I've joined the Moldavite club

shelikes2read

I found a highly-ranked mineral vendor on eBay, and picked up a reasonably-priced Moldavite sample. It's 4.335 carats, so it's not huge, but that's OK. Stones don't have to be boulder-sized to have an impact, especially when they were formed under such high-energy conditions as Moldavite was.

It arrived today. I love it already. First of all, green is my favorite color, and second of all, I love clear stones. So those are two reasons why Moldavite would resonate with me, no matter what.

Very nice. I haven't had time to really sit down with it, but I like the vibe coming from it. For safekeeping, I've put it in the box with my working Tarot deck until I have some free time to sit down and really familiarize myself with it.

wildchilde

ooohhhh, I can't wait to hear more! I have been drawn to it many times this year, but have yet to take the plunge and get some. Interesting that it was "love at first sight". I hope you will post more for the crystal study thread.

Hemera

I hope you will post more for the crystal study thread.
Yes, me too!
Here is what I found about it in wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldavite

It looks lovely, like green glass in some of the pictures. (Which is what makes me ask how you can tell it from fakes?) Oh, and there is something about meteorites,too. Fascinating. I must go back and read more.

Richard

Welcome to the club!

I have a sample which I bought about 20 years ago. It's roughly rectangular, about 20mm x 15mm. It's very dark unless a light shines through it, and then it is a beautiful grass-green color. There is a belief that the Holy Grail described in Wolfram's romance Parzival was made of Moldavite. The characteristic rough surface would be very hard to fake with ordinary green bottle glass.

MetaphysicalJohn

OP, I would love to get in touch with this Seller and purchase a piece of my own.

shelikes2read

Yes, me too!
Here is what I found about it in wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldavite

It looks lovely, like green glass in some of the pictures. (Which is what makes me ask how you can tell it from fakes?) Oh, and there is something about meteorites,too. Fascinating. I must go back and read more.

The only way to really avoid fakes is to establish a relationship with a dealer who you know is trustworthy.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes out there, because it's way too easy to cast a mold from a legit Moldavite sample and use regular green glass to mimic the shape of a real stone. That's because Moldavite *IS* a form of glass, albeit one that was formed by nature instead of in a factory. Another kind of natural glass is called "volcanic glass", also known as obsidian, Apache's Tears, and other names.

If you spot a so-called Moldavite that is bright green like bottle glass, steer clear. Actually, google for "fake Moldavite" and you will probably get enough info to keep you safe from falling for scams. Read it seriously. Unfortunately, some dealers have caught on to the fact that Moldavite is extremely popular with crystal aficionados who are willing to pay top dollar. So they find it all too easy to mass-produce phony stones and mark up the price for unwary buyers.

If you get educated -- and I mean learning about the tricks of the fraudsters just as avidly as you study the metaphysical properties of Moldavite -- then you will be able to avoid the pitfalls and ensure that you have only genuine stones in your collection.

shelikes2read

Welcome to the club!

I have a sample which I bought about 20 years ago. It's roughly rectangular, about 20mm x 15mm. It's very dark unless a light shines through it, and then it is a beautiful grass-green color. There is a belief that the Holy Grail described in Wolfram's romance Parzival was made of Moldavite. The characteristic rough surface would be very hard to fake with ordinary green bottle glass.

The trouble is, people do try to make counterfeit Moldavite, specifically because they know that there are crystal collectors out there who are wiling to pay a lot for it and its metaphysical properties.

The way they do it is to make a mold, using a genuine piece of Moldavite, and then cast green glass copies of the genuine piece. Moldavite actually is a type of glass, formed from molten rock that was rapidly cooled. (Same thing for volcanic glass/obsidian: that was molten rock that abruptly cooled and formed natural glass, as well.)

Searching for terms like "fake Moldavite" and "counterfeit Moldavite" will help clue buyers in to the things we need to look for, to keep ourselves from being scammed.

As for my new stone friend :) , the first thing I picked up on was an opening of the Heart Chakra, which makes good sense since green is one color associated with that Chakra. (Pink is the other color. See: Rose Quartz.)

Side note: I'm big on color therapy, which uses different colors to create desirable effects on their corresponding Chakras. I treat other stones in the same fashion; if I haven't learned that a specific chakra corresponds to a given stone, especially one that is new to me, then I look at the stone and determine from its color some likely ways that we will be able to work with it. And if you use this method, you will be right on target the vast majority of the time.

In this case, Moldavite and my Heart Chakra have a strong resonance for one another. Since I've read about the fact that Moldavite raises one's vibration level, I'm going to presume that it will have a positive impact on ALL my higher Chakras (including the Throat Chakra, the Third Eye Chakra, and the Crown Chakra), should I choose to work with it in that fashion. But I haven't had the time to sit down and try that yet.

shelikes2read

OP, I would love to get in touch with this Seller and purchase a piece of my own.

I think the seller in question's ID was azmeteorites. (I'm on a mobile device, so looking up the ebay transaction would be a little cumbersome. But I wanted to respond now, rather than wait till I was on a laptop later and then forget to answer.)

louiseb

does any one have the address or contact info of a reputable dealer in moldavite to share, i have always wanted to purchase a small piece, but like most i am wary of spending a top dollar for a fake.

louiseb

found out that this gem is from the czech republic very interesting as my best friend is from there, she said in many mining places and surrounding areas where the public walk they dont realize there walking on maldovite, i think a quick 60 dollar flight over there is worth the trip lol, have you seen the prices of this stuff, 400 dollars for a small piece.... am i being ripped off and cannot see it.