Arthurian (Matthews) vs. Legend: The Arthurian Tarot?

Briar Rose

Here on Aeclectic, Solandia gave it 4 out of 5 stars, and Bonnie Cehovet gave an excellent review on here and wrote this:

"I found this deck very easy to use. It is a deck that I would provide for my in person client readings (I allow my clients to choose the deck of their choice). I highly recommend this deck for anyone that appreciates the Arthurian legend, and believe that those who do not know the legend would not take long to come to an understanding of it."

Le Fanu

Here on Aeclectic, Solandia gave it 4 out of 5 stars, and Bonnie Cehovet gave an excellent review on here and wrote this:

"I found this deck very easy to use. It is a deck that I would provide for my in person client readings (I allow my clients to choose the deck of their choice). I highly recommend this deck for anyone that appreciates the Arthurian legend, and believe that those who do not know the legend would not take long to come to an understanding of it."
Yes, I agree, and I think she makes a good point. But then I think there's a big difference between a deck getting good reviews and it developing into a firm favourite across the years among users. Of course it has its fans, they just need to come out and say so! I often review decks that I think are excellent but in the long term don't use them...

Ambience

I'm just starting with legend Arthurian tarot and i'm enjoying it but it's not a familiar deck to me and is requiring some research into the cards.

I love the artwork and it's got a lovely feel to it.

The other Arthurian (Matthews) i haven't read so i couldn't give any feedback on that :)

Hope that helps x

Jack_Flanders

The Legend deck was one of my first decks. I don't know the Matthews one, but I've added it to my wishlist (I really need to stop doing that to my wallet, lol).

I like the art and connection to the tales that the Legend deck has. A keeper of Words was the first Tarot book that I read cover to cover. Though I feel I have a connection with the deck because it was my first "beloved" deck, I tend not to use it much, so that might say something.

I like the art, and feel that it's "right" for the way that the book approaches interpretations for each card, and like others have said it has a "tale" to tell for every card, and I almost find more enjoyment in reading those tales, most readings I did based on the deck were... almost "fluffy." As in it tended to avoid putting things in a harsh way (this lent to my love of using the Crowley Thoth deck, and how... almost "blunt" in comparison those readings tend to be.

So I'll use this deck for anytime someone asks me to do a reading, but I feel that they don't want a "involved reading," or maybe during a gathering, or something that's not a serious one on one deal. All in all I'd say it's a fun deck, and again, I attempt to keep the book with, and allow the person I'm reading for to experience the stories as well, which tend to be longer readings, but I think it helps a great deal to hear what was intended to be the background of "why" this card is expressed by this meaning.

I honestly don't know if I've helped, hindered, or otherwise influenced this conversation, but I do love the deck.

-JF

RufusJ

I've used the Legend deck almost exclusively for a few years now. For me, the deck is almost blunt to the point of being harsh. Very no-nonsense.

I've not seen the Matthews deck in person.

HighPriestess

My Matthews' Arthurian came today. I must say I took a look at the cards, and it was like taking a rocket launcher to the face, like BOOM!

The online images don't do the cards justice. I thought the white borders would be too distracting, but it turns out I don't really find them to be that distracting at all. The artwork is much more detailed and expressive in person. I really like the landscape minors.

I would still like to wait until I can get the Legend kit though.

Carla

I have both the Legend Arthurian and the Matthews deck. There is no point comparing them as they have nothing at all in common. Therefore, there is a place for both in your collection. Consider yourself enabled. As to which I like best...I don't know. I like both, but not when considered together. I just like them.

morganesky

I had Legend for years, it was the only deck that I kept through numerous sales and I loved her to bits. She has gone to an amazing home as I have new loves now but she was fabulous to read with. I think I have just outgrown my Celtic phase at the moment, but can still highly recommend the deck.

Briar Rose

I got mine new Arthurian Legend in the purple box kit which contains the book, Keep of Words and a spread sheet. The deck is so beautiful, and the book is so informative. It could take a lifetime to really get to know. Now I have to get busy and make a sturdy box for my cards.

So now I have 2 copies of Keepr of Words, if anyone needs a copy. And does anyone have a copy of the little book they don't want? If yours is collecting dust I sure would love to put it to good use, as I don't have one of those, and I would love it!

Carla

I got mine new Arthurian Legend in the purple box kit which contains the book, Keep of Words and a spread sheet. The deck is so beautiful, and the book is so informative. It could take a lifetime to really get to know. Now I have to get busy and make a sturdy box for my cards.

So now I have 2 copies of Keepr of Words, if anyone needs a copy. And does anyone have a copy of the little book they don't want? If yours is collecting dust I sure would love to put it to good use, as I don't have one of those, and I would love it!

What's the little book?? I don't want to be missing out on something! :)