House ruler or Triplicity ruler in Horary

kittymumu

Hi everyone,

I have 2 very basic questions about horary, hope you could help me out with them :)

I wonder which one is more powerful in an horary chart, the house ruler or the triplicity ruler? For instance, the 7th house represents the questied in a relationship question. If their main significator is in it's own house or sign that usually means they focus more on themselves at the moment. But what if their main significator is in a sign that's ruled by the querent's main or co significator? Let say, Mars is the ruler of the 7th and is in its own sign of Scorpio. Venus is the ruler of the 1st and since it's a day chart, Venus rules water triplicities. Does that make the quesited focus more on the querent than themselves?

The other question would be can a planet only be aspected once in a chart?

Thanks for your insight in advance :)

Minderwiz

Hi everyone,

I have 2 very basic questions about horary, hope you could help me out with them :)

I wonder which one is more powerful in an horary chart, the house ruler or the triplicity ruler? For instance, the 7th house represents the questied in a relationship question. If their main significator is in it's own house or sign that usually means they focus more on themselves at the moment. But what if their main significator is in a sign that's ruled by the querent's main or co significator? Let say, Mars is the ruler of the 7th and is in its own sign of Scorpio. Venus is the ruler of the 1st and since it's a day chart, Venus rules water triplicities. Does that make the quesited focus more on the querent than themselves?

By the time of Lilly there was a strict order for essential dignities. The highest was sign rulership, so in your example above, Lilly would have scored Mars +5 for being in Scorpio. The comes exaltation (+4 on the Medieval scale), there is no exaltation in Scorpio, so we move on to the third essential dignity, which is the Triplicity Ruler. Venus is the triplicity ruler of Water in a Day chart so this would score +3. You can by now see the answer to your question, The person signified by Mars, has his/her own needs as a first priority but the Venus person comes next - there are feelings for that person and they are reasonably strong.

The remaining two dignities are 'Terms' (+2) and 'Face' (or decan; +1). These were viewed as minor dignities, with Rulership and Exaltation being the major ones. Triplicity comes somewhere in between.

All these dignities were found in Hellenistic Astrology - the original form of Horoscopic Astrology but it's clear that the Decans were from a rival system of fixing the position of planets and stars , which ended up being incorporated into the zodiac and that may have been the situation for the Terms (also called Bounds or Confines) The Triplicities are also very early but are almost certainly zodiacal in origin. Hellenistic Astrologers made more use of the bounds or confines than the did of the tripliciities. so the strict scale did not really exist in the sense that it did for Lilly. Even so, you can take the Rulers and Exaltations as the most important dignities right through the period of Horoscopic Astrology.

You will also see the Triplicity, Terms and Faces criticised because there are two systems - the Egyptian ones (which you quote) and the Ptolemaic ones. Ptolemy tried to 'rationalise' the systems for all three dignities, though it's by no means clear that he, or anyone else actually used his forms, until medieval times. By then, the loss of much of the other texts had led Astrologers to give more importance to Ptolemy than he actually deserved, at least as an authority on the original form of Astrology.

Current thought puts the Egyptian system as being the one most widely used in Hellenistic Astrology by some distance.

kittymumu said:
The other question would be can a planet only be aspected once in a chart?

Thanks for your insight in advance :)

It depends what you mean by that. :)

Any planet can be the object of more than one applying aspect and, given that planets move at different speeds, these aspects will be perfected according to speed and distance (and a possible station retrograde or direct_.

In a horary question the usual circumstance is that you look for application between significators. If there is no application then the matter comes to nothing. If there is application then you check to see if any other planet will get there first - this is known as prohibition, or whether one of the significators will change direction before the aspect is perfected - this is known as refranation.

Aspects between other planets are usually ignored as are aspects between significators and third planets which are not going to prohibit the matter.

However there are two exceptions to that. Where there is no aspect forming between significators but a faster planet will apply (and perfect) to each significator in turn, then the matter may be perfected by translation of light. The third planet has made two successive aspects so clearly it does get aspected more than once.

There is a similar situation, referred to as collection of light, where the two significators apply in turn to a slower third planet. Again no aspect must exist between those two significators.

The Moon is the usual planet for translation of light, as it is far quicker than anything else. For collection Jupiter is best because it's a benefic. Saturn is slower but it's naturally malefic and therefore the person signified as the one who could intereve to put matter right might deliberately fail to do so.

The Moon's aspects also are seen as giving an account of what has been happening and what may happen. That's something that can be useful when you have a question about what's going on in a situation, rather than a question on will that or this happen (though the past Moon aspects should give you an idea of the background).

kittymumu

Hi Minderwiz! Thanks again for your great insights :)

I've been researching and trying to learn more about sign and triplicity rulership, but found mixed information online. This link (http://www.auxmaillesgodefroy.com/triplicity_and_rulers) shows different element rulers for day and night charts based on different techniques. It got me little confused and not sure which one to follow.

So based on what you mentioned, the order of rulership would be sign, exaltion, triplicity, terms and face. And because of that, we can conclude that while my quesited has feelings for me he still puts himself as his top priority correct?

As for planetary aspects, I wonder if we should only consider aspects between main signicators in the chart? My chart shows that my main significator of Venus is not able to perfect the square to quesited's main significator of Mars because Mars will partially conjunct Saturn in the same sign of Scorpio first. I read somewhere that planets in the same sign with the main signifactor should be taken as the person's co significator, so I see Saturn as my quesited's co significator. Since Venus is the faster planet and at a smaller degree, it will square Saturn at a later time. Does that square have any importance in analyzing the chart or we should ignore it because it's not an aspect between two main signifators?

*Edit to add: I just noticed something interesting in the chart, our main signifactors are in detriment in each other's 1st house. (Venus-Aries & Mars-Libra), does this suggest that this relationship will be harmful for both of us OR does it mean that we feel different than what we show outside due to conflicts/tension from the current situation?

Minderwiz

Hi Minderwiz! Thanks again for your great insights :)

I've been researching and trying to learn more about sign and triplicity rulership, but found mixed information online. This link (http://www.auxmaillesgodefroy.com/triplicity_and_rulers) shows different element rulers for day and night charts based on different techniques. It got me little confused and not sure which one to follow.

So based on what you mentioned, the order of rulership would be sign, exaltion, triplicity, terms and face. And because of that, we can conclude that while my quesited has feelings for me he still puts himself as his top priority correct?

As for planetary aspects, I wonder if we should only consider aspects between main signicators in the chart? My chart shows that my main significator of Venus is not able to perfect the square to quesited's main significator of Mars because Mars will partially conjunct Saturn in the same sign of Scorpio first. I remember reading from somewhere that planets in the same sign with the main signifactor should be taken as the person's co significator, so I see Saturn as my quesited's co significator. Since Venus is the faster planet and at a smaller degree, it will square Saturn at a later time. Does that square have any importance in analyzing the chart or we should ignore it because it's not an aspect between two main signifators?

The triplicity rulers, attributed to Dorotheus in the website you quote were the triplicity rulers that were common in Hellenistic Astrology. , viz:

Aries/Leo/Sagittarius - Sun Jupiter Saturn (diurnal - Sun and Jupiter change places for nocturnal charts)

Capricorn/Taurus/Virgo/ - Venus Moon Mars (diurnal again reverse Moon and Venus for nocturnal charts)

Libra/Aquarius/Gemini - Saturn Mercury Jupiter (diurnal again reverse Mercury and Saturn for nocturnal charts)

Cancer/Scorpio/Pisces - Venus Mars Moon (diurnal again reverse Venus and Moon for nocturnal charts.

Indeed this appear to be the very earliest system, being even earlier than the assignment of the elements to the triplicities (which is why I've left out the words Fire, Earth, Air and Water). This system is dependent on the division of the horoscopic into diurnal and nocturnal charts and the planets into dirunal and nocturnal sects. That's the reason that Mars has no rulership in the 'Fire' triplicity because Aries/Leo/Sagittarius is a diurnal triplicity and Mars is a nocturnal planet.

It's by no means clear that Ptolemy's version was widely used or even used at all until the late medieval/Seventeenth Century periods by which time the participating rulerships had been dropped. Lilly was in a real sense a 'back to Ptolemy' Astrologer, throwing out much of the Arabic sources because he believed that their differences from Ptolemy were their own invention and was unaware that actually much of their content was pre-Ptolemy and hence 'more original'.

Ptolemy tried to reform Astrology, as did Morin so what you have is the personal opinions of two great Astrologers but not backed up by much in the way of proof. Ptolemy's version survived more because of historical accident than because it was recognised as superior. That is, Ptolemy was 'lucky' in that his work was translated into Latin and remained as virtually the only complete text on Astrology that was available in the West.

Much of the revived teaching on horary has based itself on William Lilly, that's the way I came to it and I took up Lilly's view of essential dignities and Lilly's house system (Regiomontanus). I've since learned that there were horary Astrologers before Lilly (indeed 600 years before) and that Regiomontanus has no special nature which makes it 'special' for horary. Any house system will do. The original horary system was Whole Sign Houses, just as that was the original system for topical Astrology.

In that context, which should you use? For triplicity rulerships I use the original system as quoted by Dorotheus. It has a rationale, within the context of chart interpretations used at the time which makes more sense than Ptolemy's revisionist version. This is not really a sufficient proof, as horary developed after the Hellenistic period - it's probably Persian in origin, though based on the original Hellenistic methods. The medieval period saw the dropping of the participating rulers, even in the Dorotheus system.

Lilly's system clearly worked for Lilly. So if you decided to keep to it, that is fine. My own experience is that the Dorothean triplicity rulerships work better but then I'm sure you'll find an Astrologer who will argue the opposite. I think it now comes down to which system you fell more comfortable with.

On your questited - as I said he has feelings and that alone justifies the consideration of a relationship as a possibility in the future. A horary is a snap shot in time. That he has feelings is a good sign. Those feelings may grow in the future (or the may diminish). The time may not be right now but in the words of the great Astrologer, Scarlett O' Hara, 'Tomorrow is another day'

The querent's usual significators are the Ascendant, The Ascendant ruler and the Moon. I have only ever once used a different significator and that was when the querent and quesited were both ruled by the same planet and there was no exaltation ruler or planets in the questited's house.

The quesited is usually signified by the ruler of the relevant house cusp, it might be signified by the moon in certain circumstances and you might use a planet from that house if the first two are not available and there's no suitable exaltation ruler. If you're using a quadrant house system and there's a sign intercepted in the quesited's house then you could use the ruler of that sign as a co-significator. Personally that's not something I would do, but Dunn and others argue the case for it quite strongly. I'd fall back on Whole Sign Houses and use the sole planet that that produces. Again that's a personal take and should not be treated as binding in any way.

But you can't play around with significators in the sense of changing them to make things fit or the first two did not give you the result you wanted. There are times with the quesited, especially when two or more related things are asked about when your first or even second preference is no longer available because it's in use. In such circumstances, I would prefer to go for a 'natural' significator than simply a planet in the house. So if the question referred to the 'father' and the fourth house ruler were unavailable and there was an issue with the exaltation ruler, then I'd use the Sun, no matter where it was in the chart - the Sun is the natural significator of fathers. If the father is elderly, then Saturn would be the next choice.

In short, planet in house would be right at the end of my search (unless it happened to be the exaltation ruler or a natural significator, in which case it would jump out at you).

kittymumu

Thanks Minderwiz!!

I wish I could press "like" for your reply :) I think I need to sign up a course in horary so my knowledge of it won't be so scattered.

Thanks again for your help!

Minderwiz

Thanks Minderwiz!!

I wish I could press "like" for your reply :) I think I need to sign up a course in horary so my knowledge of it won't be so scattered.

Thanks again for your help!

There are several about but I would recommend that you buy a copy of Christian Astrology Books I & II by William Lilly (they are sold as one physical book) You can decide from there whether you want to go on and do a course but you might find that Lilly is sufficient. There are several books on horary in the Resources section.

BTW I have checked Sahl Ibn Bisher, who wrote one of the earliest books on horary Astrology, around the first half of the ninth century. He cites the Dorothean Triplicity rulers, including the participating rulers.

kittymumu

Thanks Minderwiz!! I will definitely check them out!

Just one quick question, for my chart, Mars in Scorpio won't be ruled by Venus when it transits from Scorpio to Sagittaris, does that mean that his feelings for me will be gone by then?

Chanah

Sahl is one of my favourite astrologers. Absolutely love Introduction to the Science of the Judgment of the Stars (the horary book). He's still my go-to.

Now - as to your question. No no no! Your horary was for a moment in time to reflect your situation. He's still Mars in Scorpio.

Were you to do a horary next month about him, he might be Jupiter in Leo. Or Sun in Libra. Or any other planet.

You don't progress or direct horaries. They're pictures of what is at any given moment.

Minderwiz

Now - as to your question. No no no! Your horary was for a moment in time to reflect your situation. He's still Mars in Scorpio.

Were you to do a horary next month about him, he might be Jupiter in Leo. Or Sun in Libra. Or any other planet.

You don't progress or direct horaries. They're pictures of what is at any given moment.

Good answer

Horaries are snapshots. If perfection only occurs after there is a sign change be very careful on drawing any conclusions. Firstly only consider it if it occurs in the first couple of degrees of the next sign and the application was already close to perfection. Secondly there's a change involved, so your conclusion would be that the matter will only reach perfection if there's a change in circumstances. Unless we're talking about the Moon, I'd want to have an applying aspect of no more than three degrees apart and the slowest significator to already have reached the twenty ninth degree of it's sign before I'd consider that.

kittymumu

Thanks for the clarification Chanah and Minderwiz!

I was confused as I've seen astrologers mentioning future changes in situation or mindsets of people involved due to sign change of the siginificators. For instance, astrologers would say something like person A currently has strong feelings for person B, but since A's main ruler will be entering an new sign his/her feeling will start to fade and etc... So I got the impression that somehow we need to pregress the chart to at least the next sign or house to draw valid conclusions. I have horary done with a professional astrologer before and if I remember correctly, he told me that he considers aspects within few degrees to be the most reliable as the chance of perfection is much higher.

So I think in my case, since there is no sign change before the perfection and triplicity rulership change I should just look at the chart as it is.