My Next "Purposed" TdM

Barleywine

I'm closing in on the TdM deck I want next. I have a particular purpose in mind: I've developed a couple of spreads that require two decks to ensure that competing paths or "trains" in the question have equal access to all of the possibilites shown in the cards. I presently have the Fournier, but nothing to use in tandem with it except my wife's old Classic and its "fuschia" patches. This is what it's come down to:

In terms of sympathetic coloring, the Universal comes closest, and hopefully it still comes with Lee's book from Lo Scarabeo. It's also the least expensive of those I'm interested in.

The CBD is wonderfully crisp and clear, with stong coloring.

The ISIS definitely has "presence."

The Hadar has very nicely muted coloring, but it isn't clear from Amazon's site whether they're just selling a book in French or the actual deck.

The Grimaud is also a contender, but its availability may be drying up.

The accurate "historical restoration" decks aren't really what I want for this purpose, and I don't want square corners since I don't trust myself to round them, even with the right tool.

Also, much as I like the Marseille Cats, I want something a little closer to traditional. Similarly, I don't want to deal with Jodorowsky's "innovations."

Among my top five choices, I have no feel for comparative quality in terms of cardstock and overall production values. I assume if I'm paying in the range of $50 USD that these would be excellent. I did see one comment on Amazon that said the Universal's cardstock is on the thin side. From what I've seen in other threads, I don't suppose I could go wrong with either the CBD or the ISIS.

Any insights comparing just these five would be appreciated, unless anyone knows of a deck I haven't seen that would suit my purpose.

Philippe

May I suggest the Piatnik ?

Of course not the best engraver but very readable because of its uncluttered style, the creamy white is delightful to the eyes, the corners are rounded and the cardstock is imo the best of all the decks I have seen until now

Barleywine

May I suggest the Piatnik ?

Of course not the best engraver but very readable because of its uncluttered style, the creamy white is delightful to the eyes, the corners are rounded and the cardstock is imo the best of all the decks I have seen until now

Thank you for the suggestion. I do like the calm feel of it. But I held my Fournier cards up to the screen scans and it looks like they would "bully" the Piatnik if used in tandem.

jema

The Hadar on the canadian amazon is the deck, I know cause I once bought it from them:-D

My fave TdMs are either the Robledo ones or the Flornoys, but I am also very much wanting the CBD.

So I suggest the CBD, not expensive, clear and expressive, fellow AT:er...

Barleywine

The Hadar on the canadian amazon is the deck, I know cause I once bought it from them:-D

My fave TdMs are either the Robledo ones or the Flornoys, but I am also very much wanting the CBD.

So I suggest the CBD, not expensive, clear and expressive, fellow AT:er...

Turns out the Spanish Tarot is more than I want to pay. The CBD is priced right around what I consider reasonable for a "premium" deck by US standards. I did find it state-side as a book-and-deck set for just a little more but I already have the book. Right now I'm thinking I'll buy the Universal for pairing with the Fournier (and hopefully to get Lee's book) and the CBD just because.

Rose Lalonde

I don't know if this detail is a plus or a minus for your purposes, or if it's even important, but the CBD faces are altered to look a little more friendly. As he says on the site, "I made especially significant changes in the face expressions, since an exact copy would have made them too gloomy and depressive to a present-day reader. Still, I tried to preserve the general physical traits."

kalliope

Turns out the Spanish Tarot is more than I want to pay. The CBD is priced right around what I consider reasonable for a "premium" deck by US standards. I did find it state-side as a book-and-deck set for just a little more but I already have the book. Right now I'm thinking I'll buy the Universal for pairing with the Fournier (and hopefully to get Lee's book) and the CBD just because.

If I were you, I'd put up a saved search on Ebay for the Spanish Tarot, it's a really quirky and appealing deck, and would be a great match for the Fournier you already have.

Barleywine

I don't know if this detail is a plus or a minus for your purposes, or if it's even important, but the CBD faces are altered to look a little more friendly. As he says on the site, "I made especially significant changes in the face expressions, since an exact copy would have made them too gloomy and depressive to a present-day reader. Still, I tried to preserve the general physical traits."

I was aware of this. I don't feel strongly either way about it. The overall feel of the deck is most important.