Cinnabar

Briar Rose

Hi everyone,

I found a huge chunck of Cinnabar (the size of a plum) when I was out for a walk with me and my dog. it is bright reddish- terra cotta. I had a geologist idenitify the rock. He said, and I also looked it up in my rock book that it has mercury in it, and that exposed to heat at 500 degrees, it releases the mercury. I won't put it nthe oven but-

Cinnabar isn't in Melody's dictionary on crystals.

And I am wondering about the dangers of mercury in Cinnabar? How does this effect touching the rock? Does the pulse of the rock, having mercury in it effect having it near crystals? Are we effected by it? I should really drop line to International Isotopes and see what they have to say, too.

I don't want to just go by- what ever feels good.

I know that just having vaseline glass in your house is BAD BAD BAD, like a backroom microwave on 24/7.

PathWalker

Cinnabar does appear in the volume "Love is in the Earth" updated by Melody (my version 2004).
There are no negative assosiations or warnings in her book about it.

In the "Illustrated Guide to Minerals" it tells us that Cinnabar is Mercury Sulphide - HgS - and that you should wash your hands carefully after handling.

That's all I know, don't have any myself.

Briar Rose

I have the 2005 copy. What page is yours on? I couldn't find it in the book.

It can't be too good if you have to wash your hands after handling. Yipes!

I know that it was once used by artists to get the color vermillion.

PathWalker

Love is in the Earth - a kaleidoscope of crystals - updated -
ISBN 0 - 9628190 - 3 - 4
Eighteenth printing 2004

Cinnabar - page 208 - between the entries for Churchite and Citrine

PW

PathWalker

There's also an entry in the Crystal Bible by Judy Hall.

PW

Briar Rose

oh thank you.

Hiding in Shadows

I'm sure you've looked up all the info by now, but one author did list it as a dangerous stone due to the mercury content. I think most people stay away from it. I know I don't mind lead so much, but I haven't brought myself to play with cinnabar yet. The name is so inticing though!

EliseM

Alchemy

I was reading only this very day! (Actually it was yesterday, but close enough) about cinnabar being the amalgam of Quicksilver and Sulfur. This is in Titus Burkhardt's book Alchemy. Let me know if you want the page ref.

I live in Japan, and the gates to the Shinto temples are lacquered in cinnabar - is that the right term? It's painted on in several layers, like lacquer is. It's really expensive! But the colour is beautiful. Wow, you're so lucky to have found it just like that.

Briar Rose

I think I gave my Judy Hall book away to someone in need. What does she say about it, please? And yes, I would love a quick ref to, Titus Burkhardt's book Alchemy. Thank you for your time.

zannamarie

From what I've seen online, it's a pretty stone.

I found the following health warning on this web page. The mercury is mostly likely inert in the rock you have. The concern is in freeing the mercury in some form or another (dust, fumes, etc.) just like the concerns with a mercury thermometer.

Health Warning:

Contains mercury - always wash hands after handling. Do not inhale dust and use caution when breaking. Do not lick or ingest. Do not heat in unventilated environment - emits toxic Hg fumes. Mercury sulfide is, however, relatively insoluble and toxicity of the pure material is low. But be aware that many samples of cinnabar, especially those which are 'massive' rather than crystalline, also contain traces of native mercury, and this is far more easily absorbed by the body.