Let's bid a "fond" farewell to Saturn in Gemini!

Minderwiz

Hi AG

BQT is indeed a Biquintile but it is actually 144 degrees (2 quintiles). It is indeed treated by most people as a minor aspect though I must admit to some doubts - more on a theoretical basis than actual experience.

The major aspects represent the 360 degree circle divided by 1 (conjunction), 2 (opposition), 3 (Trine), 4 (Square) and 6 (Sextile) - but clearly the sequence leaves out the division by 5 - the Quintile - John Addey also makes out a good case for the use of the 5th Harmonic in his book Harmonics in Astrology.

I must admit i'ts an area I'd like to follow up on, though my knowledge is rather limited - If anyone has done some work on the quintile series they might like to start a new thread

dadsnook2000

Quintiles

The quintiles, 5th of a circle, make for interesting aspects and are something every well-grounded astrologer should consider. The 5th harmonic or use of quintile aspects in the natal chart points to one's "style" or "personality expression" or "how one chooses to appear to others in terms of manner and actions." This is not something that is easy for those just starting out on their astrological studies -- they need to get planets, aspects, houses down first -- followed by transits and progressions. The inclusion of quintile aspects can sidetrack them from the basics. If any do feel that such a thread could benefit them, that could be done. Others and myself could certainly help in that manner. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

Oh, I would be terribly interested in a thread about quintiles, that would be great if you started one up, Dave....!! What I've read has been very vague and 5 seems like such an obvious number to divide 360 with.
I was wondering what orb is acceptable for quintiles. Generally, there's a generous orb given for the major harmonics (1,2,3,4,6)... I've read that the orb for quintiles should be very tight - no more than one degree, but it doesn't make sense to me that 5 should call for a tighter orb than 6.

(The reason I'm so interested is b/c my final dipositors are in mutual reception and quintiling each other...)

dadsnook2000

Orbs and Quintiles

To isthmus nekoi:
ORBS are simple to establish. A conjunction was often considered to exist by some ancient astrologers to occur when two planets were within one sign (30 degrees). Recently, some have adopted 12 to 15 degrees, while others prefer 8 degrees. I look at it this way -- for starters. Whatever conjunction orb is used, use half of that for the opposition, a third for the trine, a fourth for the square, a fifth for the quintile, a sixth for the sextile. This might end up as 12, 6, 4 (trine), 3 (square), 2 (sextile) or something along those lines. One of the Quintile series might have an orb of 2 1/2 degrees. This approach has the value of being theoretically sound in that whatever number you use to divide the circle (aspect) you also use to relate the orb to that used for the conjunction.
QUINTILE ASPECTS have distinct meanings to me. We have the Conjunction which blends the energy of the two planets involved. The 1/5 aspect (or phase) represents how one attempts to define their personality and lifestyle. The 2/5 aspects shows how one fine tunes and adjusts circumstances to achieve a lifestyle, the personality traits that support it, the props that support it. The 3/5 (counter clockwise from the conjunction) aspect shows how others are brought into, or are used, to support ones approach to life, ones work and goals. The 4/5 aspect suggests how one has achieved their place in the world and will use it to impact others (the payback phase). What is a "lifestyle?" How one uses ones personality, how one dresses, where and how one lives and works. What one seeks to accomplish and to pass on to others, how one involves others. Let me know if this helps. Dave.

AquarianGoddess

Minderwiz,

You're so right, it's 144 degrees!!! I was thinking half instead of double!!

AG

isthmus nekoi

Dave, thanks for the orb explanation! 12/15 seems *very* wide, but in general, it makes sense to start wide and end tight.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by 1/5, 2/5... by 2/5 do you mean a biquintile?

dadsnook2000

Quintile, Bi-Quintile

Yes. I view my aspects in terms of the full-circle phase that the aspect is in -- obviously a first quarter square differs in meaning from a last quarter square. The same for Quintiles; hence the 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 relative to the conjunction. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

Dave, thanks for explaining. ^-^
If the biquintile is 144 degrees, then would 3/5 equal a 216 degree aspect? And 4/5, 288 degrees?
(I'm afraid I only know the bare basics of harmonics...)

mags@Treadwells

DarkElectric said:
Oh Saturn, dear,
No more harsh lessons, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?????????
My learning curve need not be accelerated by a brick upside the head...

Saturn is a scary planet for me. I need to know more about it, and it's influence in order to be less frightened, I guess.

Well, well, well.
We meet again, my dear - quite unintentionally, as usual.

I know Saturn better than any other planet. I can't say I love it, but I'm just very USED to it.

Cometo London and LEARN to bear it all.

And we'll 'ave sooch a larrrrf

xmagsx

dadsnook2000

To isthmus nekoi

Hi, yes the aspects are as you mentioned when considered in a "phase" relationship. Again I stress that an opening phase aspect is different from a closing phase aspect. An opening phase is when the faster moving body is less than 180 degrees ahead of the slower moving body when measured counter-clock-wise, a closing phase is when the measurement from the slower body to the faster body is more than 180 degrees measured counter-clock-wise. This is as defined by Rudyhar's Sun-Moon phase book, "The Lunation Cycle." Dave.