Hematite

stonesatiety

Mmm. I've held many lovely forms in Dalmation Stone, but have yet to bring any home. Perhaps soon? Very smooth energy, calm.

Tourmaline in quartz: wonderful! Great neutralizer. I have quartz crystals with tourmalines of different colors too. ~ Warning ~ Fascination with stones can become costly. :) Fortunately, black tourmaline can do it all and is the least expensive.

That reminded me of something I forgot, given your initial attraction to hematite. Hematite can also be found within quartz! One small double-terminated (both ends natural tips) clear quartz crystal I have told me it primarily came to shield or protect me. I don't carry it often--I'm okay regardless--but I trust when it offers to ride along in its pouch. Black Rainbow (the name I felt when I asked) takes care of hidden mischief so I can focus on balancing *my* end of things. It's always a two-way street, I've found. We have so many games going on from so many lives...thank goodness the non-humans gladly help sort things out.

This small crystal from Tibet is called Tibetan Black Quartz. The "black" is hematite. I have others, which I really like. The high altitude quartz has an extra-high vibration that might balance the hematite's solidness just enough to make it comfy. If a chipped or heavily damaged stone attracts you, the physical strife is not so to a stone. It can get you a deal while helping every bit as much. ;-)

Lokisen

I used to wear those cheap bands [rings] made out of hematite (like $.99 a local store)--I had several, but they often ended up breaking on me, even if I just lightly touched a hard surface. Like, before I knew it, my ring would cleave in two :( . I used to read about hematite's supposed metaphysical properties or whatever, and looking back on when I used to wear the rings, I had never seemed to feel the qualities ascribed to the stone (I had read it increased courage or wisdom or something). Instead, I wound up feeling more serious when I wore them; is this what is meant by grounding?

As for other black stones, I prefer to wear black agate (banded or otherwise).

And quartz is nice, too, I recently bought some beautiful clear and pale blue rock crystal quartz which I wore on a chain for a while. My family, though, did not like it (ugh)--they thought it looked cheap and chintzy, partially because it was a "natural cut"--rough and unpolished and pointy, which I love.

Hiding in Shadows

If I remember correctly, those rings and health bands are man made as are the magnetic hematite you find on the toy isle for kids to play with. I looked into this a long time ago, but have forgotten the particulars. Kind of like the lab grown crystals. While similar, they are different. Since hematite is a grounding stone, an increase in focus and seriousness would be an appropriate effect. If you're not grounded, you tend to be a little spacey or daydream quite a bit. You could also be accident prone as you won't be able to focus your attention as you should.

Lokisen

Well, you pegged it somewhat correctly--I am a rather easily distracted person and I am a bit "accident prone" but for a different reason than just distraction. I guess the metaphysical meanings of hematite I was reading a while back were inaccurate. The reason I originally bought them was that I liked the stones' look.

MarLynS

Thank you. I hadn't heard of black tourmaline or Dalmatian jasper. Will check those out.

:)

stonesatiety

Hi Lokisen. To be grounded means to be present. If you become serious, you are taking the sensory input from your body and around you seriously. Which is fine. Your challenge may be to feel your contact with the earth more. (Which includes fun things like dancing.) My challenge was to "unplant" myself. We are not trees or gophers, after all.

Being present is also the place where sustained joy exists, rather than the hills and valleys of happiness and sadness. It takes time getting used to paying attention and even more, learning to love oneself no matter what. The joy sits there right now waiting to surprise you. It comes from whatever and whoever we are beneath the facade.

Fun how you like the unfinished stones. I was probably in my early forties before I was comfortable with cut and polished stones. Other than spheres. I've always been drawn to them. How do you feel with the black agate, compared with the hematite?

Lokisen

@stonesatiety--

I do like black agate; it definitely works better for me than hematite, which I do not like as much, it kind of made me feel "blah". One of the things I like most about black agate (at least with the carving I have) is the way the more you wear it, the more white markings surface in the stone (might be the heat from my skin; I don't know)--it was a real surprise at first to see this effect.

I'm fairly new to stones and crystals, but I think so far the stone that works best for me is carnelian. Plus, it's really pretty :)

GypsyFaerie

I used to wear those cheap bands [rings] made out of hematite (like $.99 a local store)--I had several, but they often ended up breaking on me, even if I just lightly touched a hard surface. Like, before I knew it, my ring would cleave in two :( .

I too have had several hematite rings break - however, for me that is what they're supposed to do. I'm a naturally high energy person - but I'm super sensitive to negative emotions. Negative emotions around me tends to really drain my energy and increase the occurrences of my cluster headaches. Hematite is very good for absorbing negative energy - but once it has all the negative energy it can hold in a fragile form (such as a ring), it tends to shatter. This was a good barometer for me of how much negative energy was affecting me. It was particularly useful when I was in high school and college. Now however, I prefer to carry a hematite stone in my pocket or bag (if I'm carrying one - which is rare). I also usually carry an amethyst with it for its psychic protection properties to filter how much negative energy my hematite has to handle. Oh and if I didn't mention it - I have a highly stressful job that involves contact with the general public as well as employees in all other departments - so I try to carry these two stones with me every time I have to go to work.