Favorite Extant TdM?

Krystal Mystic

Noblet 4 life. I'm with LRichard on this one. I really want more cleaned up re-issues, if you will, of the old decks. The facsimiles are really neat, but I don't want to read with them, so much. I would love to see a redrawing of the Vieville, and the Burdel, though. (For those cartiers out there, reading this!)

P.S., that Madenie facsimile, though!

I agree with you. I like the facsimiles for studying how the iconography developed over time, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read with them. For readings, I also prefer the cleaned up versions. I do want the drawings to stay true to the original as closely as possible, but I don't mind if the deck is recolored, as long as the color palette is pleasing to me. I like warm, rich colors, which is why I also like the Fournier and Universal Marseiile (Burdel). I like the Noblet as well.

delizt

I but I don't mind if the deck is recolored, as long as the color palette is pleasing to me. I like warm, rich colors,

I think that is a great point! For me, the re-done, cleaned up versions are too "bright" I like the subtle, softer colorations I find in the older-looking cards...

Other than the Noblet, are there others with softer, warm coloring on a beige background?

now a cleaned up Vieville that keeps the lovely warm coloration would be perfect!!

DeToX

I love the CBD dearly (and love the book) but my primary TdM is the Noblet. However, the Madenie is next on my purchase list now that I have the Sivilixi editions of the Vieville and Tarot de Paris (both of which are incredible facsimiles) so my current opinion may change.

Sorry I think I missed what your opinion actually was!

DeToX

This is a tough one, probably Heron's Conver - I think it's OOP but still available if that counts (?), but if are talking semi-TdMs then Vieville is top, with Ancient Italian Tarots coming a close second, Conver being delegated a much lower rank lol

Krystal Mystic

I think that is a great point! For me, the re-done, cleaned up versions are too "bright" I like the subtle, softer colorations I find in the older-looking cards...

Other than the Noblet, are there others with softer, warm coloring on a beige background?

now a cleaned up Vieville that keeps the lovely warm coloration would be perfect!!

I believe Robledo (AT's eltarot78) has restored the Dodal with an "aged" background. I would like to see some scans of his Dodal but haven't been able to find any. I don't know if Flornoy's Dodal or Vieville Majors decks have a beige background or not, but since his Noblet does maybe these do too. Apart from these two artists, most restorers seem to use white backgrounds.

The colors in a deck really make the most difference in whether I will actually read with a deck. Many years ago I bought a Tarot Classic deck. I loved the drawings but eventually stopped using it because I hated the colors, especially the garish fuschia. Not too long ago I found a reissue of the same deck, now called Tarot de Marseille, but colored differently. (The new colors are actually very close to the colors of the original 1870 deck.) I love using this one so much more. I think that using decks with a color scheme you find pleasing can be important for many people.

Krystal Mystic

This is a tough one, probably Heron's Conver - I think it's OOP but still available if that counts (?), but if are talking semi-TdMs then Vieville is top, with Ancient Italian Tarots coming a close second, Conver being delegated a much lower rank lol

Heron's Conver is back in print. I just bought one a few weeks ago from a U.S. seller.

BSwett

Facsimiles are not my thing, but the Pierre Madenié is tempting.

However, not being an antiquarian or Luddite, I like to imagine that J. S. Bach would have been involved in jazz, had he lived in modern times, and the designers of the classic TdM decks would have taken advantage of today's printing technology had it been available to them.

Oh but imagine the shame if the Goldberg Variations were soaked in tobacco smoke, frantic snare drums and 'jazz hands'...

But yes, as much as i love to unfold my retro facsimiles, nothing reads like a present day CBD or Flornoy's Dodal.

eltarot78

I believe Robledo (AT's eltarot78) has restored the Dodal with an "aged" background. I would like to see some scans of his Dodal but haven't been able to find any.

Hello Krystal Mystic

I leave here a sample of my work

(the picture does not reflect ends as seen in real life)

delizt

this is a lovely deck and I just recently purchased it! I love the warm colors and the "aged" ness of it. It still has cleaned up ish lines....one of my favorites!!

delizt

Heron's Conver? Can anyone point me to that one? thanks