Kindle fire tarot apps

willowfox

I also think it's not true that the app picks the card for you.

However, some apps have a function for shuffling and choosing cards. Although they are not paper, I do not see how this is any different than choosing cards from a paper deck.

***The apps were designed by a human programmer, therefore the program dictates how often etc the cards will appear. The program is not a random thing, it has been programmed, therefore the program does what it was told to do by its designer. The app picks the card for you.

GryffinSong

It all depends on what you believe about tarot, and how you use the cards.

I use tarot, for the most part, as a way to look inwards. It doesn't matter how the cards are chosen. I will get something from them. I buy only the apps that are, literally, an electronic version of a specific deck. For instance, I have the Druid Oracles (animal and plant) as physical cards and as an iPad app. I find that there is no difference whatsoever in my ability to "enter" the card, to meditate on it, to learn and grow from it. In fact, I sometimes prefer the iPad version because the card images are larger, so I can more easily get absorbed in them. In the apps I have, you do not see the card meaning unless you specifically seek it out.

As for random choice, or universe or whatever, guiding the draw ... I don't worry about things like that. If its chance, then chance will work on electronics or paper. If its some power influencing the draw, I figure that influence can work either way as well. To me its a moot point.

I love the ease of use. I love the brightness and size of the images. I love that I can carry around a dozen decks without the bulk of physical decks. I even prefer not having to shuffle by hand. Very few decks are actually both easy to shuffle AND easy to keep in good condition. With an app I have no fears of damaging the cards, and know that its as random as anything else I can do.

I still enjoy using physical cards at times, but I find that I'm using my apps more often than my physical. Unfortunately, the apps are still quite limited in variety. If all my favorite decks were available on my iPad I would keep very few physical decks I think. I'd gain back a lot of space in my deck drawer! LOL

kalliope

***I did not say I hate them at all, I said that apps cannot replace the real thing, the real cards in one's hands, so don't be so rude next time you reply to me or better, don't reply at all if you cannot be civil.

I didn't intend to be rude at all, and nothing I said was written with a mean spirit. I'm actually very surprised to read that the phrase "hated them" seems uncivil to you in that context. I'm genuinely sorry if you took it that way. Maybe that's a result of my friendly inflection not coming through to my written words, or of a difference in humor, and if so, I'll accept my part in that.

When I said you "hated them," that was my attempt to be lighthearted and a bit tongue-in-cheek about your comment that using tarot apps was a "lazy approach" for those looking for "instant answers" with the press of a button. That's a comment of your own that could easily be interpreted as rude. It seemed to imply (although it may not have been your intention) that those of us who sometimes use tarot apps are lazy or that our readings are an "instant," cheap imitation of those done by people using physical cards.

Since the OP asked about using apps, I wanted to offer an alternative viewpoint to yours by saying one can interpret the cards in the same way, and can have readings just as rich whether one's cards are digital or physical. That was my main point, no rudeness meant.

Ace of Stars

***The apps were designed by a human programmer, therefore the program dictates how often etc the cards will appear. The program is not a random thing, it has been programmed, therefore the program does what it was told to do by its designer. The app picks the card for you.

Actually, in the app I help make, all 78 cards are laid out. The seeker can then touch the cards to choose them in which ever way they feel called to. The app does not choose the cards for you.

Lee

Willowfox, I'm curious to know where you got this information. As far as
I know, for those apps where the program generates the cards, it's done by a random generator. The only condition the programmer places on it is that the same card doesn't come up twice in a reading. Other than that, it's completely random, using the capability, which all computers have, to generate random numbers.

The whole point of it is so that the app behaves in all respects like a real deck of cards. For a programmer to do otherwise would be self-defeating, because purchasers would quickly realize there was a pattern to how cards are chosen, and would leave poor reviews on the app store, and few people would buy it.

willowfox

Actually, in the app I help make, all 78 cards are laid out. The seeker can then touch the cards to choose them in which ever way they feel called to. The app does not choose the cards for you.

***I have your app installed and its strange that the same card comes up two or three times in a week, I see no randomness in this.

willowfox

Willowfox, I'm curious to know where you got this information. As far as
I know, for those apps where the program generates the cards, it's done by a random generator. The only condition the programmer places on it is that the same card doesn't come up twice in a reading. Other than that, it's completely random, using the capability, which all computers have, to generate random numbers.

The whole point of it is so that the app behaves in all respects like a real deck of cards. For a programmer to do otherwise would be self-defeating, because purchasers would quickly realize there was a pattern to how cards are chosen, and would leave poor reviews on the app store, and few people would buy it.

***Well, that maybe but I have tested many "supposed" "random apps" and they were not so random as I would have liked, and now I have been playing with the galaxy tarot app and the same card will come up just too often for my liking.

SarahJoy

It all depends on what you believe about tarot, and how you use the cards.

Yes, exactly.

I'm at a stage where I'm studying each card in depth, attempting to move beyond "novice" tarotist. :) For me, tarot apps are terribly useful.

I use Galaxy Tarot Pro on an Android smartphone. When I'm away from home, the app is useful for reminding myself of some of the potential meanings of the card I'm studying at the moment. When I'm not studying a particular card in depth, the "Card of the Day" option is useful as a quick mini-refresher.

When I'm working on my reading skills, the three-card reading in the app is very useful for quickie readings -- again, especially when I'm away from home and away from my decks (waiting for an appointment, for example.)

That said, I would never give up my physical decks, nor would I consider the digital medium a substitute for the physical object. I need the tactile version to touch and squint at and whatnot. I prefer the physical, but I appreciate the digital for its own uses.

Ace of Stars

***I have your app installed and its strange that the same card comes up two or three times in a week, I see no randomness in this.

Maybe you should pay attention to those cards :)

willowfox

Maybe you should pay attention to those cards :)

***Not really, as most of the time these app selected cards have no relevance for me anyway. I will gets the real cards out if I want to know something.