Medicine Cards: Mountain Lion

DragonFae

Ok I looked at the Index for Medicine Cards and I saw several threads but none with individual cards so I decided to start one for Mountain Lion. The reason is when I did my first card draw for 2015 I asked which animal would walk with me, teach me etc. during 2015. I drew Mountain Lion so I want to explore it a bit.

#17 Mountain Lion (Leadership)

I thought an interesting comment in the book really resonated with me. That was "the ability to lead without insisting others follow." I think this speaks to my approach when I get interested in something or set up a project...I do it mostly "for me" if others want to come along....the more the merrier but I also realize that everyone might not be walking the same path I am.

The medicine of mountain lion is power and leadership but it's much more than that. Mountain lion can shred you to pieces and then build you back up again. Mountain lion is about assertiveness with a pure heart and purpose.

Mountain lion wishes to teach those who encounter him that they should pay attention to their actions and words and how they affect others. Make sure your passion does not come across too sharply or that you are not clinging to something too tightly. Listen to mountain lion and he will help you balance intention, power, and strength.

The path of mountain lion can be a hard one to walk because one is always in a position to be a magnet for other people's problems. It can be difficult to lead as others may place blame on you. It is also hard to lead sometimes without coming across too strongly and appearing to be controlling. It's best to remember that sometimes even when you "know" the answer it's best to let people struggle and achieve it on their own.

Mi-Shell

I would like to ad, that for the Zuni People the Cougar/ Mountain Lion is “Elder Brother Mountain Lion”and stands as the Medicine Guardian of the North direction.
He is seen as the Master Hunter, that teaches hunting skills like stealth and patience to the young men. When in camp however, these young men are to emulate strength, patience with the young and weak as well as grace and courtesy in their dealings with the woman folk.
Cougar/ Catamount also teaches about holding territory and respecting territorial boundaries – of self and others.

When portrayed as a fetish by Zuni – and now in modern times also other stone carvers - Mountain Lion is adorned with a piece of White Mussel Shell – for North, Red Coral -for life Blood and black Jet – as the sum of all colours. Often also a piece of Turquoise for healing or a Turquoise arrow is added. Truly old fetishes can be recognized by the tail being bent backwards over the back of the Mountain Lion.
Such a fetish would be kept together with others on or in a fetish jar. On a regular basis food and medicine gift would be fed to the fetishes ( = Tobacco, Cornmeal, Turquoise for example)

Attachments

• Mountain Lion petroglyph Petrified Forest National Park AZ.jpg
    Mountain Lion petroglyph Petrified Forest National Park AZ.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 678
  • turquoise Mtlon fetish.jpg
    turquoise Mtlon fetish.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 682
  • mt lion fetish2.jpg
    mt lion fetish2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 699
  • Edna-Leki-Zuni-Fetish-Pot.jpg
    Edna-Leki-Zuni-Fetish-Pot.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 662

Smiling

Ok I looked at the Index for Medicine Cards and I saw several threads but none with individual cards so I decided to start one for Mountain Lion. The reason is when I did my first card draw for 2015 I asked which animal would walk with me, teach me etc. during 2015. I drew Mountain Lion so I want to explore it a bit.

#17 Mountain Lion (Leadership)

I thought an interesting comment in the book really resonated with me. That was "the ability to lead without insisting others follow." I think this speaks to my approach when I get interested in something or set up a project...I do it mostly "for me" if others want to come along....the more the merrier but I also realize that everyone might not be walking the same path I am.

The medicine of mountain lion is power and leadership but it's much more than that. Mountain lion can shred you to pieces and then build you back up again. Mountain lion is about assertiveness with a pure heart and purpose.

Mountain lion wishes to teach those who encounter him that they should pay attention to their actions and words and how they affect others. Make sure your passion does not come across too sharply or that you are not clinging to something too tightly. Listen to mountain lion and he will help you balance intention, power, and strength.

The path of mountain lion can be a hard one to walk because one is always in a position to be a magnet for other people's problems. It can be difficult to lead as others may place blame on you. It is also hard to lead sometimes without coming across too strongly and appearing to be controlling. It's best to remember that sometimes even when you "know" the answer it's best to let people struggle and achieve it on their own.

The Mountain Lion/Leadership is so fitting for this year-long oracle study that you've started, as you have taken a "leadership" role... :)

Milfoil

Very interesting Mi-Shell. I used to find it somewhat difficult to find the middle ground when a modern interpretation given on a card differed markedly from the intuitive and historic meanings that I had researched.

So now I consider the word on the card or the LWB meaning but combine it with what I know and see where that takes me. Sometimes they just don't agree and then it's case of going with what feels right . . .

I would like to ad, that for the Zuni People the Cougar/ Mountain Lion is “Elder Brother Mountain Lion”and stands as the Medicine Guardian of the North direction.
He is seen as the Master Hunter, that teaches hunting skills like stealth and patience to the young men. When in camp however, these young men are to emulate strength, patience with the young and weak as well as grace and courtesy in their dealings with the woman folk.
Cougar/ Catamount also teaches about holding territory and respecting territorial boundaries – of self and others.

When portrayed as a fetish by Zuni – and now in modern times also other stone carvers - Mountain Lion is adorned with a piece of White Mussel Shell – for North, Red Coral -for life Blood and black Jet – as the sum of all colours. Often also a piece of Turquoise for healing or a Turquoise arrow is added. Truly old fetishes can be recognized by the tail being bent backwards over the back of the Mountain Lion.
Such a fetish would be kept together with others on or in a fetish jar. On a regular basis food and medicine gift would be fed to the fetishes ( = Tobacco, Cornmeal, Turquoise for example)

Mi-Shell

Good point, Milfoil! This is, why I feel, the interpretations should stand side by side so people know... Incidentally, I am just working on putting the Mountain Lion post onto my Tarot blog. There I also want to tell the 2 stories of when and how I myself came face to face with a Mountain Lion.(I hope to have that done in a day or 2... )
These 2 incidences of course will be forever on my mind and will also inform my feeling, when this card comes up.