Best general tarot reference book? (not learning)

Sassyinkpen

I would like recommendations for a good general tarot reference book that can serve as my authority on tarot beyond the little white books.

I would like something that will work with a variety of decks, not extremely specific to Rider Waite, for instance, but could follow that format. What I don't want is for the book to be discussing the specific details of a card because it expects it to look like Rider Waite, or be a close variation of that card)

I don't need it to have a lot of content on LEARNING to read tarot, because I can get that from other sources.

It would be nice if it had some sections on symbolism, numerology, etc.

I'd like to be able to rely on the guides that come with the decks, and one other universal source. I primarily read for myself and don't want to fall into the trap of looking at lots of sources to find meanings I want. I'd like a book I can learn meanings from that I don't have to translate from the Rider Waite deck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions even if they don't fit all that, but are close.

Thanks!

Darkmage

I got lucky and scored this a while back. If you're looking for a discussion and quick reference of meanings and symbols, this is one of the best books I've found. Sadly, though, it's OOP. Look for a paperback in good used condition. That's how I found mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Tarot-Bill-Butler/dp/0805205594

Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot is also a winner. Expect to shell out for all four volumes, though. :(

Amanda

This is the book I used as a reference type of book: Tarot Plain and Simple

Looks like they may have updated it, or at least the cover: Plain and Simple, New Cover

It seems he has a bit more of a Rider-Waite background, and he uses the Robin Wood tarot for card illustrations, but his interpretations are not specific to that deck.

It does dabble into other things, like numerology and astrological associations.

It says on the back of the book:

Whether you are a beginner who is trying to uncover the Tarot's symbolism for the first time, or you are an expert using it as the handy reference guide, Tarot Plain and Simple will help you get the most from your Tarot deck.

I believe that is entirely true. I got this book as a beginner and long after I stopped using it, I still reference it sometimes when I've got something on the tip of my tongue about a card; I use the book to jog my memory and re-expand my mind a little bit further.

If you'd like to see the set-up for one of the cards, I'm sure I could do a scan of the book for you.

magpie9

Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot.
It Rocks.

Sassyinkpen

Thanks! These are some great suggestions. I really appreciate it

Colleen007

Holistic Tarot

I just purchased the Holistic Tarot by Benebell Wen and it arrived earlier this week. At almost 900 pages, it has a lot of info in it. In fairness, I have not had time to truly delve into it as I am partway thru another tarot book that is specific to a new deck.
However, it looks truly amazing, one huge book with everything in it. There are chapters on interpreting the court cards, an entire chapter on how to do the "Opening of the Key", chapters on astrological symbols and elemental associations, elemental dignities, numerology, and even a chapter on "Tarot and Love".
There are hundreds of pages dealing with all the aspects of spreads.
And let's not forget card meanings.
It is the kind of book I will be putting lots of sticky notes into for quick reference.
If you check out the Amazon listing you will see plenty of reviews. It looks to be highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Taro...qid=1422073722&sr=1-1&keywords=holistic+tarot