sun in house

oddtarot

I recently got the idea that the sun in a certain house represents the area that would be of greatest importance in the person's life. Would I be correct for assuming that?

frac_ture

Hi, oddtarot. You know, personally, I wouldn't assume that every time. The Sun is always going to be a huge influence that can't be ignored, so yes, it's always smart practice to give it serious consideration. But consider this hypothetical:

In a certain chart, the Moon is conjunct the Ascendant, which lies in Cancer (so the Moon rules the Ascendant, and according to a lot of astrologers, it also therefore rules the entire chart...and the Moon is also rising, which in my own experience, adds a tremendous amount of weight to its overall presence in a chart). The Moon is sitting in the First House, also in Cancer (so it's Angular, and also in the Sign that it rules -- both of these things give it added power in this chart). Several other Planets are also placed in the First House in Cancer, close enough to the Moon that they form a stellium (the Moon therefore rules all of these Planets, too). Meanwhile, the Sun sits off by itself in Aquarius (a Sign where it's not at its happiest) in the Eighth House, not making any significant aspects, and largely disconnected from the rest of the chart. I'd argue that in this case, the Moon might be more of an influence than the Sun for the person whose chart this is, and that the affairs of the First House (where the Moon is) are more critical than the affairs of the Eighth (where the Sun is).

My point is that the Sun is always a major force...but I wouldn't assume every single time that it's the most major force in a chart. It's best to take a look at all of the Planets before making that decision, that's all.

oddtarot

Hello, thanks for the reply. I have only learned so far as the houses. As of now i'm assuming that when the sun is in the fifth house, the individual would think of fun as being important. But it appears that there are many other things that could influence the strengths of the sun in the chart. In this case, I made a generalization to a person whose chart I looked at that she probably cares a lot about fun, actually I think it was a few people. It only occurred to me later that I should find out how other things influence that influence. Perhaps I shouldn't have told them about the "most important thing" too quickly?

frac_ture

Well, I'm only saying that I wouldn't state that the Sun's House will always represent "the most important thing" to the person whose chart you're analyzing. I believe that in some charts, the Sun can be outweighed in importance. It's surely still important, so I wouldn't stress about having offered the observation you gave her...but it will also always pay to check for other emphasized Planets/Signs/Houses, too, before making your conclusions.

Ronia

I recently got the idea that the sun in a certain house represents the area that would be of greatest importance in the person's life. Would I be correct for assuming that?

To me it does, yes, to a big extend. You have to make your choice, as the time passes and you explore more charts, how you will see and treat the Sun in a chart. I've stated many times here that to me, from my experience, it does matter a great deal. Both its sign and the house. The sign tells us what the personality of this Sun is, how this energy is going to be projected to the outside (which is different from how it will viewed FROM the outside - the ascendant). The house shows where this whole energy will be focused. No aspects will ever prevent the Sun from exercising its energy in the manner of the sign in the area covered by the house, this is my way of reading a chart and it works for me. The aspects will help or put obstacles in the way but in the end, it's the Sun which delivers the energy to the chart, so from my point of view, definitely the sign and house of the Sun color the whole chart and show where the maximum focus will be had. (Mars will never be equal, IMO). The Sun is VITAL. Vitality is the keyword for the Sun. Whatever the position of the Sun shows will be vital in more than one way for the querent. Always, as long as the querent is alive.

I've also noted that the Sun's position colors lunar and venus returns as well, despite them being mainly about another planet.

P.S. You must always take the sign of the Sun as well, IMO. You must first decipher the "personality" of this Sun to then proceed and see how such personality would act in the area of the house. A Libra Sun in the 5th will be interested in things different than a Virgo Sun in the 5th. It may be art, it may be flirt, it may be good life in general, but it may be children as well. The houses cover more than one or two things and you need to "know" this Sun to guess how s/he will perform in this paticular house.

Minderwiz

...... the sign and house of the Sun color the whole chart and show where the maximum focus will be had. (Mars will never be equal, IMO). The Sun is VITAL. Vitality is the keyword for the Sun. Whatever the position of the Sun shows will be vital in more than one way for the querent. Always, as long as the querent is alive........ You must always take the sign of the Sun as well, IMO. You must first decipher the "personality" of this Sun to then proceed and see how such personality would act in the area of the house. A Libra Sun in the 5th will be interested in things different than a Virgo Sun in the 5th.

I wouldn't disagree with the general nature of Ronia's comments, though I'm going to add a few other points. I would start with echoing Ronia and adding one other planet. Through the history of Horoscopic Astrology (the Astrology that uses a chart based on the Ascendant), the Sun and the Moon have always been two of the three most important planets in any chart. The other planet is the Ascendant Ruler (and the Ascendant itself is the most important point). That means that for 100% of us the Sun and Moon are of great importance for some, with Leo or Cancer rising, they will be paramount. However, for people with Aries or Scorpio rising, it's possible that Mars will be equal (on average that will be one sixth of births) in terms of determining life experience. For non-Aries/Scorpio Ascendants, Mars may be of little influence at all.

Ronia says that the Sun represents vitality, nearly 2000 years ago the Astrologer Vettius Valens gave the characteristics of the Sun as

'bringing light to the mind'....'signifying that part within us that is inwardly noble....that part that can take on leadership responsibilities....the part of the mind that is employed in perceiving, thinking, feeling, deciding...the ability to be wise and know things from experience'

I think the word 'VITALITY' is a good choice of a single word to sum up those characteristics. Take away those characteristics and life becomes aimless, meaningless and chaotic.

It is no wonder that the Sun is important but the Sun's characteristics are not all that allows life to be maintained. The Moon according to Valens

signifies the internal property of "being"...the quality of "existence"....connected with the physical body.

He goes on to link the Moon with the need for companionship, marriage, nurturing, the facade or mask we wear in public (often attributed to the Ascendant by modern astrologers) and the "goddess energy within us", By medieval times the Moon was seen as the instinctive, non-rational part of our minds.

So the Sun alone is not enough, the Moon is also necessary to sustain life. The two used to be referred to as the Lights. Which of the two is seen as the most important has varied over the lifetime of Astrology. Modern Astrology takes the Sun but it has not always been so. At the beginning the most important of the two was the Sect Light. That is the Sun for day births (Sun above the horizon) and the Moon for night births (Sun below the horizon). By Medieval times, the Moon was seen as being more important as it had rulership over things below the heavens, whereas the Sun had rulership for things above. However they were still the two most important planets, in general.

The third planet, which differs from birth to birth, is the Ascendant Ruler. That planet says something about our mind, body and spirit. It represents our physical body, ourselves. For nearly two thousand years these three have been the triumvirate of most important planets in any chart.

Ronia is right to draw attention to the Sign placement. The character of each of the three is nuanced for better or worse by the Sign in which it lies. A medieval view was that the nature of the Sun cycles throughout the year, according to the seasons, for Autumn births it adds a touch of Melancholy, for Summer births it adds a touch of Choler, or Fire.

Returning to the original question, it depends on what you mean by 'important' or perhaps better phrased as 'important to whom?' The more likely answer is that the Ascendant Ruler by house gives the area of life that is most important from an objective stance.

I stress 'objective' because the person themselves might not see things that way. I'm talking more about how others see them.

There is also the issue of what house system is being used because it is quite possible for the Sun and indeed any planet to change houses if a different system is used. That doesn't necessarily invalidate the point. Quite often a person might be seen differently by different people or groups.

oddtarot

Well, I'm only saying that I wouldn't state that the Sun's House will always represent "the most important thing" to the person whose chart you're analyzing. I believe that in some charts, the Sun can be outweighed in importance. It's surely still important, so I wouldn't stress about having offered the observation you gave her...but it will also always pay to check for other emphasized Planets/Signs/Houses, too, before making your conclusions.
Thanks, I feel better about giving that conclusion now. I actually haven't learned to interpret trines, and the linking lines yet. Linking lines? I think I fall quite short of giving a full astrology reading. :)

Hi Ronia, Oh I forgot to take the sign into consideration, I have always been reading them separately, the signs and the houses. Thanks for letting me know. Also thanks for letting me know I didn't tell her totally the wrong thing that her sun would signify a big part of her life.

Hi Minderwiz, the part about the ascendant rules was interesting, it was something I have not come across before, I didn't even realize that there was an ascendant in the houses. Also, her moon was in the same house as her sun, something I didn't even mention to her. :(

Aww, I feel bad, all of you gave me so much information and I didn't even write half the amount you did. You're all great.

Minderwiz

Hi Minderwiz, the part about the ascendant rules was interesting, it was something I have not come across before, I didn't even realize that there was an ascendant in the houses. Also, her moon was in the same house as her sun, something I didn't even mention to her. :(

Aww, I feel bad, all of you gave me so much information and I didn't even write half the amount you did. You're all great.

Hi oddtarot,

There is only one Ascendant, which in most house systems is the cusp of the first house. That point is therefore the key point in the chart It lies in the rising sign - the sign rising over the eastern horizon - the ruler of the rising sign is therefore the Ascendant ruler. I have Leo rising, so the Sun is my Ascendant ruler, which adds to the Sun's importance in my chart.

Don't worry about not saying much. At your stage you should be asking questions and the one you asked was a good one