The Book of Shadows Tarot

MountainGirl

Please tell me all the women aren't going to be an airbrushed 18 year old.

Actually, I like it that way. If I want to see wrinkles and sagging bottoms, I can look in the mirror, no need to buy tarot cards for that ;)

vee

Actually, I like it that way. If I want to see wrinkles and sagging bottoms, I can look in the mirror, no need to buy tarot cards for that ;)

There's a middle ground between '18 year old airbrushed girl" and "saggy, wrinkled bottoms!" Women of all ages can be beautiful, warts and all ;).

Shade

Really looking forward to this set, the art is fantastic. I have a lot of pagan decks but this is a must have and I look forward to seeing many more. Will definitely have to get the Barbara Moore kit.

I was surprised to see Yule as Death - in my narrow view I imagined it would be Samhain. Rolling it around in my head for a bit I agree that for so many the interpretation of Death is "One door closes, another opens" and that is very much the magic of Yule.

Oink

There's a middle ground between '18 year old airbrushed girl" and "saggy, wrinkled bottoms!" Women of all ages can be beautiful, warts and all ;).
These two statements seem at odds with each other, to me.

(Not to be confrontational - I enjoy and appreciate your thoughtful and well-written posts, just having trouble reconciling the seemingly disparate thoughts in this one.)

vee

These two statements seem at odds with each other, to me.

(Not to be confrontational - I enjoy and appreciate your thoughtful and well-written posts, just having trouble reconciling the seemingly disparate thoughts in this one.)

Hrm, I think you're right in that those were two separate thoughts.

1. There's a middle ground between those airbrushed 18year old images and saggy wrinkled bottoms, and that is portrayals of women of all ages as beautiful, idealized women. 30+ woman can still be staggeringly beautiful! And of course 18 years can be too, I'm not hating on them. :) . It'd just be nice to see some variety of pretty, I think.

2. Wrinkly, saggy bottomed women can still be beautiful, to me at least. I don't necessarily need idealized forms in my Tarot deck--but I can recognize and appreciate that other people might want that. I am much more moved by a painting that looks like a person I might know than a supermodel. But that's more of a personal preference.

Shade

As a large number of the cards previewed so far feature women I think we can put this question to rest. None of the depictions of ladies in the As Above deck seem in any way exploitative.

Look at Brigid on the Four of Water, she seems to be a lady of normal proportions. Flora on the Three of Water is not straining the fabric at the neckline of her dress. The Emperor card has quite lovely abs but as he is the highest manifestation of the male I can't imagine anyone would begrudge his idealized form. Saturn seems to do a lot of sit-ups as well - he is a Titan and they are known for being wonderful physical specimens.

I think the artists of this deck have done a nice job of giving us very appropriate levels of Divine Perfection.

vee

The only one I think is particularly interesting in that regard is the 4 of Chalices. However, it's not my intention to derail this thread with a conversation about that nor do I think any of the images are exploitative (and I don't expect any of the ones forthcoming to be!). I am very much looking forward to this deck.

Ric, if you are able to take requests, I'd love to see the 2 of Swords!

Oink

It'd just be nice to see some variety of pretty, I think.

This statement really encapsulates how I feel on the matter. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. No matter how we are all socialized, I like to think that we we can still maintain individualistic notions of beauty at least to a certain extent, so the more variety the better.

That said, I don't expect or even necessarily desire that array of diversity on the micro (per-deck) scale, because that's a lot to ask of the artist. Artists should have complete creative freedom, and I get my opportunity to embrace that perspective (or not) by choosing whether or not to buy that deck.

More on-topic, though I'm not Wiccan, I love the two deck concept here. I really appreciate the role Lo Scarabeo plays in bringing interesting themed tarots to market.

irmata

Somebody (me) has a new favourite Queen of Swoooo-oooords!!

callistoluna

Wow - looking forward to seeing this one! It looks great :)