Alchemical symbolism and iconography

Rusty Neon

Help!

Given the importance (at least per Jodorowksy and Camoin) of alchemical symbolism and iconography to interpreting the Marseilles deck, I'm trying to figure out the various stages and the various processes of alchemy. Thus, any help from fellow list members would be appreciated. I'm sure other list members have been as puzzled as me about the alchemical stages and processes. Any corrections or elaborations to what I've mentioned below are welcomed and appreciated. I promise my feathers won't be ruffled. (Spiritual Alchemy is important for tarot. However, in my view, it's good to understand physical alchemy a bit first.) What follows below is very kindergarten level, so please bear with me.

I find the various popular alchemy texts vague and contradictory. I therefore find comfort in what Haeffner writes in _Dictionary of Alchemy_, page 210: " From the variety of diagrammatic illustrations which we find in alchemical manuscripts it is very clear that the stages or processes are jumbled in endless variations. There is no single, standard path to the summit."

For simplicity, I'm limiting my beginning, rudimentary studies of alchemy to one tradition, i.e., the Latin tradition of alchemy, rather than Hellenistic, Arabic, Chinese, etc.

Stages of alchemical work (Latin tradition):

The Small Work was to obtain the white stone, which could transform base metals (e.g., lead) into silver. This work was terminated after the white work.

The Great Work was to obtain the red stone, which would permit transformation of base metals into gold. This work was terminated after the red work.

(1) Nigredo (blackening, the black work)

Alchemical sulphur and alchemical mercury are placed into and combined ("coniunctio": in this case, a bodily marriage, rather than the mystic marriage) in the philosophical egg (the vase/vessel) and heated (i.e., the element of "fire"). As well, there is water (the element of "water") in the vase/vessel.

It seems that if alchemists were using materials from the mineral kingdom, the "sulphur" used in alchemical work was often gold (a small quantity, of course) and the "mercury" used was silver (a small quantity).

I'm not really clear what metals were in fact used as alchemical sulphur and mercury in the black work. But it seems the gold and silver were, by tradition, used. Anyone else know for sure?

The sulphur and mercury could, alternatively, be derived from the materials from the animal or plant kingdom (rather than the mineral kingdom) by preliminary alchemical processes taking place before the start of the black work.

In the case of the plant kingdom, "salt" (body) would be the "calcined salts of the plant"; "sulphur" (soul) would be the essential oils derived from the plant; and "mercury" (spirit) would be the ethyl alchohol derived from the plant. Source: http://www.presentmoment.com/article/1995-3_PM__Med_Alchemy.html

Also, I've read about alchemical "salt" being used in addition to alchemical "sulphur", alchemical "mercury", the water, and the fire? (After all, there are three main "principles" in alchemy: i.e., sulphur, mercury and salt.)

Anyone know what substance was used as "salt" when gold and silver were used as the sulphur and the mercury? Perhaps some traditions of Latin alchemy didn't use "salt"?

Is the vase/vessel considered the "salt"?

Paradoxically, it appears that "salt" - in the form of ash - might be a _result_ of the alchemical process of putrefaction, rather than a starting ingredient.

Alchemical processes during the black work included: "calcination", "putrefaction" (dividing the calcinated elements until destroyed). There may be other processes that are considered part of the black work. I have no idea when various processes start and end and another begins. The processes may even overlap, depending on the traditional source. There was also "condensation" as there was emission of vapours, which condensed. Perhaps condensation is viewed as part of a larger process rather than as a process itself.

Black end product

Spiritual alchemy: Correspondence to death

(2) Albedo (whitening, the white work)

"Solution". Purifying (whitening, cleansing). "Dissolution".

White end product

Spiritual alchemy: Correspondence to ressurrection

(3) Rubedo (the red work)

There were, of course, intermediate colours, such as yellow -which was the end of the yellow stage (of Hellenistic alchemy) -between white and red. Given that yellow and other colours (besides black, white and red) are found in the Tarot de Marseille decks, the intermediate colours would be important to tarot.

It's not clear what processes were used during this stage.

"Distillation". "Conjunction".

Red end product

General points:

There is a second process of coniunctio, this time the "Celestial Mystic Marriage" of alchemical sulphur and alchemical mercury (which presumably is the marriage of opposites that is shown in many historical alchemical illustrations), after they have been separated (as opposed to the Bodily Marriage that started the nigredo stage).

Anyone know at what point in the sequence the "Separation" takes place and at what point the "Celestial Mystic Marriage" takes place?

Which actual physical substances are the alchemical sulphur and alchemical mercury that are combined at that time?

And where do the alchemical sulphur and alchemy mercury for the Celestial Mystic Marriage come from?

Thanks!

Huck

Mercury (quicksilver) is used to win gold out of stones with gold minerals, still nowadays. It pollutes the surrounding and the work is very unhealthy, cause mercury is dangerous.

I don't know, if this "mystery" has anything to do with that, what alchemists tried to hide, but as far I know, this technique was already known at their time.

jmd

If one differentiates between spiritual and physical Alchemy (at least at first), it may certainly begin to make things easier. However, the work of the physical Alchemist describes the observed phenomena, so that to talk of it without observation is a little like trying to describe what a card looks like without the other person actually seeing the card.

In the development of Alchemy, there are various steps which are taken.

The three mentioned seem to be the 'basic' ones, yet they too are an expension from what may have first have been only two steps and processes: that of calcification/coagulation, and dissolution.

Some also point out the seven stages, each one correlated to a planetary being (or body), and yet others discuss twelve, each correlated with the twelve signs of the Wheel ('-diac') of Life (Zöe-).

With regards to the Mercury used in the process of physical experimentation, it is usually from cinnabar (which is a compound of mercury and sulphates, if I recall my relatively poor sense for chemistry).

It may also be that the 'gold' produced by 'successful' alchemists are what we would now rather call a gilting process, and the reddening would undoubtedly have been part of the observations.

I have met some who persist in the Art of Alchemy... and personally find that the equipment, time, space and meticulous dedication far more demanding than most of us have either inclination or disposition for - especially with the pressures of modern living!

HudsonGray

I'm wondering, in Medieval times I know the Church overshadowed a lot of life all across the board (peasant to noble), and even reading historical biographies, timeline guides, etc. I get no sense of alchemists in any of the things I've come across.

Just how common were alchemists? Were they only a few people in each country? Did they have input in some way that was done behind closed doors so they never ended up in paintings, diaries, historical tomes, Domesday books, etc.? Was it individuals who did this behind knowledge of the Church so they wouldn't be shut down? Were they actually the doctors of the time? The ones who were trying to put the midwives out of business and who had the backing of the church in this because of the money factor? Were they nobles or were they in the merchant class (certainly they couldn't have been peasants).

It seems an underground sort of group, one who hasn't made a mark much in art or history unless you dig really deep.

smleite

Rusty Neon,

I’ve recently posted an interesting link about this in a thread you started, (Contemporary Marseilles Study: On-line reference & study resources) so you’ve probably seen it already, but here it goes again:

A site bursting with information about the TdM and Alchemy. Has a wide number of links to more and more information…

http://perso.club-internet.fr/hdelb...t_alchimie.html

Here you can read a lot about a book I’ve read in Portuguese – but it has a very recent English translation. It is a very, very interesting book: Les Demeures Philosophales, by Fulcanelli, or The Dwellings of the Philosophers, now edited by Archive Press & Communications, P.O. Box 11218, Boulder, CO 80301. You can read something about it in http://www.triad-publishing.com/Res_LDP.html.

baba-prague

Hudson,

No, in fact alchemists were in many cases very prominent figures. I think it's just that we have largely forgotten them. in Europe. for example, Doctor John Dee was called "Elizabeth's Merlin" (Elizabeth being Elizabeth 1 of England - so we are talking the Tudor period, rather than the medieval) and he seems to have had considerable power and political influence in the court at some points in his career.
Some of the alchemists of this period seem simply to have been charlatans (there were lots of contemporary jokes in plays and literature, about this) but some were serious - and respected - scientific and/or spiritual scholars.
If you want to read a good, respected academic historian, then Frances Yates is excellent. Try "The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age".

Le_Corsair

baba-prague said:
Hudson,

No, in fact alchemists were in many cases very prominent figures. I think it's just that we have largely forgotten them. in Europe. for example, Doctor John Dee was called "Elizabeth's Merlin" (Elizabeth being Elizabeth 1 of England - so we are talking the Tudor period, rather than the medieval) and he seems to have had considerable power and political influence in the court at some points in his career.
Some of the alchemists of this period seem simply to have been charlatans (there were lots of contemporary jokes in plays and literature, about this) but some were serious - and respected - scientific and/or spiritual scholars.
If you want to read a good, respected academic historian, then Frances Yates is excellent. Try "The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age".

For that matter, Sir Walter Raleigh had a formidible reputation as an alchemist, also. Introducing tobacco smoking to the Elizabethan court would have been enough in itself to have given him such a reputation.

Bob :THERM

filipas

Rusty Neon wrote:
Given the importance (at least per Jodorowksy and Camoin) of alchemical symbolism and iconography to interpreting the Marseilles deck, I'm trying to figure out the various stages and the various processes of alchemy.
Hi Rusty,

There is a very interesting parallel between seven sequential trumps and seven major alchemical processes. The parallel is this: these processes appear in the Hebrew lexicon in alphabetical sequence, and seemingly reflect the symbolic meaning of the trumps corresponding to those respective letters. The sequence begins with the allegory of 'Death':

Trump XIII -- Dissolution (MChY, MSY), Putrefaction (MQQ)
Trump XIV -- Distillation (NZL)
Trump XV -- Fermentation (SVR)
Trump XVI -- Calcination (OKL)
Trump XVII -- Separation (PRD, PRSh)
Trump XVIII -- Conjunction (TzRVP)
Trump XIX -- Coagulation (QRYSh), Fixation (QTzVB)
Trump XX -- Aeration (RVCh), Sublimation (RVMM)
Trump XXI -- Perfection (ShLYM), Diamond (ShMYR)

Some of these parallels are obvious while others may be less so; Trump XVIII, for example, appears in many early Marseilles decks to depict a full solar eclipse (the moon over the sun, and the resulting corona), an event symbolizing alchemical conjunction.

In regards to the terms themselves appearing alphabetically in the lexicon, this would seem to be chance evolution of language but it would still be interesting to compare the above sequence of processes to actual alchemical works.

Thanks,

- Mark

Rusty Neon

Thanks to you all for your information and suggestions.

I just received _The Emerald Tablet: Alchemy for Personal Transformation_ by Dennis William Hauck. I'm still working through it. Maybe this will get me over my alchemy-challengedness. (Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person who never reads non-fiction books cover to cover.)

Hauck lists the following order of seven alchemical processes, which he says is what was given in the Emerald Tablet. He gives tarot card correspondences as well.

Calcination
Dissolution
Separation
Conjunction
Fermentation
Distillation
Coagulation

Mark, thanks for your list of processes and tarot card correspondences. It's always beneficial to compare.

robert m place

Alchemy and Tarot

For those who would like to know more about alchemy and the Tarot I would like to recommend The Alchemical Tarot book and deck. It is out print now but you can still find it on used book lists.