Reference/Study Materials for Numerolgoy in Tarot

treedog

Maybe we're always talking numbers with Tarot, but as a system itself I know almost nothing about Numerolgy. Like many things, Astrology included, I've had preconceived ideas about that stuff. Such arrogance!

Now the tarots are taking me deeper and deeper. Reading Dion Fortune is increasing my interest and giving me a place to hook in on numbers. And then there's this whole thing called "Numerology." What's that?

How do folks come to a better understanding about numbers, and are there some reference materials you would recommend?

treedog.

rwcarter

I only know of one book that deals with both numerology and tarot and info on the book can be found in this post in the forum index.

I have lots of other books on numerology though.

treedog

I only know of one book that deals with both numerology and tarot and info on the book can be found in this post in the forum index.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Numerology: Key to the Tarot by Konraad, Sandor.

While checking it out on Abe Books, I found another that looked really interesting:

Numerology and The Divine Triangle by Javane, Faith and Bunker, Dusty. ISBN: 9780914918103. In the description it talks about numbers in the Tarot. I ordered a used copy and will post a comment.

tarotbear

I do want to say - not that I am an expert in any sense of the word - that Numerology and Tarot Numerology are slightly different branches from each other, and there are different systems and interpretations within each.

But it's a lot of FUN! :thumbsup:

treedog

I do want to say - not that I am an expert in any sense of the word - that Numerology and Tarot Numerology are slightly different branches from each other, and there are different systems and interpretations within each.

Thanks, TarotBear. That's my uneducated sense of it at the moment. And I don't, at this time, want to overwhelm myself with yet another exhaustive list of "meanings," especially if they don't have direct relevance to Tarot.

What, in your opinion, is a good way to study/understand that branch of Numerology that's connected with Tarot (Qabalah?)?

Rev_Vesta

Tarot and Numerology

There are so many references inregards to this...

One thing I can recommend... Get a Notebook or a pad that you can file and practice readings in.......

Start with the Major Arcana........
and a numerology reference look at 0 the Fool and all the things 0 could mean eg The Void
circle (Continuity) Wholeness........Eternity
No more than 4-5 key words is normally enough ......

1 The Magician- New beginnings

etc.. going through each card and each number as individuals until the Major Arcana is complete....

Then start with the one suit eg Swords Intellect, conflict then add the numerology associations to each card. that way you get a complete picture in your Tarot book......

I did find what helped me is creating a Tarot and Numerolgy Meditation that I put on an audio file to relisten to quietly.......

Have fun with it and do things slowly so as not to overwhelm self with so much information....

take care...

Zephyros

Thanks, TarotBear. That's my uneducated sense of it at the moment. And I don't, at this time, want to overwhelm myself with yet another exhaustive list of "meanings," especially if they don't have direct relevance to Tarot.

What, in your opinion, is a good way to study/understand that branch of Numerology that's connected with Tarot (Qabalah?)?

If you study Qabalah in conjunction with Tarot, it'll come to you in time, as Qabalah is essentially Pythagorean numerology glorified. From a cursory look at the Wikipedia article, it is striking how common interpretations of the single-digit numbers correlate to philosophies behind the Sephiroth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

You're already reading Dion Fortune's book, I also recommend Robert Wang's book. Since you seem to be in a quandary about which direction to take, based on this and other posts, I can only recommend the way I study it. I began with DuQuette's Chicken Qabalah, studying it (actually paraphrasing practically the whole thing in my notebook) then doing the same with Wang (which I found interesting, but rather dry) and Fortune. After I had what seemed to be a good base, I began an in-depth study of the Thoth with the Book of Thoth. Going slowly, making sure I don't skip anything until I understand it, I analyze the path's place on the Tree, symbols, parallel paths, other paths that have significance to it, opening and closing Sephiroth, the meaning of the Hebrew letter, astrological attribution, initiatory significance and (unique to the Thoth) Thelemic connection (including what cross references I can find in Crowley's corpus).

I don't even study astrology per se, since it doesn't interest me that much, but the stories behind the signs and planets. I pick up things like rulers and exalters as I go along, as they make very interesting connections between the paths and Sephiroth. Since everything is interconnected, this actually makes the whole thing easier.

It's going slowly, sometimes taking a month or more for a single card, but very enjoyable. After about a year and a half of study, I'm at the Hermit. Learn the meanings of the letters first, basic Sephirotic definitions and take it from there. Don't even try to memorize things; going card by card and path and using the same set of tools over and over, you'll find that in time you remember things of your own accord. Just don't be impatient, do it for its own sake and you'll be fine. My advantage is that I work as a graveyard shift security guard, so I have the luxury or spending about three to four hours a day on the whole thing (any more and my brain turns to mush) but taking it on your own time, you'll be able to reach great results nonetheless.

treedog

...One thing I can recommend... Get a Notebook or a pad that you can file and practice readings in.......

Perfect. I just started a notebook but, Duh, it didn't occur to me to make referrences about numbers. I'm so smart, but some days I wonder how I'm able to even feed myself.

Thanks also about the suggestion to go slowly. This business of Tarot has put a new spin on living for me. I feel like I need a hundred years to really investigate it, and unless I can afford some high powered genetics nothing close to that is going to happen :) I've been known to move a little too quickly.