Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Lo Scarabeo: Tarot Compendium Kickstarter

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

I think it's more to attract people in general. Sadly people don't like reading books without lots of pictures any more - this seems to tie into the proliferation of graphic "novels" (which to me are glorified comic books). I've SEEN people pick up books in bookstores and say "oh, but there aren't any pictures". And that for a NOVEL. Non-fiction even more so.

A regrettable part of the dumbing down of the education systems in the first world, even while those in the third world are thirsting for learning and value it - pictures or not. See also all the research on how attention spans are falling all the time, which is why kids' TV programmes are increasingly in tiny sound bites.

ETA which one - it looks like the 1789 restored:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=43

or the 1910 Grimaud - the colours are more like that: http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #21
Mixtape expert

Lain_82 
Mixtape expert

From someone born and raised in a third-world country: we like pictures in books too and I can't say I necessarily agree with the idea that graphic novels are in any way dumbed down books or glorified comics... but that's a discussion for another time.

I backed this campaign and also recently purchased the first 2 volumes I missed; I'm mostly interested in tarot books that I can use as reference when I'm studying, and I'm excited about the last volume because from what I see in the table of contents, it might contain some interesting introductions to aspects of tarot I'm not familiar with. So far, The only thing that I wish they had included in the first books is more references to other tarot systems; most of the books I see in recommendations are very focused on the RWS and it's a bit harder to find comprehensive tomes that deal with the Thoth for example in more depth.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #22
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

I just hate graphic novels. They aren't novels !

But I absolutely agree that third world people love pictures too - what I was getting at is that the people I've met there (in my experience and yes I have visited - including schools) and people who have come here from less well off countries are much more willing to put in the effort to learn; we seem to have to be TEMPTED to do anything that requires any effort these days.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #23
Goodbye :(

littlethings 
Goodbye :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post

ETA which one - it looks like the 1789 restored:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=43

or the 1910 Grimaud - the colours are more like that: http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm
Thank you for the links. I haven't decided yet if I should get the deck.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #24
Citizen

DeToX 
Citizen

Thanks for the links Gregory. Yes I think it's part of global internet culture and modernity that people are more visually oriented. If you consider what the target audience is for most LoS products, they probably widened/are widening it a little to try to include the purists as well, arriving at some kind of compromise of sorts without putting off their core customer base. Lol maybe it is a coincidence but ever get the feeling you're being watched? lol. I will very likely back this campaign and get the Etteilla I deck.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #25
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

It is really going slowly now. Unless they get a bump from people who were waiting until the end, seems not that likely that they will make $50K euros
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #26
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Well, I CAN live without a second bag, never mind a seal ! but there are a few days left.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #27
Citizen

theEnigma 
Citizen

Overall, what are people's thoughts on the "encyclopedia?" Do you find the volumes to be good reference material, or do they sit on your bookshelf? Is there any difference between the "kickstarter" editions and the regular?
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #28
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

There is no difference in the editions, no. And I do use them for reference. I HATE the stock photos, but other than that I like them. They do have a LOT of typos, but again - I can live with them; the meaning gets across.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #29
student of tarot

rwcarter 
student of tarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnigma View Post
Overall, what are people's thoughts on the "encyclopedia?" Do you find the volumes to be good reference material, or do they sit on your bookshelf? Is there any difference between the "kickstarter" editions and the regular?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
There is no difference in the editions, no. And I do use them for reference. I HATE the stock photos, but other than that I like them. They do have a LOT of typos, but again - I can live with them; the meaning gets across.
I only have the Kickstarter editions, but I thought that the regular editions weren't going to have the extra content (32 or so pages if memory serves) and didn't come with the bag or postcards.

Rodney
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #30

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.