Thanks WR. I'll have a look for that one.

Kreative-Dragon

As funny as it sounds, I loved The Idiots Guide to Tarot. Easy explanations, tonnes of entertaining info, and lots of training and experiments to use.

I love it, and think it's great, but that 21 ways... gotta find that one.

natalie8

LOL, ya Dummies' and Idiots' guides are always good.